Disappointing games

Sign in to follow this  

This thread is about games that you were really hyped for, other people hyped it up to be good and when you finally play it everything comes crashing down into a wave of personal disappointment.

For me the biggest one would be Dragon's Dogma. I saved up for months when I heard about the PC port because my friends were hyping up the original console version, almost everyone I knew was talking about it like it was one of the greatest games but when I finally played it I had nothing but hatred for that game, from the annoying quest design to the garbage writing nothing about it seemed good.

Can we talk about games we missed but played later? I've so far played Red Faction 1, 2, & Guerilla and I was very disappointed by all of them.

The Payday games. Everywhere I hear about how great they are, and when I finally played them they just consisted of shooting law enforcement for half an hour with unsatisfying weapons and then getting DLC reminders shoved in your face until it bleeds.

I'm well aware that I'm smacking the proverbial dead horse here, but Broken Sword 3 and 4 were enormous letdowns for me. If it wasn't for my undying love of the franchise and it's reliably strong narrative and cast of characters, I don't think I could of tolerated both games wonky pseudo-PS1 era Tomb Raider controls and spazzy facial animation/lip-syncing.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Civilization: Beyond Earth.

It's a fucking Civ5 mod in alpha stage.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

It's not a BAD game as far as games go and it's fun to play, but it's also not a finished game and the mission design after the first "chapter" becomes insultingly lazy and uninspired. Clearly thrown together with the incompleted scraps left from when Kojima left the company. Biggest sign is requiring players to replay past story missions with difficulty modifiers before they can move on. If I wanted to do that I would just go back and use the replay mission feature that's already there and try for those challenges myself. <_<

Very disappointed with it considering what preceded it.

Retired Forum Moderator

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word cannot describe my disappointment for Skyrim. I was a rabid elder scrolls fan at the time who hunted down every morsel of information he could find about Skyrim. The hype-train was going so fast that I only saw the things I wanted to see from Skyrim and more, much more. More than any reasonably sane person would. So when the hype train inevitably crashed via head-on collision I didn't know what to think. Not only was I disappointed I was genuinely upset. I constantly reminded myself of everything that was wrong with the game, anyone who didn't like Morrowind and thought Skyrim was good was my enemy. I was practically out for blood. Thankfully, I'm not that person anymore and can see Skyrim for what it was. It's still isn't what I wanted, but atleast I'm not ripping someone throat out for liking it.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Word cannot describe my disappointment for Skyrim. I was a rabid elder scrolls fan at the time who hunted down every morsel of information he could find about Skyrim. The hype-train was going so fast that I only saw the things I wanted to see from Skyrim and more, much more. More than any reasonably sane person would. So when the hype train inevitably crashed via head-on collision I didn't know what to think. Not only was I disappointed I was genuinely upset. I constantly reminded myself of everything that was wrong with the game, anyone who didn't like Morrowind and thought Skyrim was good was my enemy. I was practically out for blood. Thankfully, I'm not that person anymore and can see Skyrim for what it was. It's still isn't what I wanted, but atleast I'm not ripping someone throat out for liking it.

Haha, I was the opposite type of Morrowind fan. I thought for what it was trying to do Skyrim did a good job, I felt it tried to return to a more realistic feeling unlike Oblivion's overly bright and kinda generic fantasy feeling.

Haha, I was the opposite type of Morrowind fan. I thought for what it was trying to do Skyrim did a good job, I felt it tried to return to a more realistic feeling unlike Oblivion's overly bright and kinda generic fantasy feeling.

I actually got a lot out of Oblivion. While it's setting was rather mundane I felt the atmosphere as a whole was very mellow, hypnotic and refreshing from Morrowind's majestic, harsh and tribal atmosphere. It's kinda hard to describe but for me the overall tone of Oblivion melded well together whereas Skyrim didn't. Combined with all the other problems Skyrim had it also felt disjointed to me compared to Morrowind and Oblivion. There was no atmosphere outside of "ra, ra, battle" and vikings in Skyrim.

Isn't Elder Scrolls kind of classic fantasy, though? I've yet to install and play Morrowind but from what I've heard and seen, it seems very grim-dark and it's kind of out-of-place in my opinion. Daggerfall was pretty classic fantasy, other than walking around at night and inside of dungeons which was pretty creepy, but eh.

Isn't Elder Scrolls kind of classic fantasy, though? I've yet to install and play Morrowind but from what I've heard and seen, it seems very grim-dark and it's kind of out-of-place in my opinion. Daggerfall was pretty classic fantasy, other than walking around at night and inside of dungeons which was pretty creepy, but eh.

Yes, except for Morrowind and that is why it is my favorite game of all time. Morrowind and Planescape Torment have set the bar for what I expect out of a video game setting and there hasn't been video game setting that has surpassed them since their release or come anywhere near them for that matter. IMO most RPGs tend to be rather bland and uninspired in terms of their settings to a point where I kinda disgusted by them. The closest I've seen in terms of setting is the Witcher series. Both Arena and Daggerfall blur together in my head due to their generic fantasy settings and this isn't due to technical limitations either as I still feel that Oblivion and Skyrim are a step backwards in comparison to Morrowind.

If you are looking to play Morrowind then I highly recommend it.

CIV beyond earth - as already mentioned, its just a CIV5 mod that resembles Sid's Alpha Centauri which was way more interesting regarding the storyline, voice acting etc.

Ubisoft in general - whachdogs were a disaster - totally overhyped to be better than GTA 5, but in reality I found GTA 3 more interesting (the story was meh in watchdogs) with more stuff to do (GTA series have been known to take hundreds of hours to actually do it 100 with all the jumps, secret packages, side missions etc. etc.). Also I have played Farcry 3 - it was so overhyped to be "Skyrim with guns" but in reality it lacked content really bad. Skyrim had 1000x more content if you ask me. And from what I have heard other games have similar problems - division was overhyped and now has shitloads of problems with bugs, exploits, cheaters and balance issues.

Fallout 4 a bit - the story was Okish, but first i didn't like the art style (ok, its maybe just a preference), but I'm dissapointed with the skill system (imho its dumbed down) and also at the moment the season pass seems to be a waste of money. I bought the season pass with Fallout 3 and NV in mind which had great DLCs with tons of content.

I for one do not agree with Skyrim - imho it lived up to the hype, I enjoyed it a lot, it had really good reviews from both users and reviewers. It has tons of content and its engaging.

I rather liked Watch_Dogs personally. I found the story very touching and the gameplay engaging as fuck. Definitely will be playing it a lot.

I think it was just hyped way too much for its own good. It's nothing like GTA just like Far Cry is nothing like Skyrim. They tend to build the expectations way too high before releasing their games. But for what it is, I loved both Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 and Watch_Dogs. They're not bad games, just insanely overhyped.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I rather liked Watch_Dogs personally. I found the story very touching and the gameplay engaging as fuck. Definitely will be playing it a lot.

I think it was just hyped way too much for its own good. It's nothing like GTA just like Far Cry is nothing like Skyrim. They tend to build the expectations way too high before releasing their games. But for what it is, I loved both Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 and Watch_Dogs. They're not bad games, just insanely overhyped.

I agree, watchdogs in its essence wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't great imho either. It was like 6-7/10. If you can get it at discount, sure its good pick (I wouldn't buy it now after playing it for the full launch price). Ubisoft tries to overhype their games and after that no doubt you will be disappointed. But the problem is - they try to be like others, but they can't really get there. Those comparisons - GTA and watchdogs, skyrim/fallout series and farcry aren't far fetched - they are surely going in that direction, and those titles are one of the leading ones.

I for one do not agree with Skyrim - imho it lived up to the hype, I enjoyed it a lot, it had really good reviews from both users and reviewers. It has tons of content and its engaging.

How familiar are you with the Elder Scrolls series? If you're just starting from Skyrim then yes it can be a bit hard to understand where the disdain for it comes from. In terms of content it took me approximately 2 weeks of nonstop playing to beat Skyrim with no DLC in it's entirety whereas Oblivion took about 2 months and I still haven't found every quest in Morrowind. IMO vanilla Skyrim really needs mods and/or DLC to stand on it's own and it shows. By the time mods had begun to crop up I had completely lost interest. To a certain extent this is my own fault as I purchased the game on launch at full price.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Sure, you can beat the main campaign easily in that amount of time, but there are a LOT of things you'll be bypassing when you do so. Skyrim has more content than Oblivion, even without DLCs.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Sure, you can beat the main campaign easily in that amount of time, but there are a LOT of things you'll be bypassing when you do so. Skyrim has more content than Oblivion, even without DLCs.

Nope, I did the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Companions, College of Whispers, all the Daedric quests and all the city quests. I literally beat Skyrim in it's entirety in two weeks. I even checked the wiki to make sure.

Still, it sounds like you were skipping things.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Still, it sounds like you were skipping things.

Like, what? I've literally done all the quests there is in vanilla Skyrim. I've check the UESPWiki's page for Skyrim's quests and I've done every, single, damn one of them. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Quests . There is no more. If you don't believe me Go ahead and ask me which quests you think I haven't done and I will answer them.