What the FUCK am I doing?

Sign in to follow this  

Ever have a moment when you ask yourself what the FUCK you're doing? Share it with the community.

Mine was just a couple minutes ago. I was playing (a HEAVILY modded version of) Skyrim, and was starting to think about percentage armour systems (which I generally hate), then that drifted into thought on how the value of percentage resistances is not linear, developed a formula for determining their relative value, and was testing it out with a couple different figures in my head, then I suddenly realised that while I was not paying attention to my actions my pre-pubescent character was now selling her panties to a sleasy man in one of the shops (for FOUR GOLD!) and asked myself the titular question verbatim. I guess that's what I get for leaving my actions on autopilot.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

One of mine was a few weeks ago when my mind was so preoccupied with something else that I ended up pouring milk in the coffee mug with a teabag in it and pouring the hot water on the cereal instead. I made it all the way back to the table, sat down, picked up my spoon and then realized what I'd just done.

Retired Forum Moderator

I've taken clothes out of the dryer and put them in the washing machine before. Same response.

Last week I went to grab my phone, then went outside to get in the car... No phone.

Went back in to get my phone, and some stuff for the car, then went back outside... Still no phone.

Went back inside intending to get my phone again, ran around the house for a while without really doing anything, then went back outside. Phone not retrieved.

Finally I went straight for my phone, constantly reminding myself vocally that I needed to get my phone. Retrieved phone, forgot wallet.

Went back inside for wallet...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I had a similar issue with my iPod display and the time. Somebody would ask me for the time, so I'd look at the display. Then I still didn't know what time it was. So I'd look at the display again. Then they'd ask what time it was, and I'd tell them I didn't know, look at the display one more time, then tell them.

Last night I put the ice cream in the fridge for some reason.

Sometimes my short memory/attention span can lead to this. In IMs and chats and the like, I've managed to forget things that were still on the screen from two seconds earlier and ask questions repeatedly. It annoys people sometimes.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

My mind wanders a lot, especially when what I'm doing doesn't take much concentration. (Like walking an overencumbered child to the nearest shop to offload all her stuff, as per my very first example.) I pay a criminally low amount of attention to a lot of the things I do. So I end up suddenly snapping out of my train of thought a lot with NO idea what I'm doing, and forgetting to do things I'm supposed to do if I wasn't thinking about them when I went on auto-pilot. (Like forgetting to add a question or scenario or whatever in Q&A or what would you do if.)

Actually, I just had another such moment. This time, I didn't realise until she was already in another town and I was looking at the inventory that while I was absent-mindedly thinking about where I could find malachite my Skyrim character just sold her panties to Khajiit traders alongside all the other things she was offloading. I would've thought after catching that mistake last time I wouldn't make it again, but no. Well, at least she didn't pawn off anything useful. I wouldn't put it past myself to not notice selling her armour or something.

I've done auto-pilot driving several times... I've gotten used to it. I get in the car, turn up the tunes, and notice just how beautiful the clouds look, then look back into the car, and I'm at my destination. I did it with a friend in the car once, and he didn't notice that I was on auto-pilot. (and he was paying attention)

I just got up, put the coffee grounds in with no filter and started the pot with no fucking water in it. Excuse my while I slap myself a couple times, then go back and do that right.

It's okay. Milk is still good for a couple days, sometimes as much as a week, after the expiration date, because the expiration date isn't actually an expiration date, it's a "sell-by" date.

In my area milk's "sell-by" date is 2 days before it goes bad, unless you keep it at a degree or two above freezing... Then it takes a week after the date to go bad.

I got angry at something and punched myself in the face. Then I forgot why I was angry.

Don't do that, it usually hurts. (though I have had instances where it didn't hurt at all)

It never hurts when I do it. But then, with me, that's not a surprise.

Went to bed around 7 in the morning and woke up around 2:30 pm. What am I doing?

You mean that's not usual for most people?

I have an iced tea maker. Essentially, it's like a coffee maker but for iced tea. You pour water into it, it heats up the water and shoots it onto the tea in a basket, then the basket fills with the hot water allowing the tea to steep as it slowly dribbles out a small hole into the pitcher of waiting ice. In a three step process, you get a pitcher full of iced tea.

Several times, I've skipped an essential step: Adding tea bags. I end up with a pitcher full of ice water.

I am so smart. I am so smart. S-M-R-T. I mean, S-M-A-R-T.