I made a Gorilla Gong account... I wish I hadn't.

I've been trying to send an account deletion request but I'm not getting any response on the site itself so I figured I'd post about it here.

I'll be real with you guys - if you don't have an account yet and are thinking of getting one, my advice is: don't.  There's nothing you can do there that you can't already do here, and this site has double the functionality of Gorilla Gong.  It's got potential but until they make some major strides in what you can actually do on the site I don't think it's worth it.  The best I can recommend is maybe browsing it without an account and going direct to any creators you find on the site.

And to those of you that are already on the site... you have my sympathies.

Well, you might say I'm losing focus, kind of drifting into the abstract...

54 minutes ago, EightInchNails said:

I've been trying to send an account deletion request but I'm not getting any response on the site itself so I figured I'd post about it here.

I'll be real with you guys - if you don't have an account yet and are thinking of getting one, my advice is: don't.  There's nothing you can do there that you can't already do here, and this site has double the functionality of Gorilla Gong.  It's got potential but until they make some major strides in what you can actually do on the site I don't think it's worth it.  The best I can recommend is maybe browsing it without an account and going direct to any creators you find on the site.

If you are in europe you can sew them for breaching the GRPD rules (or however the order of that acronym goes),
you might even get a nice payday

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

On 9/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, EightInchNails said:

Hi there, I don't frequently check the GG email, I will look into it. Do you have the same username as on this forum?

On 9/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, kerdios said:

If you are in europe you can sew them for breaching the GRPD rules (or however the order of that acronym goes),

I want to make something clear that seems to keep coming up. The right to be forgotten does not mean that your account must be deleted. First I'm in America and the servers hosting the website are in America. This means that it doesn't fall under GDPR. Under Google v. Garcia this extension of European rights into America was ruled unconstitutional. Second, GDPR does not include "Every single post since the beginning of time." GDPR means that I'm required to remove personally identifying information from the site. If, for example, you put photos of yourself up, your name, attached your birthday or address to your account, I must delete those. If I wanted to be pedantic, GDPR even gives me the right to request government ID and a long series of forms. In short, I delete this data (from GG that's the site I own) because I hate it when web-admins don't do it for me, and I try to be nice.

Now regarding your post @kerdios, you're suggesting that this user takes legal action (against me) and suggesting that they might profit from it. Not only would it probably not pay out, you could be held responsible for their fees and damages. It sure looks like you're giving legal advice, even if you were licensed to do so which I'm suspecting you're not. Practicing law (advising of rights and penalties) without a license is illegal in the EU and America.

In short, nose out.

Edited by The Britain (see edit history)

Whoa, Drama Alert much?  I just spent the last two weeks with no internet and then I come back to this.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

MY GORILLA SHAPED HEART WILL GO ON

I'm definitely gonna try and make a tune out of that lol

On 9/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, kerdios said:

Bruh

On 9/18/2020 at 4:27 AM, The Britain said:

In short, I delete this data (from GG that's the site I own) because I hate it when web-admins don't do it for me, and I try to be nice.

Okay so @The Britain I apologise if I came across as overly critical but I hope you understand my position, when I was younger I wasn't as careful about what information I shared where as I should've been, and now I'm old enough to know better I've been trying to mitigate that as much as I can after having what I can only describe as the worst kind of wake-up call in that situation, and having had some bad experiences with some of these sites has left me terse and frustrated.

I understand that GDPR doesn't apply outside of Europe and site owners are under no obligation to provide an option to delete accounts (and I'm not such a melodramatic opportunist to try an ill-advised legal battle on the say-so of someone who can't spell sue correctly), but that said I steadfastly believe that providing users the ability to choose to have their accounts closed, even if only as a courtesy for peace of mind, is something that should at very least be considered.  I probably couldn't list all the reasons why it should be an option, as in theory it has no immediate tangible profit for the site owner and I very much doubt if enough people online even consider it a concern, though they absolutely should.

You seem like a reasonable, understanding individual, and I hope you can appreciate my position.  I don't mean to make anyone's life difficult or depreciate what goes into running and maintaining websites.  I'm just tired of banging my head against brick walls trying to make up for past carelessness and getting little to no support from the people I'm supposed to ask for help.  I only want to resolve this matter as quickly - and painlessly - as possible, and I sincerely hope we can reach an understanding.  If you have anything you feel like saying, if you have your own take or I'm not seeing the whole picture, I'll hear it gladly enough.  Hell, it'd be nice to be meeting someone halfway for once.

Well, you might say I'm losing focus, kind of drifting into the abstract...

5 hours ago, EightInchNails said:

I can relate ?

Nah man you're good and I get it, what's your username on there? You can PM it to me.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, EightInchNails said:

I can relate ?

Howdy, I haven't heard back from you in a while. Please send me your username on GG and I will get that taken care of. I'm going to lock this thread as I believe it has run it's course. For anyone else that stumbles on this you can do the same.