How long would Freeman make it?

Sign in to follow this  

If Freeman just left, like in video 61.5, how long do you guys think he would be able to survive for, assuming that Xen aliens are going to be teleporting all over Earth, and also assuming he's currently in Harold Park State Forrest?

As a bonus, try to ponder how long he would last after the Seven Hour War, if he survived it.

He still has the suit, and the weapons... He'll last for years.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Without going to Xen, Nihilanth will continue to live, thereby keeping the portal open. This means that there would be no portal storms and the Combine would never come. That might be good or bad. The Earth would be overrun with Xenians. Gordon Freeman aside, it seems humankind has a big problem fighting off the Xenian onslaught. Whereas the Combine just killed most of the people and enslaved/persecuted the rest, the Xenians would kill everyone.

I just imagine Gordon holed up in a mountaintop cabin, the last man on Earth. And with no Doritos.

I can just see Gordon being surrounded by a megahorde of Xenians, him roaring as he mows down Xenians, but becomes overwhelmed and is finally killed.

Lamarr stands on his corpse, sucking on a watermelon.

Earth would be screwed. I don't think the Nihilanth could win this war, but his teleportation abilities and apparently overwhelming numbers will mean very bad things for both sides. This isn't even taking into account the horrible damage to the ecosystem that'll occur due to the Xenian wildlife teleporting over here, or the ramifications of everyone knowing about what the US government did at Black Mesa.

But that's the least of Freeman's worries. No, what he has to worry about is how the fuck he expects to just escape without being apprehended by the authorities. He's a shifty-looking bearded man covered in blood and carrying several guns: two pistols, ten grenades, a submachine gun, a grenade launcher, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, satchel charges, a crowbar, and even a portable particle accelerator that can kill tanks. He is also carrying absurd amounts of ammo for all of the above, including DEPLETED URANIUM for the Gluon Gun. His presence is going to cause an uproar at the first town he goes to, and he'll be forced to either fight or run from the police. Suffice to say, he won't last very long at all.

The only way this could work out is if he really is in Europe, and has some form of proof to present to whatever authorities are there about the Black Mesa incident (alien blood? The Gluon Gun? Him just arriving there out of the blue?). They'd be extremely interested then, and probably give him asylum (the Black Mesa incident was supposed to be secret, I doubt the US government could get him before he goes public with the story). If that fails, he's screwed. If that plan works, then he's living on borrowed time. The US government is still going to be out for his blood, and can probably put a bad spin on him. More importantly, there's that whole "planetary war" thing. He may very well die during it.

Earth would be screwed. I don't think the Nihilanth could win this war, but his teleportation abilities and apparently overwhelming numbers will mean very bad things for both sides. This isn't even taking into account the horrible damage to the ecosystem that'll occur due to the Xenian wildlife teleporting over here, or the ramifications of everyone knowing about what the US government did at Black Mesa.

But that's the least of Freeman's worries. No, what he has to worry about is how the fuck he expects to just escape without being apprehended by the authorities. He's a shifty-looking bearded man covered in blood and carrying several guns: two pistols, ten grenades, a submachine gun, a grenade launcher, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, satchel charges, a crowbar, and even a portable particle accelerator that can kill tanks. He is also carrying absurd amounts of ammo for all of the above, including DEPLETED URANIUM for the Gluon Gun. His presence is going to cause an uproar at the first town he goes to, and he'll be forced to either fight or run from the police. Suffice to say, he won't last very long at all.

The only way this could work out is if he really is in Europe, and has some form of proof to present to whatever authorities are there about the Black Mesa incident (alien blood? The Gluon Gun? Him just arriving there out of the blue?). They'd be extremely interested then, and probably give him asylum (the Black Mesa incident was supposed to be secret, I doubt the US government could get him before he goes public with the story). If that fails, he's screwed. If that plan works, then he's living on borrowed time. The US government is still going to be out for his blood, and can probably put a bad spin on him. More importantly, there's that whole "planetary war" thing. He may very well die during it.

He has a shitton of weapons. He should be able to survive against the authorities.

The problem is that Freeman has never really taken into account whether or not aliens are teleporting to other places. He's gonna be in for a surprise.

He who fights drummers

If you let the soldiers and the xenians fight it out without intervening, the soldiers usually win. I think the combined military could take out the aliens. Not to mention you're slaughtering the soldiers wholesale- if you weren't doing that, they could probably do even better.

If Freeman just left, like in video 61.5, how long do you guys think he would be able to survive for, assuming that Xen aliens are going to be teleporting all over Earth, and also assuming he's currently in Harold Park State Forrest?

As a bonus, try to ponder how long he would last after the Seven Hour War, if he survived it.

The seven hour war would have never happened.

He has a shitton of weapons. He should be able to survive against the authorities.

The problem is that Freeman has never really taken into account whether or not aliens are teleporting to other places. He's gonna be in for a surprise.

It doesn't matter. Trying to fight the authorities at all would just result in him being eventually bogged down, surrounded, and killed. The local police should be able to handle him if he's heading towards any decently sized city.

If you let the soldiers and the xenians fight it out without intervening, the soldiers usually win. I think the combined military could take out the aliens. Not to mention you're slaughtering the soldiers wholesale- if you weren't doing that, they could probably do even better.

The soldiers did okay, but they had to pull out because they were losing. You also seriously underestimate how potent teleportation really is when the military relies on a very specific and relatively fragile infrastructure.

The Earth would be overrun with Xenians. Gordon Freeman aside, it seems humankind has a big problem fighting off the Xenian onslaught.

There isn't an unlimitted number of Xenians; for the sake of the discussion, let's assume that there's 4 billion of all species, not counting Controllers (let's say 20-100 million), Tentacles (10 million?), and any alien produced in factories (Alien Grunts, Mantas, and Gargantuas specifically). So, with these figures, North America will likely be overrun, and a good chunk of Latin and/or South America with it (although maybe not, if nuclear weapons are used more and more). Everywhere else should be "fine".

EDIT: Disregard the above.

Speaking of which, what do you think will come of knowledge of the Black Mesa incident? The rest of that statement, I have a good idea of what will happen.

It isn't like he has to fight anyone, as long as he doesn't do something stupid. He could get detained (if he goes peacefully) and later escape in the chaos of the Xenian invasion. (of course, he'd have to be lucky not to get killed in the ensuing chaos, or get "silenced" by the CIA before that).

If he decides to fight, then (assuming he manages to get food and/or bed rest) it largely depends on how quickly he's noticed, how many law enforcement officers are going to be after him, and the intensity and scale of the Xenian campaign.

Personally, I give him a week or two assuming he is fed and well rested, best case.

If that plan works, then he's living on borrowed time. The US government is still going to be out for his blood, and can probably put a bad spin on him.

He could get protection from whichever government in Europe he went to, or otherwise "disappear".

Assuming of course, that he is in Europe.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I just realized that Freeman dropped into water after getting teleported. Whatever blood he had on him should've been washed off. That's one less thing to worry about.

He who fights drummers

The Earth would be overrun with Xenians. Gordon Freeman aside, it seems humankind has a big problem fighting off the Xenian onslaught.

There isn't an unlimitted number of Xenians; for the sake of the discussion, let's assume that there's 4 billion of all species, not counting Controllers (let's say 20-100 million), Tentacles (10 million?), and any alien produced in factories (Alien Grunts, Mantas, and Gargantuas specifically). So, with these figures, North America will likely be overrun, and a good chunk of Latin and/or South America with it (although maybe not, if nuclear weapons are used more and more). Everywhere else should be "fine".

No, there isn't an unlimited number of Xenians but there's no reason to assume those numbers. Xen itself could be the size of a galaxy for all we know. The scientists call it the "border world" but they could be wrong. There could be any number of species, and not specifically from the native homeworld where vorts and company come from. "Xen" could be a region of interdimensional space where refugees from the Combine hide out. Who knows what could come through the portal onto our planet, given enough time.

No, there isn't an unlimited number of Xenians but there's no reason to assume those numbers. Xen itself could be the size of a galaxy for all we know. The scientists call it the "border world" but they could be wrong. There could be any number of species, and not specifically from the native homeworld where vorts and company come from. "Xen" could be a region of interdimensional space where refugees from the Combine hide out. Who knows what could come through the portal onto our planet, given enough time.

Well, now there's hordes of factors to consider for Xen. Dammit Dan! :D

Alright, disregard my figures.

Xen wins because they have gargantuas literally SPITTING OUT OF FACTORIES.

GARGANTUAS.

GIANT MONSTERS WITH FLAMETHROWERS FOR HANDS.

HUMANS: 0.

XEN MONSTER ALIEN GUYS: 1,000,000.

In all seriousness though, I think that Gordon would (assuming the above opinions are based on fact) Gordon would likely just have his weapons confiscated, and (let's just assume that he's coming clean) has the blood of dozens (if not hundreds) of US soldiers on his hands. In other words, Gordon gets busted for life, and if all of the world's armies stuck together to fight da aliens (HA, yeah right, especially not with all this ISIS crap going on), they'd have a pretty good chance of winning, so freeman is stuck for life. Game over.

Xen wins because they have gargantuas literally SPITTING OUT OF FACTORIES.

The US by itself has more than enough Abrams tanks, Apache helicopters, and (most importantly) air power to go around. You can have thousands of Gargs, but it means jack shit if they don't have any Mantas protecting them.

In other words, Gordon gets busted for life, and if all of the world's armies stuck together to fight da aliens (HA, yeah right, especially not with all this ISIS crap going on), they'd have a pretty good chance of winning, so freeman is stuck for life. Game over.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

And for the record, Half Life takes place anywhere from 2000-2009.

Oh, sorry, thought it took place modern time. Time to go slap myself.

Here, let me do that for you!

Sorry, but nobody mentioned the G-Man and his secretive employers? They have probably had a backup plan, just in case one of their operatives would go rogue or manage to knock himself out of consideration?

Regards

Sorry, but nobody mentioned the G-Man and his secretive employers? They have probably had a backup plan, just in case one of their operatives would go rogue or manage to knock himself out of consideration?

Regards

We'll assume they're a non-issue. They didn't give me a helping hand when I fell down a pit or got crushed by a Garg. :P

We'll assume they're a non-issue. They didn't give me a helping hand when I fell down a pit or got crushed by a Garg. :P

Or killed the scientists that you absolutely need to keep alive to progress...