"Billionaires See VR as a Way to Avoid Radical Social Change" - Wired

Thanks for the article, I gave it a reading; it looks a bit odd

seeing WIRED publishing these types of pieces, historically

they have been really pro Silicon Valley.

Anyway, I agree that Carmack sounded very out of  touch in

that Rogan interview.

I can see Carmack's viewpoint and Newell's, and can confidently say they are nowhere near the same type of thing. Carmack wants people to escape the shitty reality by going into the game, Newell wants the transcendence of consciousness from exclusively organic, to a more cybernetic form.

That said, neither are likely to get it, as places like Facebook will monetize the shit out of those technologies, and it will remain a luxury shithole rather than a household item like a refrigerator .

Edited by BTGBullseye (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, HeartaceX said:

I agree that they are surely different, did the article imply that?

It kinda did. It was trying to use subtle psychology to make them seem very similar and very bad simultaneously.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Aren't we already somewhat constantly tapped into a virtual world? The internet is pretty much an alternate world in it of itself, people act different here than they would in real life. Someone's opinion could be wildly different just because they simply had to type it first, rather than speak it.

It is no doubt that the internet is vastly different place than our real world but I think the real debate is how they interact and control eachother.
Hell, our recent elections are probably the most publicized since the invention of the television with a majority of the world having a computer or phone around them pretty much all the time. That is, not everyone reads the news as much than the 1950's-60's since newspapers are now pretty outdated.

I think some people see the overabundance of information today as a disaster, and I do think alot of people have a over-reliance on technology, not structurally but personally, I have a friend who for every night since he was 16 could only fall asleep while watching Youtube videos otherwise he wouldn't be able to sleep but I'm kinda deviating what I was saying.

The Internet is great, but it needs something like a great reset. So people stop endlessly browsing Facebook for hours and pay more attention what's going on around them, something something slavery of the mind.