Evolution vs. Creation being taught in schools

Sign in to follow this  

There are those that say, it doesn't matter how it started, we probably will never find out, until we die, it matters what is happening now, nobody should purely live to find out the past by wasting the present and the future.

It is only logical then to do as much research as possible to figure out what would happen to oneself after they die.

Either there is nothing and therefore nothing to worry or think about, or there are diametric eternities. Personally if the razor's edge is between void and eternity after we die, I would want to be absolutely certain it was one or the other, as opposed to leaving it to some sort of mullthory assumption. Entirely removed from prejudice, guessing or ambivalence.

If after we die there is nothing, then there are a great deal of things I should set about doing, since in the end of it all there is no consequence to me personally.

If after we die there is eternity, then there is an incredible amount of importance to what is said and done by each moment.

Either way, both decisions have an incredible amount of social and moral weight to them- so much so that being on one side or the other is too important to the individual to be said that it could be thought about objectively. Eternity is longer than any career will promise, and longer still how long an army will endure or a civilization will stand. The importance of such a decisio has a 50% chance of being more important than anything we know of to that individual, so to say that an individual can look at such a decision objectively would be a conflict of interest of laughable proportions.

Yes, but the advantage of the alternative theories to Christianity is they explain the present, we are sure there is present, we are not sure there is a future. (After death)

You could invest in the future, but investment in a present is a sure thing while the future is a wild card (Unless you have proof of it).

It's a fifty-fifty percent, tilting towards there probably is something after death, since we don't know what "nothing" is but still it could be anything.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

It's a fifty-fifty percent, tilting towards there probably is something after death, since we don't know what "nothing" is but still it could be anything.

There is not a 50/50 chance.

I wasn't talking about christianity, but generally if there is anything after death.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Well, I guess that is up to personal opinion.

Right before death most of us will think 'Wtf comes next?' though and then

you will be happy that it might be a 50/50 chance. :)

I wasn't talking about christianity, but generally if there is anything after death.

I know, there is not a 50/50 chance though. There is a 100% chance that one of them will happen.

There is a 100% chance that one of them will happen.

Which is formulated as a 50/50 chance....

To reiterate and ameliorate confusion, the 50/50 is a rewording of the idea that either Christianity is true or is not true. There is no middle ground; belief in Christianity is a dichotomy. The 50/50 does not say anything of the credibility or incredibility of the religion in of itself (which I personally hold has a much higher chance of being true than not true).

I will also reiterate the fact that one should research heavily on the subject of the credibility of both arguments.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Personally I don't think the origin of the universe needs be taught in school since there appears to be such controversy over it, and saying that it should be taught in school is just a proxy war for Creationism vs. the Big Bang Theory.

The problem with that is that all the evidence that we currently have points to the Big Bang theory. There is absolutely NO evidence that would lead us anywhere near creationism or intelligent design.

Now, unless evidence were provided (of which none has ever been provided by anyone anywhere at any time) for creationism or intelligent design, it should not be taught in regular school as fact.

Out of curiosity, if someone would post evidence for intelligent design or some

against the big bang and/or evolution, would you believe it anyway?

Or wouldn't it be more likely that you might try to find errors in it no matter what

because, like all of us, you would not want your own opinions, ideas or believes to

wrong nor the opinions, ideas or believes of the 'other side' to be right?

I would have to say, nay, I'd have to shout:

YES!

You'd do that, but you'd be lying.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well, if that is an honest answer then congratulations, you are a better person

then me and ain't a hypocrite like the rest of us (give or take a few). :)

I would have to say, nay, I'd have to shout:

YES!

Fascinating, what you are saying is that you are entirely removed from prejudice or any sort of pre-inclination to one side or another.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

(which I personally hold has a much higher chance of being true than not true).

I will also reiterate the fact that one should research heavily on the subject of the credibility of both arguments.

Of course, personally, we all tilt towards either there is something after death or there isn't due to our own research and we should. One should be philosophical about this subject.

Now if there will be someone with evidence for one of these (Which already happened a lot of times with false evidence), I would have to confirm it first, calculate my own percentages and then I would accept or decline it.

If there will be true evidence, I will finally be at peace but not necessarily happy.

That is how philosophers do it as they are not inclined to any side.

Evolution is a theory widely accepted by the scientific community and a fair amount of the population.

Creation is a theory accepted by a small amount of the scientific community and a significant amount of the population.

They are both theories, not facts, because there is not enough proof of either one being the real answer.

Evolution is more popular because a large amount of evidence supports it, so it seems more likely.

Creation however, has little or no evidence supporting it. so it makes intelligent design look less credible.

Once again, Evolution and Creation are both theories, not facts. So we cannot say one or the other is true or false.

I will not respond to any distasteful, slanderous or unintellectual arguments without good reason, or strong evidence to support your claims.

Thank you for reading this message.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Evolution is a theory widely accepted by the scientific community and a fair amount of the population.

Creation is a theory accepted by a small amount of the scientific community and a significant amount of the population.

They are both theories, not facts, because there is not enough proof of either one being the real answer.

Evolution is more popular because a large amount of evidence supports it, so it seems more likely.

Creation however, has little or no evidence supporting it. so it makes intelligent design look less credible.

Once again, Evolution and Creation are both theories, not facts. So we cannot say one or the other is true or false.

I will not respond to any distasteful, slanderous or unintellectual arguments without good reason, or strong evidence to support your claims.

We're over that debate, evolution won (in the debate whether it should be tought at schools, not whether it's true.)

We're over that debate, evolution won (in the debate whether it should be tought at schools, not whether it's true.)

From the looks of things, it looked like we were still debating that.

Then what are we debating now?

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

From the looks of things, it looked like we were still debating that.

Then what are we debating now?

Well I guess blue proposed to not teach anything in school.

I think we went a bit off topic and now debate the Big Bang, whether it should be tought at school or not. But yeah, most of us agreed on evolution, (Not the big bang)

Well instead of teaching any of those two, I think it would be better to teach

them to be open for possibilities and to ask questions and/or be critical and/or to

learn about both sides of a 'story' (there are always at least two) and not to

accept anything blindly nor to defend anything ignorantly as it is so often done in

nearly all areas of science, religions and idelogies.

I think that would greatly increase the overall education, but alas... some would

not like the people to think instead of swallowing it all whole, wouldn't they? :|

Well instead of teaching any of those two, I think it would be better to teach

them to be open for possibilities and to ask questions and/or be critical and/or to

learn about both sides of a 'story' (there are always at least two) and not to

accept anything blindly nor to defend anything ignorantly as it is so often done in

nearly all areas of science, religions and idelogies.

I think that would greatly increase the overall education, but alas... some would

not like the people to think instead of swallowing it all whole, wouldn't they? :|

This is exactly why I propose the subject of philosophy (Inspiring people to decide for themselves instead of being inclined) to be tought mandatory and since grade 6.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 63 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.