Surface Tension ( DOS ) 1996

Sign in to follow this  

Hello Everyone! I wanted to mention this game - Surface Tension ( DOS , PC ) 1996

- not to be confused with the Half Life level

It has an awesome soundtrack and I really enjoyed it.  It's extremly obscure in that there are no video reviews of it on youtube ( and yes, it was a fully boxed game that was sold in stores )

492df23760e02_74726n.jpg

I mean.. check out this track from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhjrRojYzBc

how can anything with this track not be awesome? I rest my case

surface12.png

the graphics may seem simple - but the terrain is in legit VOXELS and is destructible!!!

Also, even though this is an arcade flight sim,  there is a legit story that I recall enjoying.

In terms of missions it's not just mindless shooting of enemies - it's quite involved.

It's is not available on GOG, but with some searching it's possible to find archives of it if you know where to look

Edited by yuriythebest (see edit history)

So, I have a YouTube channel and website. Both are my username. That's not really super the point but...explains why I am here. I got Surface Tension from my mom. She finds me interesting games to add to my collection. I have a few thousand physical computer games.

After I get back home from my folks' place, I Google the game...and nothing. A Gamespot review, a Moby Games page but nothing really concrete. Also, no gameplay videos on YouTube besides a really compressed trailer. Thankfully the WayBackMachine archived the publisher's website so we got some info like original retail price.

During my research I was brought here. I see the poster only has 1 post and hasn't visited the site since then but, if you come back I am here to say that there is finally gameplay on YouTube!

I don't like advertising my own content on another creator's website so...this is mainly a celebration that another game has escaped the void. The...never to be seen again void. Even though I'm small, I am still glad the video is there so if someone for some reason searches the game up they'll find some content...no matter how amateurish the content lol.

Anyway that being said I low key wouldn't mind if Ross covered it...for one reason...he is a trooper.

When I don't like a game I can not finish it. If I don't enjoy it, I'm going to stop. However, Ross has beaten some horrible games. Since I am a wimpy crybaby (lol) I didn't even get past level 1. My boy Ross? He may get a little further! We may even see the end which I think only a handful of people have actually seen!

Anyway sorry for resurrecting an old post. I read the forum rules because I made an account because of this one post (I hope to stick around and talk more). I didn't see anything about bumping old posts. If I broke a rule, moderators I apologize!

Alright, I'm off to go cover more obscure games...or maybe popular ones...who knows!

I remember this game laying in the shops back in the day because it had a similar style box as  Battlecruiser 3000AD, which was probably why I didn't buy it, that the only drawing looks like a pile of poo wouldn't have helped it either. ?

Still, I was curious enough that I made a wishlist entry for it on gog.com.

I distinctly remember playing a demo of this in the early 2000's. (when I found a pile of old demo CDs in the trash) I remember it being somewhat similar to Terminal Velocity or Hellbender. (both of which were made by Terminal Reality, along with the Fly! and Monster Truck Madness series' that I also played heavily) Was a more primitive engine graphically, but more advanced in the underlying technologies. (similar to the difference between Mechwarrior and Earthsiege)

I don't remember much more than that sadly.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.