My Kind of Retro Rig (2004)

Now its not the oldest thing in the world, but it was made in 2004, so it's old enough.

This is the computer I play older games on. It's a Dell Percision 650. It has 2 F24/29 CPUs at 2.4 GHz. Now I say both F27 and F29 because the F29 CPU's are in it right now, but they only run at 2.4 GHz, which is what F27 CPU's run at, they should run at 2.8 GHz. They're single core hyper threaded CPUs. It currently has a Quatro FX 1000 GPU and 3 GB's of DDR1 memory. I also have 2 GB's of EEC memory. It has 3x 36 GB 10k rpm drives in it and gigabit Ethernet so I can store larger games on a NAS without issue.. I have 2 OS drives I swap out. One runs windows XP, the other runs windows 98. It's kind of baller for it's time. I'm also going to order a 6800 ultra some time, probably one from a G5 Mac.

c3e4941d4d6b8a5ef7d5e9935a6f3ebe.png

67cb72c7f03f24c029b813ac55b72342.png

1245d50c57919fbbffed63d9caa35872.png

A short video of me playing HL2 on the thing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxjSeToXQ5xZczd2SWVBTjN2TWM

This is also my introduction of sorts. I make source maps!

That is a very nice system for its age... Definitely get that 6800 for gaming, you don't need double floating point calculation accuracy and ecc memory for gaming.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

21 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i don't know, you can overclock the 1600, and i don't think there's much point in the X series

if you have money to throw away sure go for the 1600x,  but you might as well go for the 1700 and be done with it

otherwise if you want your PC to be cooler, go with the 1600, and leave it stock, if you don't care about heat, then it's up to you

i think they are okay cpus, they are on par with the intel i5 6500, so nothing overly amazing, but they make up with the raw core \ thread count, and with pretty good prices (an 8 core cpu for 120€ is a steal, if you can buy it from germany)

bear in mind that the cooler is really hard to install, it has a very finnicky spring system

Be careful, there are spambots on the loose! (Just checked and the one you replied to was one.)