The Space Thread

Sign in to follow this  

Just a theory of course, but since there is actually frozen water on Mars, that might suggest possibilities for life.

There's frozen water on the moon too...

I don't think Mars ever supported intelligent life, maybe it has the potential. But we wont see that for a long, long time. And they did find life on Mars, except they were only single celled organisms.

There have been several different claims at different times of various origins saying that they found evidence of extraterrestrial micro-organism fossils.

However most of these claims are largely considered inconclusive at best.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

They have found fossilized remains of bacteria on asteroid/meteor remains everywhere. No clue where they're from, or if it was actually a phenomena produced by the formation of the asteroid/meteor, and was never a living bacteria.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I remember, they found chain structures on a meteorite from Allan Hills in antarctica. It's been debated whether its life (they are much smaller than regular bacteria) from mars or if it originated from earth.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

I remember, they found chain structures on a meteorite from Allan Hills in antarctica. It's been debated whether its life (they are much smaller than regular bacteria) from mars or if it originated from earth.

That is correct. There has been, and continues to be, debate over whether or not the structures found were life.

The meteorite is ALH-84001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001

There has, however, so far been no (zero) (none) (not a single speck of) life found on Mars or anywhere other than Earth.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I was looking at the mars rover mission site. Spirit has been dead for over a year, but Opportunity is still rolling!

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Opportunity Nears Crater Rim - sols 2641-2647, June 29-July 5, 2011:

Opportunity is now within 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) of the first landfall on the rim of Endeavour crater, at a place called "Spirit Point."

With multi-sol planning for the 4th of July holiday weekend, the rover drove only once in the past week with a drive to the southeast on Sol 2645 (July 3, 2011), of over 162 meters (531 feet). On Sol 2642 (June 30, 2011), the Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer (APXS) performed another atmospheric argon measurement. On the next sol, a forward link ultra-high frequency (UHF) test was conducted with the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

As of Sol 2647 (July 5, 2011), solar array energy production was 421 watt-hours with an atmospheric opacity (Tau) of 1.03 and a solar array dust factor of 0.596.

Total odometry is 31,630.68 meters (31.63 kilometers, or 19.66 miles).

That is one badass machine 8-)

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Areen't they just? especially sconsidering that their original middsion lifetime was set at 30 days... now Opportunity is closing in on 3000 days.

I wish my car could outlive its design lifetime by that much, with NO maintenance...

Or better yet... me...

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Areen't they just? especially sconsidering that their original middsion lifetime was set at 30 days... now Opportunity is closing in on 3000 days.

I saw them while they were still being built... They intentionally underestimate the capabilities just like all good engineers.

I like the space. It it so frigging big, far beyond anything we all together could

imagine and the small bit we have 'seen' yet looks already interesting.

Also I really hope there is 'intelligent' life somewhere out there.

I've yet to find it on earth and I do hope that this life is not like us at all, if

there is some of course. :?

On another note, does someone know about Elenin?

It is supposed to be a very large asteriod, some even say a brown dwarf or

something like that, that will fly around the sun sometime later this year and will

come quite close to earth on its way.

There are so many stupid theories flying around it in my humble opinion though.

For example, it is supposed to cause earthquakes everytime it lines up with other

planets onto earth. Well, sometimes it was true, but mostly not as far as I know.

Another one was that the supposed boom in bunker constructions all around the

world indicates that the governments know about a possible catastrophic event

in the near future which many attribute to such likes as Elenin...

Or maybe they just expect a major war after the USD and EUR finally crash.

Oh well, I drift away. Lets just hope it is another one of these 'Buhu, the world

will go done, it is dangerous, take this! (It only costs a 100 bucks)'. :?

Well, I do hope a useful spacetravel (I actually hate the rocket based one that is

used so far) will be possible someday, probably not in any of our lifetime, but I do

hope it may. :)

On another note, does someone know about Elenin?

It is supposed to be a very large asteriod, some even say a brown dwarf or

something like that, that will fly around the sun sometime later this year and will

come quite close to earth on its way.

It's a comet, the closest brown dwarf is over 3.6 parsecs away.

With a minimum distance of 0.23385 AU's, I doubt it will collide with earth. The Nibru Collision has been talked about for over 16 years and is complete pseudoscience. It was originally thought up by a woman that believed she could contact aliens, via an implant in her brain, who warned her about a disastrous pole shift caused by an object passing through the solar system in May 2003. Not the most reliable source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2010_X1

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C/2010+X1;cad=1#cad

Anyone want to bet in 100 years there will be enough space junk to have a significant impact on our daily lives and space missions? :lol:

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Anyone want to bet in 100 years there will be enough space junk to have a significant impact on our daily lives and space missions? :lol:

Anyone want to bet that there already is?

Some people are pretending Elenin is Nibiru because... well, they're just so stupid that they can't tell a tiny comet from a GIANT planet. Brown Dwarfs mass much more than Jupiter, and they are always around Jupiter's size or larger as well. There is NO WAY for a person to honestly mistake a comet for a brown dwarf... unless they are among the stupidest people alive.

Therefore the people making an Elenin-Nibiru connection are either dishonest, or really, REALLY dumb.

As for Nibiru... as I've discussed on another thread, it is completely physically impossible for Nibiru to exist the way that the people who "believe" in it describe it, in the same solar system that WE, with our nice neat inner solar system with planets in nearly circular orbits, live in.

Can't happen. If I high-mass brown dwarf were careening through the inner solar system every few thousands of years, it would have made millions of trips in the 5.4 billion years our solar system has existed, and at some point its gravity would have pulled the inner solar system planets out of their nice orbits into a crazy bunch of elongated ellipses. That's how gravity works.

tl;dr - things have mass, so Nibiru is fake. The people who believe in it are lemmings, and should all self-terminate.

Just a theory of course, but since there is actually frozen water on Mars, that might suggest possibilities for life.

There's frozen water on the moon too...

I don't think Mars ever supported intelligent life, maybe it has the potential. But we wont see that for a long, long time. And they did find life on Mars, except they were only single celled organisms.

Maybe not, but I just like dreaming about martians being our predecessors.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I can't wait for the day when we have bases on both of Mars' moons and can safely conduct teleportation experiments there.

Oh... wait...

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Why would we conduct experiments on Mars?

Antarctica is more hospitable: it's warmer and more humid.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Plus there's no chance of being invaded by hell since it'd be too cold for them.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.