Crying Suns

Sign in to follow this  

Checks all the boxes of things to have in a modern rouge lite. The same basic map gameplay you have in other titles from Fictorum to Void Bastards. Somewhat real time combat but on a tiled field, which makes it strangely static. The plot is interesting, but after an hour or so I came to the conclusion I can have a much better experience by just reading any sci fi novel.

When did this get added? I looked it up after the epic giveaway and didn't find it.
My reaction was a strong "Pass".

Burn the World!

I really like the pixelart of this game, and as @biosynth8said, the plot is really interesting at the start, as well as the tiled combat (in real time), and the option to send your crew to investigate planets... but that's all, after an hour or two, there's not much to the game sadly. I think it could have been a successor to FTL if it would have been well thought; I'm not saying it's bad, but after some hours it gets really boring. Rating would be "Hazy".

I'd like to elaborate a little because I don't quite see why you guys feel like this is a worthy successor to FTL :)

I found the game a little bit like a badly implemented board game.

A mix of a slot machine (the planet exploration and the officer skills for instance) and a game of rock paper scissors (the combat mechanism - 3 class of ships, each class is weak against one type and strong against the other. Which also has a weird win condition of defeating the enemy main deployment ship).
Additionally you jump inside a rather scarce and linear map compared to the more free system maps in FTL where if you were so inclined you could traverse in a snake fashion. And none of your progress is saved when you move from one game sector to the other excused with some stupid story mechanic where the jump gate breaks your ship (which is kinda like the galaxy jump in No Man's Sky which got so many players annoyed).
Sorry about the disjointedness, had no sleep tonight.

Burn the World!

On 6/19/2021 at 6:59 AM, kerdios said:

I'd like to elaborate a little because I don't quite see why you guys feel like this is a worthy successor to FTL :)

I found the game a little bit like a badly implemented board game.

A mix of a slot machine (the planet exploration and the officer skills for instance) and a game of rock paper scissors (the combat mechanism - 3 class of ships, each class is weak against one type and strong against the other. Which also has a weird win condition of defeating the enemy main deployment ship).
Additionally you jump inside a rather scarce and linear map compared to the more free system maps in FTL where if you were so inclined you could traverse in a snake fashion. And none of your progress is saved when you move from one game sector to the other excused with some stupid story mechanic where the jump gate breaks your ship (which is kinda like the galaxy jump in No Man's Sky which got so many players annoyed).
Sorry about the disjointedness, had no sleep tonight.

Now that I think about it, you're exactly right... it's a shame such pixelart han't been used on a game with better mechanics