The Space Thread

Sign in to follow this  

Warp speed

I thought nothing could move faster than the speed of light without damaging the fabric of reality.

It's called Warp because it warps space in such a way as to allow the standard sublight speeds to move you much faster. In Star Trek it was basically forming a subspace bubble around the ship that allowed the ship to move as if it were in subspace without completely leaving normalspace.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

So uhhh... How about gettin frozen in a cryo lab, save up a few million and you could live there until commercial interplanet space travel was acheivable... I'd do it.

Did you know, the first probe to orbit Mercury JUST sent back its first batch of pictures yesterday?.

Actually MESSENGER made three transits of Mercury, two of Venus and one of Earth in a highly complicated interplanetary route in order to settle into a stable Mercurian orbit while using a minimum amount of fuel, and only settled into that orbit last week. It'll finish initialization procedures some time next week and will start showing us all sorts of tasty data on that turbulent little planet, the first we've had of the stuff since Mariner 10 in 1975.

It was launched in 2003 and has long been sending us pictures, but pictures only. It has on board all sorts of Spectrometry and Magnetotronic equipment for orbital surface analysis.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be calculated.

Star Trek hasn't been consistent with the exact velocity of the warp scale but what I based my calculation on was the simple formula v = (w^3)*c, which I found in wikipedia a good while ago to write my little calculation app for a programming course. So the scales would be simply:

1 = 1x

2 = 8x

3 = 27x

4 = 64x

5 = 125x

6 = 216x

7 = 343x

8 = 512x

9 = 729x

10 = 1000x

To be honest I like your calculation better though, much much higher acceleration as the warp factor increases. . .

I like speed.

BTG and I used warp speed to demonstrate just how vast space is. So far I'm not seeing any Star Trek talk in here, just a discussion of speed/distances.

BTG and I used warp speed to demonstrate just how vast space is. So far I'm not seeing any Star Trek talk in here, just a discussion of speed/distances.

You were talking about the Star Trek Warp Speed System.

Unless it's real, in which case I'll apologize.

How about that thing about some idiots wanting to make Pluto not a planet?

It is a "dwarf planet" now. Not that big of a change really. When new space objects get discovered definition sometimes need updating.

Was Pluto ever a planet? Thought it was too small to be a planet in the first place.

Was Pluto ever a planet?

Are you born in 2007? Pluto was a planet for over three quarters of a century, 1930 - 2006.

Was Pluto ever a planet?

Are you born in 2007? Pluto was a planet for over three quarters of a century, 1930 - 2006.

WTF Are you getting your knowledge from 80's text books? Pluto hasn't been a planet since '92. I was just saying that Pluto shouldn't of been a planet in the first place.

WTF Are you getting your knowledge from 80's text books?

Because clearly 80s text books have facts about the 21st century.

Pluto hasn't been a planet since '92.

Elaborate. Pluto was downgraded to a dwarf planet in August of 2006 because of rapid discoveries of new objects in the Kuiper belt, Eris being an example of an object even larger than Pluto itself, discovered the year before.

Depends on your definition of "planet"...

My definition is, if it has a diameter of over 500mi, has a definite solar orbit, (not planetary/lunar) is not in an obvious 'belt' of some kind, and is within 5 billion miles of the sun at Aphelion, then it is a planet.

The IAU definition is different however... IAU's definition of "planet"

It's not the first time planets have been "demoted." The asteroids Ceres, Pallas, Juno and Vesta were considered planets for about 50 years after Ceres's discovery.

Ceres is now also a "dwarf planet."

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Where have you been?

Everywhere but IAU's sites...