Freeman's Mind Announcer Pack Trailer (for DOTA 2)

Then my rating it a $5 gives an approximate 50% of the voters the purchase, but it's more likely to be more than half...

That seems too generous. What are you basing this off of? I estimate it'd be more like a quarter, but that's just a hunch.

Do you know how many people play DOTA2 on a daily basis? Steam lists it as 300,000-350,000 players constant 24-7... That isn't just the same people all week either according to them. That many people, and this gets to purchasable, I think 7000+ purchasers at $5 would be underestimating, especially when the people of this forum start playing with it and advertising in-game.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

At this point I just want Valve so say Yes or No to this announcer pack and get us out of this limbo. At the rate the votes are increasing it'll be weeks til it gets to 10K, and even then, who knows what the time it'll take between Valve greenlighting it and Dota releasing it. This has taken up a significant amount of Mr. Scott's time, so I hope the pack does go through, especially since Valve has no real reason NOT to release it. Even if only a quarter of the voters buy this $10 pack that's still a lot of money going to Valve and they didn't even have to do any of the work, so there's no downside to releasing this pack. What are they afraid of?!?

Well I just noticed an announcer with 13K votes still waiting for approval since June.

This might take longer than you think Ross.

"Longer than I think" implies that I think there's a date Valve will eventually respond to this. I have no such expectations. I just wanted to try my best to make it visible.

How large part of the sales do you get Ross 80%? I would donate but I'm lacking the money to donate so I want as much of what I spend on your products to go to you!
I have no idea. It will have to get in the store first anyway.

It's not the words, its that the lines just feel rushed lacking emotion.
Well the thing is, within the game context, I actually wanted things a bit more neutral. When you do over 600 lines, consistency from line to line is important. Otherwise it will be a combination of super energetic clashing right back to a neutral line for when another tower is under attack with a standard announcement. I think it will sound more fitting actually in the game, with people playing it. The trailer was more to show off some highlights, but still give an idea of what the pack will be like. In other words, I didn't "cheat" and make the lines specifically for the trailer, creating a false impression. I took lines like you'll hear them in the game and strung together different situations (granted, a couple of the responses were "idle" ones though). Every line you hear in the trailer is in pack and you'll hear it in the game, given long enough gameplay.

At this point I just want Valve so say Yes or No to this announcer pack and get us out of this limbo. At the rate the votes are increasing it'll be weeks til it gets to 10K, and even then, who knows what the time it'll take between Valve greenlighting it and Dota releasing it.
Valve works in mysterious ways man. On one hand, someone will have to review and process my pack manually, and that takes time. On the other hand, this is a company worth billions, so you'd THINK someone could do that, but again, they work in mysterious ways. There's nothing sacred about 10k views, I just picked it as a big round number that I thought I might be able to hit. I'll be releasing the next FM episode as soon as it's done (the next one is another long one).

I just picked it as a big round number that I thought I might be able to hit.

I personally use 88 for that...

BTG, Atvis: I'm going to say that you're both WAY too optimistic as far as the sales:votes ratio goes. I'm sure you remember the Freeman's Mind Gathering Ross organised some time ago - if I recall correctly the ratio of people actually visiting to those that said that they would visit was roughly 1:400.

Now I think there's reason to expect a significantly better ratio in this case, but as an upvoter myself I have to admit that whether I'll buy this pack or not also depends on whether I'll be able to get into DOTA or not when this pack releases. Hopefully Valve do make this happen, though, as until then the ratio of buyers:voters will remain rather low anyway...

whether I'll buy this pack or not also depends on whether I'll be able to get into DOTA or not when this pack releases.

It's free to play...

It's free to play...

I tend to buy games in cheap sales anyway (hooray for Steam!), so enjoyability is a lot more important criterion for a game than price for me. I'm not going to spend my time playing a game I don't enjoy, whereas I'll happily buy a game I do enjoy even if it offers only a couple of hours of gameplay.

Alternatively: 'get into', not 'get' : P. Or is that my confusion and does that phrasal verb not mean what I think it does?

Sometimes "get into" means something different when the game in question is recently out of beta, since many people don't know it's out of beta until as far as a year after the fact. I know many who still think it's in closed beta, hence the statement that it's available, and free.

Have you tried playing? Now's the time to start if you haven't. (fewer professionals kicking people's asses across the map right now, and no REAL hacks)

The tiny problem with the whole Freeman's mind gathering event was that it was 1st of all in America and it was in a specific state which basically means that only people that were in that city or region were the only ones that would arrive as travel costs both precious money and time. 2nd People have other things to do like family time or buddy time.
No, that's irrelevant, because there was a poll asking people "WILL YOU COME TO THIS MEETUP?" with the location and date already announced and the ratio of people who said "yes" then didn't show up was extremely small. So I think Giant Napkin has a legitimate point on that front. That said, if it was actually in the Steam store, who knows what would happen.

You should make profiles in social a network.
I'm still having difficulty keeping up with the emails. The more time I spend on social media, the less time I'm making videos. Maybe I could appoint someone to handle social network / marketing stuff and they could help with more updates.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Ross,

I've been checking the Steam site for the announcer pack. The number of votes reached quite fast to the 7k votes, and since then, it has tanked. It hasn't reached the 8k yet. It seems that the audience of this site is around that number. I used to receive updates directly from Youtube. I started to check this site after the whole Machinima issue unwrapped.

You should make profiles in social a network. A fake twitter profile for Gordon Freeman. There are already 3 of them, the more popular followed by 2k. Yours should be far more popular than that. Just a couple of tweets per week, quoting the FM series in the context of current news (stuff like: "with the budget cuts in military research, it shouldn't be a surprise that our experiments are failing. Karma", or "If we we give Medicare to illegal immigrants, would that include the creatures from Zen?"). And every once in a while, promote an official account for Accursed Farms. You can do that in Google+, and forward automatically your posts to twitter. Many tech journalist do that. That should increase the impact and spread of your voice, beyond this website.

That shouldn't take too long to set up. Check Google+. The community feedback is amazing and would love geek stuff like FM.

Good luck, and take care

sudo make me a sandwich

The tiny problem with the whole Freeman's mind gathering event was that it was 1st of all in America and it was in a specific state which basically means that only people that were in that city or region were the only ones that would arrive as travel costs both precious money and time. 2nd People have other things to do like family time or buddy time.
No, that's irrelevant, because there was a poll asking people "WILL YOU COME TO THIS MEETUP?" with the location and date already announced and the ratio of people who said "yes" then didn't show up was extremely small. So I think Giant Napkin has a legitimate point on that front. That said, if it was actually in the Steam store, who knows what would happen.

You should make profiles in social a network.
I'm still having difficulty keeping up with the emails. The more time I spend on social media, the less time I'm making videos. Maybe I could appoint someone to handle social network / marketing stuff and they could help with more updates.

Do like celebrities. They don't answer email. They tweet. It's public, and every tweet response probably answer 100 questions at the same time. Kinda of a FAQ like. Also, the fact that it's public and everyone can read it, is a favorable environment for comedy.

Last week, one of the spoiled rich kids of a celebrity tweeted that everyone should drop school. Of course, he's rich, so he doesn't have to study, or work hard. Now, saying that loud, epic fail, sad and certainly funny. An email wouldn't had the same impact. Thus, tweet. Or use Google+ let it to post your messages automatically into Twitter.

BTW, a FM response to that tweet would have been so cool. ("Hey, stupid rich kid, I have a PhD and a crowbar, and I know how to use both. STFU")

sudo make me a sandwich

IT'S OVER 9000!

7 year old memes aside, it is at over 90% of the goal, but the ratings seemed to have slowed to a crawl. Is there a minimum amount of ratings you need for it to be approved or...?

Hi there. Today i launched my Steam, and suddenly decided to watch out, how "Freeman's Mind announcer pack for DotA 2" going... And you know, it was really disappointing to see it still in workshop..

Well, i got an idea, which i'm trying to get to Ross Scott.

A good friend of mine got the online show on Youtube. He is not famous like Ray William Johnson or so. But he position himself as Dota 2 player. And his audience (Thousands of users) is Dota gamers as Well. And many of them enjoyed "Freeman's mind" show. So... if Ross still wants to FINALLY PUT HIS awesome ANNOUNCER PACK into a game. Than maybe we could make some kind of Announcement in that show, that also could represent him among the Russian gamers.

I repeat. The show is Russian. Title is "Сравнения" [sravneniya] Which Means "Comparison". In that show this guy compares some good stuff (like St.Petersburg and Moscow cities.)

Example i mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-l5OdgOgzg

Finally, Mr.Scott. Ross. If You reading this, if you kinda interested and you will have some time for it... Than just let me know by this forum, or by skype contact: "Slidespeaker"

You know its a shame the majority of people going nana's over this pack on the steam workshop page dont have the enthusiasm to come here to voice their approval, would bring in quite alot of site traffic

I know Mr Boss Ross Man is a busy fella, but dare I ask if theres any continuation on the problem of this not being a thing yet?

Im sure the flock of steam users on the workshop page would love to hear an announcement (from the workshop item) on where it stands at the mo, seeing as how its the highest rated announcer item at the present moment with well over 10,000 ratings

Hey Ross, I've been watching for a long time, and in the past few months have gotten pretty far into Dota. I'd really like to see your pack in the game.

I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but I'd recommend contacting the DotaCinema folks, as they seem to have an easy time getting content into the game. They were the first folks to get particle effects in, and they're even helping the guys at Galactic Cafe get the Stanley Parable pack in.

Here's the link to their contact page, I hope you'll consider it:http://www.dotacinema.com/contact

Hey Ross, I've been watching for a long time, and in the past few months have gotten pretty far into Dota. I'd really like to see your pack in the game.

I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but I'd recommend contacting the DotaCinema folks, as they seem to have an easy time getting content into the game. They were the first folks to get particle effects in, and they're even helping the guys at Galactic Cafe get the Stanley Parable pack in.

Here's the link to their contact page, I hope you'll consider it:http://www.dotacinema.com/contact

It's kinda disappointing to hear that being able to release and distribute quality content is once again more about who you know than how good it is.

That said, the Stanley Parable pack is pretty friggen fantastic in every way possible, and the full audio can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzxh1ubAoko

I could listen to this forever.

Unfortunately, listening to this has kinda made me realize that the Narrator is basically just a more philosophical and British GlaDos, but it is still pretty funny.

Also, don't know how well it fits to the scripting "rules", based on some of these rather lengthy responses...

Still confused about the "not compatible" business the FM voice pack faced, then.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

It's kinda disappointing to hear that being able to release and distribute quality content is once again more about who you know than how good it is.

It is unfortunate, but it's sort of the way of the world. Valve in particular are just difficult to get ahold of since they don't seem to have actual people dedicated to do this sort of work. I'm just hoping we can get this pack in the game, because between it, The Bastion Announcer, and The Stanley Parable Announcer, I'd be in heaven. Plus it would be a total waste for all those recordings to go unheard. I don't generally listen to in-game music, but I always listen to the announcers, and I'd love to be able to pay Ross for something other than just donating.

Speaking of that Stanley Parable pack, after hearing some of it I've been wondering how could anything in the Freeman's Mind pack be too long for it to be "compatible".