1. 1. Is the US becoming dumber?

• Yes, but the education system needs a complete overhaul
    • Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • No, but the education system needs a complete overhaul
    • No, everything's fine and you're an idiot

Sign in to follow this  

Alright. Been a while since my last post, but I can tell I was pretty stupid while I was here. Glad people had civil discussions on them, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErL9zPHdH4A

Watch the entire thing, it's really interesting.

It seems to be that there's quite a bit of corruption in the education system currently, mostly to have to do with the tasks involved in properly educating a child. By this, I mean the requirements for graduation, assignments and graduation vs dropping out ratio. Not only that, but it seems like everywhere I go, I see people doing, saying, and thinking stupid thoughts that show not even a hint of dignity within.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the issue.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I remember this little bit about the No Child Left Behind Grant that said by 2020 no child will be ever left behind because of the system being soo effed up that all the kids born past the year 2010 or so that start to go to school in the US by this year will have such a fucked up education that they wont make it to college honestly

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

This came about from poor school ratings when compared to schools from other countries... And government officials that never graduated 2nd grade legitimately.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I see 5 yeses, and 1 maybe... Fairly conclusively not a 'no' situation.

What a sad state to have to live in, man. It'd be nice if we had some major reforms, but no. The government continuously circlejerks all of our issues until we inevitably collapse as a nation.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and or just am overthinking things..

I'm not an American, but seeing as I spend a lot of my waking time educating people in ages ranging from eight to forty, I can't help but feel somewhat drawn to a thread like this.

Right out of the gates I have to comment about the perspective on achievement-based education. My own approach to my job could very well be described with those exact words. I'm not all that interested in how long it takes my students to learn. Within reason, of course. My only interest is that they learn and retain their knowledge. To me, the great nemesis for a long time has been my own nation's widespread belief that it's more important that everyone finish a particular segment at a particular age, rather than whether people can actually read, write and do math. But it's fascinating how words can turn around and bite you. When I hear the words "achievement based learning" I think of putting all focus on whether my students have learned and actually understood something about algebra and mechanics. What she's talking about sounds like a gods damn horror show.

Honestly, from about the eleven minute mark this starts sounding like straight up conspiracy ideas for a movie script. I'm sorry, I'm gonna need some more corroborating evidence that this is even true before I'll believe it. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that this is so far out there that we're into extraordinary claim, extraordinary evidence territory.

I find it highly confusing that the occurrence of multiple levels among students in the same group should be such a problem. That's a normal day for me. The nature of the groups I work with is that the level can vary quite dramatically from one person to the next. My way of dealing with that is to know the subjects I teach and know them really fucking well. When someone surges ahead, it's my responsibility to make sure there are new challenges for them to take on. When someone falls behind, it's my responsibility to identify the gaps in their knowledge base and assist them in catching up. Sure, it takes some snap decisions and thinking on your feet to make it work, but it's really not such a difficult concept. Just make sure you stand firmly with both feet in your professional knowledge, take an interest in your students' successes and setbacks and go from there. I don't know, this whole video just left me really confused.

The average citizen today is FAR more informed than one from 100, even 50, years ago. Literacy rates are much higher.

American Professional Skateboarder

And yet, those illiterate ones from the 30's and 40's were able to turn cars into monsters, or keep cars running when they really shouldn't have been able to... Now, there are plenty of literate people who couldn't change a timing belt if you provided a book, and hands-on instruction.

The difference is that teaching focus is on the memorization of mundane facts that nobody uses in the real world, or methods and practices that are pointless or useless outside of a classroom. (and heavily focussed against doing any math in your head)

I think you are overgeneralizing. Have you seen the way our fathers and mothser,s and their friends, type? The average millennial read much more than their gen X or baby boomer counterpart. I know many people who are my age and able to do way more with cars than people 80 years ago. Have you seen sites like fiverr or instructables? DIY is very big among millennials because of how poor must of us are. Sure there are many dumb people, but the media focuses on them more than the average joe.

You're equating reading and writing, or tutorialized DIY, to intelligence.

1. Reading and writing have never been linked to the intelligence of an individual.

2. Doing things yourself with a tutorial that tells you step-by-step what to do, and how, is nothing more than following directions for assembly. No relation to intelligence.

3. I was giving an example regarding completely custom cars, (that means everything but the engine block, and sometimes the frame, are totally unique custom parts) but what you are thinking of is probly in relation to internal stereo systems/lighting/attaching premade body panels/paintjobs/etc. There is not one of those that doesn't have a detailed tutorial for it.

I know plenty of guys irl who have made custom vehicles. The internet has just made people more vocal. It has given a voice to the previously voiceless. Lookup what the current longest work of fiction is. (written by a millenial)

How 'custom'? Was it from the ground up, or did they take parts that were made for each other, and assemble them according to the instructions included?

Length of a work has absolutely no bearing on its quality.

Length of a work has absolutely no bearing on its quality.

Agreeeed.

Just cause the Twilight saga is long, doesn't make it good. :P

Don't forget though, Riley - we are mainly talking about America. I've talked to some American Friends about their education and what they do... It's kinda terrible. XP In grade 12, my friends struggle to write essays and don't even do a lot of them. Here in Australia, I've completed like... 10 essays in just a few terms. Easy.

However, essays aren't exactly things to judge a person's intelligence on either. How do you judge intelligence? Who the fuck knows. X3

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

However, essays aren't exactly things to judge a person's intelligence on either.

I wish our schools would realize this. Those fucking things are worth 50-75% of your grade these days.

However, essays aren't exactly things to judge a person's intelligence on either.

I wish our schools would realize this. Those fucking things are worth 50-75% of your grade these days.

And I can't get past the first paragraph because composition is not in my mental repertoire. (despite my recently confirmed IQ score of 164)

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.