Top 5 Developers

1. Valve, Nuff said.

2. Irrational games, system shock 2 and Bioshock(<3)

3. Mojang, Minecraft

4. DICE, mirror's edge

5. IDK

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. id Software (they made Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake, the ground pillars of modern gaming, even Half-Life would be nothing without the Quake engine)

2. Nintendo (responsible for some of the greatest classics in game history)

3. Valve (for obvious reasons)

4. Criterion Games (makers of Burnout and NFS Hot Pursuit)

5. Apogee/3D Realms (they made some of my favourite games ever)

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

1. Valve (Duh)

2. Bioware (Dragon Age + Mass Effect 2)

3. Frictional Games (Amnesia, Penumbra)

4. Monolith (Fear series)

5. 2k games (Bioshock)

I chose these simply because any company can make just another "run and gun" shooter game. Ever game I've listed here has an incredible story and feel to the gameplay. I honestly felt really guilty when I was confronting Alma in Fear simply because she didn't deserve it. Who the hell can make a game villain you empathize with?

By the way, to the guy who said Mirror's Edge I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't think I've cursed so much at a single video game since... ever. I found myself wanting to murder the maker of Mirror's Edge simply because it was so frustrating to play xD. Only finished it for the story.

1. Valve (Duh)

5. 2k games (Bioshock)

I chose these simply because any company can make just another "run and gun" shooter game. Ever game I've listed here has an incredible story and feel to the gameplay. I honestly felt really guilty when I was confronting Alma in Fear simply because she didn't deserve it. Who the hell can make a game villain you empathize with?

By the way, to the guy who said Mirror's Edge I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't think I've cursed so much at a single video game since... ever. I found myself wanting to murder the maker of Mirror's Edge simply because it was so frustrating to play xD. Only finished it for the story.

Monolith also made the great shooter No One Lives Forever and the Blood games, which remain some of my favourites.

1. Valve (Duh)

5. 2k games (Bioshock)

Haha, it can be quite frustrating at times. And overall it definitely had it's flaws. But i can look past those flaws and enjoy the game. And i am quite sure that by the time ME2 comes out DICE will have realized and fixed those flaws

Also 2k games published Bioshock, Irrational Games developed it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In no particular order:

iD Software

Valve

...um...

...hmmm...

Gearbox?

There are not many good PC developers left. . . Epic Games started sucking a while ago, Irrational Games as well.

They had nothing to do with the game itself, it was developed by People Can Fly, who made Painkiller a good seven years ago.

I haven't played Bulletstorm but what I read is that the PC version was not taken very seriously. Games for Windows Live is forced down people's throats, Epic released demos for X360 and PS3 versions right away but the PC players have to wait like second class citizens, and one minor but hilarious detail; the ini files of the game are encrypted.

They had nothing to do with the game itself, it was developed by People Can Fly, who made Painkiller a good seven years ago.

I haven't played Bulletstorm but what I read is that the PC version was not taken very seriously. Games for Windows Live is forced down people's throats, Epic released demos for X360 and PS3 versions right away but the PC players have to wait like second class citizens, and one minor but hilarious detail; the ini files of the game are encrypted.

Yeah, the multiplayer sucks. Couldn't even get it working. The game itself is fun enough though.

Lionhead Studio

Valve

Black Isle/Obsidian

BioWare

Ubisoft

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Valve

Blizzard

id

Infinity Ward

Rockstar

Gaming titans, genre starters, solid reputations, good relationship with the community.

Ubisoft used to be okay in the early Splinter Cell days but then they started their hate campaign against the PC. When it seemed impossible to impose anything worse than the Starforce copy protection they managed to out-do themselves.

Nintendo

VALVe

Square Enix

id

Naughty Dog

(sort of random)

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Square Enix? Are you kidding me? They throw out enough C&Ds to make EA seem modding friendly in comparison. They shut down promising projects just for the hell of it, projects that pose no risk to their financial outcome (It isn't like they are even trying to support their back catalogue either.).

In no order...

Valve

id

3DO

Dice

Blizzard

Sierra (back pre-2000, because of Earthsiege/Cyberstorm/Tribes series)

Activision (back pre-2000)

Westwood Studios (can't beat the C&C series for RTS)

Nintendo (ending at the N64, which was the last decent console they released IMO)

Ubisoft (partially, mostly because of the Assassin's Creed)

Bethesda

Eidos (only because of Deus Ex)

There are a couple others on the tip of my tongue, so I'll probly post them later.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Square Enix? Are you kidding me? They throw out enough C&Ds to make EA seem modding friendly in comparison. They shut down promising projects just for the hell of it, projects that pose no risk to their financial outcome (It isn't like they are even trying to support their back catalogue either.).

i mentioned it was a sort of random list,but they still made some of my favorite games,i gave them credit for their work,not for their marketing and community strategies. I cant say that i agree with most things they did either,they really seem to hate modding.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Ubisoft (partially, mostly because of the Assassin's Creed and Deus Ex series)

If I remember correctly, both Deus Ex 1 and 2 were developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos. Ubisoft had nada to do with the franchise.

I thought they were making the new one, and had bought the rights to the previous 2? (that was why I mentioned it)

If they aren't, I'll definitely edit my post...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Why would them getting the rights to the previous 2 games automatically mean they were responsible for them anyway? They still didn't develop them. Deus Ex 3 is actually being developed by Eidos and published by Square Enix. So no, Ubisoft has nothing to do with Deus Ex.