Things have changed...

Sign in to follow this  

Here is a question to the Accursed Farms community:

Has the internet changed for the worse in the past decade or so?

My perspective:

Well, granted I was like only 10 when I started watching Youtube and using the internet in earnest, I personally remember the internet used to be a lot less..... commercialized. It just felt that sites like Youtube had a special thing going on, you could watch videos without constant ad's, and the content was cool and new and fresh, and was able to be (at times) niche, without being Hipster.

Well, that is just highly cynical and depressing me. How about you?

I wouldn't say the entire shebang has changed for the worse. Parts of it, sure, such as it's community, but what else do you expect when millions upon billions of people are all using it? But there are some things that are only getting better. Charity services, technology, even Twitter and Facebook have some uses.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I think everyone will agree here that youtube has definitely gone down the shittier and there is probably no saving it.

But for the add things you could always just be an asshole like me and block literally every ad out there.

I've had a YouTube account for 7 years now and it was painfult to see how goo+ added more descruction to it. And google slowly eating it in its own power trippin madness.

I don't mind commercialization, it's a natural process. I mind taking the power from people bulding internet communites and giving it to corporations. The power was really stolen with a trick. Every product and site has its end, so I can see YouTube collapsing, just really slow. It's a pity it's this kind of an ending. You can still find real treasures there but it's harder. This all makes me sad.

But in the same time I may be wrong. Things change, new websites rise, we know it! ;)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Internet. Internet never changes.

Well, my thoughts on the matter is that it was inevitable as more people got onto the Internet and it has become, basically, an appliance rather than some newfangled technology. But I think that the Internet has changed for the better. I remember just a dozen years ago, I couldn't watch videos like I do now. Accursed Farms could not exist because the technology for the lay person did not allow for such. I could possibly download the video, but the megabyte-age that would be required on dial-up speeds would take DAYS to download a single video. I remember one time being connected for over a week just to download a single video. Now I can download gigabytes of data in a single hour.

This has opened up a wide berth of possibilities for the better. And the worse. It's human nature.

Life on the Internet has changed.

(Apologies to Fallout.)

I've had a YouTube account for 7 years now and it was painfult to see how goo+ added more descruction to it. And google slowly eating it in its own power trippin madness.

I don't mind commercialization, it's a natural process. I mind taking the power from people bulding internet communites and giving it to corporations. The power was really stolen with a trick. Every product and site has its end, so I can see YouTube collapsing, just really slow. It's a pity it's this kind of an ending. You can still find real treasures there but it's harder. This all makes me sad.

But in the same time I may be wrong. Things change, new websites rise, we know it! ;)

Yeah, YouTube is just getting worse and worse both for its users and creators. It's disheartening to see them literally take away people's money that they have worked hard for with the greedy content ID system. Makes me sick.

But again, the internet is a thing in constant change and evolution. Where YouTube might get less popular, new sites may spring up that offer better alternatives. I remain positive on the future cause the future is always unknown.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Looks like the internet's changed (or will change) for the worse:

fEZihk3MWE8

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I wouldn't say the entire shebang has changed for the worse. Parts of it, sure, such as it's community, but what else do you expect when millions upon billions of people are all using it? But there are some things that are only getting better. Charity services, technology, even Twitter and Facebook have some uses.

Pretty much agree on most of those points, though I am slightly concerned about how the internet went from a nice add on to become a basic thing needed to function in modern society. Not saying that is necessarily bad, but I think we should all give some thought at least if that is really the best thing for us all.

I think everyone will agree here that youtube has definitely gone down the shittier and there is probably no saving it.

But for the add things you could always just be an asshole like me and block literally every ad out there.

I agree on the youtube part. And in typical me fashion, I am too fucking lazy to install adblocker (though I should look into it)

I agree on all points here (I have been watching youtube since about 2006, made my first account in 2007, never made any videos though). I think the internet becoming more commercialized was inevitable, and is not all bad. I mean, we would not really have a lot of websites without the profit motive (Imagine what internet would be like in the USSR, if it still existed...). I also agree, that all things (empires, ideologies, people, *websites*) meet their end. As for a new site rising.... I am a super pessimist, so I don't see that happening soon, though I imagine eventually someone will get around to it.

Internet. Internet never changes.

Well, my thoughts on the matter is that it was inevitable as more people got onto the Internet and it has become, basically, an appliance rather than some newfangled technology. But I think that the Internet has changed for the better. I remember just a dozen years ago, I couldn't watch videos like I do now. Accursed Farms could not exist because the technology for the lay person did not allow for such. I could possibly download the video, but the megabyte-age that would be required on dial-up speeds would take DAYS to download a single video. I remember one time being connected for over a week just to download a single video. Now I can download gigabytes of data in a single hour.

This has opened up a wide berth of possibilities for the better. And the worse. It's human nature.

Life on the Internet has changed.

(Apologies to Fallout.)

I guess things got generally better, and true, I don't miss dial up, but it was kind of cool back in the days when the internet was really more a subculture-y than mainstream.

Though, I was generally referring to the internet of 8 or 9 years ago, not 14 or 15.

(since all these quotes are slowing down my browser):

@Alyxx Throne

Content ID does suck.

@Psychotic Ninja (seriously man, I think you need to look into a new career if you are really psychotic ;))

Will watch later, though judging from the title and the topic, I generally don't like government in the internet.

BTW, Hi NSA :D

Looks like the internet's changed (or will change) for the worse:

fEZihk3MWE8

Oh... yeah... that...

F*ck the American government...

I really need to keep up with my civil liberties issues......

Granted, the guy seems kinda borderline conspiracy theorist (then again, I used to listen to Alex Jones, and even considered joining a militia), none the less, some concerns over overbearing government are legitimate. Especially since 9/11.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/obama-announces-mild-surveillance-reforms/

Now, while this is more about surveillance issues, maybe small (OK, *very* small!) steps are being forced along to finally restore some sense of pre 9/11 normalcy when it comes to cyberspace and civil liberties?

The only thing I use on google+ are hangouts but rest of it is totally useless. I have no idea but I've been those short yers in here and some things started to piss me off more recently. We still have alot of good things out here but well... maybe I'm just more grumpy.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"