Help with a game by VALVE/Steam

Sign in to follow this  

So, I play the Left 4 Dead series, a lot (both over 500 hours total, per game), long story short, I've had to uninstall Left 4 Dead 2, and reinstall it, but before it can finish, it gets suspended with .3 MB remaining. I've done everything I can think of to fix the problem, a simple reboot, rebooting Steam, uninstalling and reinstalling again, contacted Steam Support (still waiting on reply), deleted ClientRegistry.blob, paused and restart the download, changing region download, leaving it on overnight, and verifying catch files. Any suggestions on how I can fix this, also if you need a picture, here's one http://img232.imageshack.us/i/left4dead2help.png/

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I knew I forgot to add something on the list, time for a quick edit.

Have you tried launching it with the tiny amount left? It might be lying to you about a small amount being left. I've seen it do that before.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

This game is currently unavailable.

Please try again at another time.

Try disabling your antivirus, it may be trying to scan the files... (and failing)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I had same problem as you. I was downloading Css and Portal2 at the same time, and when portal2 finished to dl my css download stuck at few Mb. I tryed to launch it few times, and after saying "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time." it some how debuged itself, and started auto update. I dont know if this helps, but try it, it helped me.

I just tried CCleaner, and disabling my antivirus, both didn't work.

Are you running Windows? If so, are you running Steam on an with Administrator privileges? Otherwise this might cause issues because it doesn't have permission to write files to somewhere that it needs to.

Yes to Windows, Yes to Admin, and yes it still doesn't work.

I know thats a stupid question, but you have enough space?

If so, delete all game files and download them again, if don't, free space (more than needed, make sure you have space for the game and a half (cache for the system to move files if needed), and if it does'nt finish itself delete all game files and download them again :/

Yes I do have enough space, and no that didn't help.

When you've got it downloaded to just those 0.3 mb remaining, go in to the Left 4 Dead 2 directory and delete a few random files, like the .exe, some sounds, whatever. Not too much, just a few things. Then right click on the game in your directory and verify game cache files like you've tried before.

Does that work?

EDIT: Also on an entirely unrelated note, where is your avatar from?

I'm about to try that out (I will edit this post with end results), and for my avatar, I made it myself, it's also my spray in game.

Edit: just tried it, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it didn't help.

I'm out of ideas, I can only suggest contacting Steam support. The website is useful and in addition if you file a ticket you might get the advice needed to fix your problem. If you do, do post it as it sounds like a really frustrating issue.

https://support.steampowered.com/

Valve info:

Telephone:

425-889-9642

FAX:

425-827-4843 ( just in case you needed that too)

Good luck, maybe you will have a full 1 minute of angry talk with someone at valve.

EDIT: Here you go

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please check your non-Unicode language settings.

Nagivate to your control panel:

In Windows XP, click the Start button, selecting Settings, then Control Panel.

In Windows Vista and 7, click on the Start button, and select the Control Panel.

Launch "Regional and Language Options" from your Control Panel.

If you are on Windows XP, click on the Advanced tab. If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, click on the Administrative tab.

Under "Language for non-Unicode programs", please select your region of "English (US)".

Load Steam.

From the "My Games" tab, right-click on the game and select "Properties" from the menu.

Select the "Local files" tab and click the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button.

Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

I would still call them though and maybe have a chit chat about that episode three

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Good news, it solved itself, leaving my computer/Steam on 4+ days in a row, fixed it.