Mechanics in games that should just die.

I wish open world games would do away with your characters carry-weight mechanics. I know it's supposed to make the game slightly more realistic and introduce an actual degree of challenge, but in all honesty I want to collect every piece of useless tat I come across. I want to pick shit up and not ever have to worry about it ever again.

disclaimer: I might not be in an entirely serious or even reasonable mood tonight...

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

OT: Regenerating health and two weapon limit. IMO both of these seem like a step backwards.

Regenerating health i disagree- it can be done right, but 2 weapon limit? yes, please kick that out of the frikin window. im so sick of that. Thats why i love GTA V- it went opposite way, as now you can literally have EVERY DAMN WEAPON in the game in inventory & conviniently (sure, it was similar to older GTA-s too, but there were tiers..)

but yeah, it did give game so much more when you could randomly whip out a rocket launcher vs weakest opponent in game just for lols.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I agree about the 2 weapon limit... I think it would be much better to have a weapon harness and inventory space based carry limit.

You can quick ready any weapon from your harness, or slow ready from inventory.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think it would be much better to have a weapon harness and inventory space based carry limit.

5561a127690eddd3682d37f88f4afb58.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I never said carry weight, I said weapon limit.

Honestly, carry weight has never been well implemented... Something I'm looking to be able to correct with my tabletop RPG.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Honestly, carry weight has never been well implemented...

I feel E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy did carry weight fairly well. Each item (ammo, weapons, deployables) and armor (light, medium, heavy) has a fixed weight which negatively effects your speed malus up to 95% in which your movement speed comes to an effective crawl. Of course there are things that positively effects speed malus like Strength and various implants.

Fall Damage:

Who thought this was a good idea? It adds literally nothing to the game outside the headache from having to reload a save after your character gets killed from fall damage. Also why would I care for realism in Quake 1 of all things?

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I never said carry weight, I said weapon limit.

I agree about the 2 weapon limit... I think it would be much better to have a weapon harness and inventory space based carry limit.

Fall Damage:

Who thought this was a good idea? It adds literally nothing to the game outside the headache from having to reload a save after your character gets killed from fall damage. Also why would I care for realism in Quake 1 of all things?

I don't mind it personally. Gives me an incentive to be more careful, and also plan more. I'd be probably told '"think more? That's for tacticals!", but I believe in a fact that every game should keep your brain active. Otherwise it's just a TV show you interact with (looking at you, Heavy Rain). Besides: if you take away fall damage from every game that implements it, the majority would be way too easy. (NOTE: I know you never said anything about removing fall damage from every game, I'm simply providing my reasoning, and saving you a couple of strokes on the keyboard)

However, I can tell you where it feels out of place: Borderlands 1 and Quake III Arena (and Quake Live for that extent). For the first one: why Gearbox implemented fall damage in the first game, while the rest don't even have it? For Quake III Arena: it's a galactic arena, you shouldn't get fall damage there, of all places! The Arena Masters should've known that dying from falling is boring!

And regarding Quake 1's realism: when blasting Lovecraftian creatures in the face with a shotgun was ever realistic?

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

Man I forgot Borderlands 1 had fall damage. Yeah, there are some games that have fall damage, and it makes sense to do so, and others that don't, and it makes sense. And then there's the opposite.

no offense but how braindead do you have to be to need an OPTION to not use fast travel

the option is literally there, if you want to enjoy the open world you can walk

no-offense.jpg

OT: Regenerating health and two weapon limit. IMO both of these seem like a step backwards.

I like how you claim i have a hard-on for you when you're the only one still trying to piss me off and using "OT" to avoid getting in any trouble.

no offense but how braindead do you have to be to need an OPTION to not use fast travel

the option is literally there, if you want to enjoy the open world you can walk

No offense but how ignorant do you have to be to slack off someone's opinion as braindead? It's in my face and I would like an option to turn it off, simple as that. Next thing you know there might not even be an options menu in future titles. God forbid developers leave their comfortably lazy hug boxes created by fans that will die defending them so developers little feelings don't get hurt. You know what if developers can't handle dealing with criticism then they should leave the games industry and go hang themselves for all the unnecessary bullshit they bring along with them. Fuck that mentality and fuck those people, they deserve nothing. I shouldn't have to go this far to get my goddamn point across and defend it for merely existing, Jesus fucking Christ.

Even though options menus are generally more complex now than they need to be and "disable fast travel" is really just extra clutter? It's nowhere close to being in-your-face, just learn some fucking self control. If anything, the only "hugbox" here is the whiny minorities of the audience complaining about shit that doesn't even matter. And if you genuinely think that developers that don't cater to your tiny complaints need to hang themselves, you need to evaluate your life to find out when and why you became such an enormous cunt.

the name's riley

okay, how about everyone calm down now?

I mean we can be civil, right? even if it is the internet. We arent savages, we can debate civil & we know when to walk away. And we definetly know better than to go to name calling to solidify our argument, right? right.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Even though options menus are generally more complex now than they need to be and "disable fast travel" is really just extra clutter? It's nowhere close to being in-your-face, just learn some fucking self control. If anything, the only "hugbox" here is the whiny minorities of the audience complaining about shit that doesn't even matter. And if you genuinely think that developers that don't cater to your tiny complaints need to hang themselves, you need to evaluate your life to find out when and why you became such an enormous cunt.

That post wasn't meant to be taken literally. I was just a bit frustrated because it felt like my opinion being attacked for merely being stated. Is asking for a niche option setting really that bad? It's just my opinion and I don't think I was being unreasonable with it. Sure I was gripey but I didn't hold it over peoples' heads saying "my opinion is the only right one.". As I said before opinions don't hurt you. People can have specific opinions and they have the right to express them. In that same vein they should also be respectful to others' opinions because they're just as valid.

You just got me an idea for a comic.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but were you referring to my post about weight mechanics here?

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

You just got me an idea for a comic.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but were you referring to my post about weight mechanics here?

Yep, and seeing as other(s) have beaten me to the punch, I decided not to make the comic.

Yep, and seeing as other(s) have beaten me to the punch, I decided not to make the comic.

I eventually figured out it wasn't your comic ;p I thought it was peculiar that you made this comment but the comic was apparentl made in 2011.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

There is really no need for the harshness, Username. You can voice your opinion without calling people names and dissing them. I don't understand how it's so hard to be civil. XD Just Shhhh. If you don't like something, you don't have to say anything. It's not going to ruin your life if you choose to be quiet.

And Helio, calm down. X3 Ya'll need to take a few chill pills.

@Fall damage thing: Fall damage I think in a way is important though. Makes you think about things more carefully, not go guns blazing and not care where you land up. In Gw2, fall damage is an important part of the game cause there's jumping puzzles. So obviously, with the idea of; "If I fall, my character will die and get a penalty for it." Then that suddenly makes it a lot more interesting. :)

@Carry weight limit: I feel like if any game is going to implement some limit to what they can carry, it should follow what Diablo did and make the objects a physical size that you have to adjust and move around to make as much room in your inventory as possible. I really like that mechanic.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

There is really no need for the harshness, Username. You can voice your opinion without calling people names and dissing them. I don't understand how it's so hard to be civil. XD Just Shhhh. If you don't like something, you don't have to say anything. It's not going to ruin your life if you choose to be quiet.

And Helio, calm down. X3 Ya'll need to take a few chill pills.

You say that as if I was the only one being a dick here

That post wasn't meant to be taken literally. I was just a bit frustrated because it felt like my opinion being attacked for merely being stated. Is asking for a niche option setting really that bad? It's just my opinion and I don't think I was being unreasonable with it. Sure I was gripey but I didn't hold it over peoples' heads saying "my opinion is the only right one.". As I said before opinions don't hurt you. People can have specific opinions and they have the right to express them. In that same vein they should also be respectful to others' opinions because they're just as valid.

And I was "just a little frustrated" when i read your response. I'm allowed to express my opinions just as you express yours, but if you form your opinion over what I believe to be bullshit i.e. ninja getting 1hit by literally anything when he's hardly touched the game and you not having the self control to use a system that isn't even remotely in the way

the name's riley

And I was "just a little frustrated" when i read your response. I'm allowed to express my opinions just as you express yours, but if you form your opinion over what I believe to be bullshit.

They might be bullshit to you but not to us. The things that I've said, you've said and Psychotic said are just our opinions, nothing more. So why are you treating our opinions as fact when they aren't? What are you fighting for here? Nothing is lost when someone expresses their opinion because it's just that, an opinion.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)