Your favourite handheld games

Sign in to follow this  

Whether you're on the loo, at the bus, at a boring birthday party or just somewhere without access to your regular consoles, these are the games you like to play on the go.

They don't have to be handheld exclusives, but they have to be on handheld devices that fit in your pocket.

My top 11 (because I like to go one step beyond ;) ):

1. Tetris (Every handheld device ever)

About as a expectable as Nintendo releasing a Mario game on each console, Tetris is a game that deserves the number one spot simply because it exists on every handheld device imaginable, even pocket calculators have been programmed for this simple game. The reason? Addictive gameplay that does not rely on realistic graphics but simple gravity. Whether you play it on your mobile, your gameboy or your PSP, Tetris is probably a game that will exist as long as there are electronic devices to play it on.

2. Pokemon Blue/Red (GB)

This is the game that started it all. Pokemon Blue and Red are basically the same game but a lot of gamers probably fondly remember trying to catch all of them in this classic title. With unforgetable music that still shines as one of the best soundtracks from the 8bit generation and excellent gameplay solid as a Geodude, this is still one of the best titles in the franchise.

3. Mario Kart DS (NDS)

If you are going to play Mario Kart, this is probably the title to go with. Not only did it bring wireless multiplayer to the franchise, it is also one of the finest games ever crafted. It might not be a very realistic racing game, but it certainly is the most fun.

4. Metal Gear Solid (GBC)

Metal Gear Solid on GBC is actually not a straight port of the PS1 game but has its own story to play through and feels closer to the MSX2 classic than its PS1 counterpart. The most impressive part of the game are the VR training missions that look almost identical to the PS1 ones. With impressive graphics for a GBC title and a compelling story, the only thing this title lacks is David Hayter.

5. Super Mario Bros. DX (GBC)

Super Mario Bros. DX is a port of the original NES Super Mario Bros. and a very good one at that. Not only is it a pixelperfect port of the NES classic, it even adds an overworld map and has a calendar function. It makes the GBA port look outdated in many ways, though the narrow view might scare some off. Otherwise, highly recommended for GBC or GBA owners.

6. Wolfenstein 3D (GBA)

While the SNES port of Wolfenstein 3D left a lot to be desired, this Nintendo port actually got it right. Though it lacks quicksave and music, it makes up for it by being pretty much a pixel perfect port of the original DOS game and is free from the censorship that plagued the SNES port. It even uses the shoulder buttons for strafing, making it a lot easier to control, and who can resist shooting Nazi's on the go?

7. Doom II RPG (Mobile)

One of the most impressive mobile games to date, Doom II RPG brings 3d graphics to mobile phones in a very impressive manner. With a unique story and a lot of levels to play through, Doom II RPG is one of the highest recommended mobile games.

8. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

A GBA exclusive Metroid title and chronologically the last one in the series, Metroid Fusion is one of the finest 2d Metroids crafted, though still not to the level of Super Metroid. Though it's maybe too linear for some Metroid players, it's still a very solid game with great atmosphere and graphics.

9. Super Mario Land (GB)

Easily one of the best handheld games ever made, Super Mario Land brought Mario to the handheld world. Though the game's setting is a bit unusual and it has some quirks, it is still a solid platformer.

10. Nintendogs (NDS)

Nintendogs is pretty much the new Tamagotchi. Among all the virtual pet games out there, this is probably among the best and really uses the DS capabilities to the max. Probably not as much of a game as it is a simulation, Nintendogs has still captured the hearts of many Nintendo DS owners.

11. Sonic Classics Collection (NDS)

Ever wanted to play the oldschool Sonic games on the go? Sonic Classics Collection for Nintendo DS fixes that problem. Even including the option to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3, this collection is probably the most complete as of yet and even adds save functions. A must-have for any Sonic fan.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

1.) Advance Wars Days of Ruin (DS)

-Make your own maps, play against computers or people. Great Campaign. Its one of my favorite games.

2.) Mario Kart DS/Mario Kart on GBA (DS)

-Basically same game to me with minor differences. I played each for a long time.

3.) Zelda Minish Cap (GBA)

-My favorite Zelda game on the handheld, it was fun. I got EVERYTHING and COMPLETELY FINISHED THE GAME!

4.) Tetris (Gameboy)

-OH YEA!

5.) WarioLand 3 (Gameboy Color)

- It was cool just added this to make a top 5.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Pokemon Blue and Red are basically the same game but a lot of gamers probably fondly remember trying to catch all of them in this classic title..

Those were the only games where you could actually catch them all without cheating and/or seriously damaging your brain and your wallet :?

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Mario Kart DS/Mario Kart on GBA (DS)

-Basically same game to me with minor differences. I played each for a long time.

Mario Kart Advance has simpler graphics that look closer to the original SNES Mario Kart than Mario Kart 64 (probably because it was pretty much a portable SNES to begin with), but uses similar pre-rendered sprites to the latter. Mario Kart DS has fully 3d tracks and characters.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Mario Kart DS/Mario Kart on GBA (DS)

Mario Kart Advance has simpler graphics that look closer to the original SNES Mario Kart than Mario Kart 64 (probably because it was pretty much a portable SNES to begin with), but uses similar pre-rendered sprites to the latter. Mario Kart DS has fully 3d tracks and characters.

The differences are minor to me, but the enjoyment I got out of both games is pretty much equal.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

GTA: Liberty City Stories was a pretty good one. I was impressed how they were able to fit a GTA III size game to a handheld.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

8. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

A GBA exclusive Metroid title and chronologically the last one in the series, Metroid Fusion isla one of the finest 2d Metroids crafted, though still not to the level of Super Metroid. Though it's maybe too linear for some Metroid players, it's still a very solid game with great atmosphere and graphics.

Metroid fusion was awesome! But curse you Alyxx you already said all there is to say!

11. Sonic Classics Collection (NDS)

Ever wanted to play the oldschool Sonic games on the go? Sonic Classics Collection for Nintendo DS fixes that problem. Even including the option to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3, this collection is probably the most complete as of yet and even adds save functions. A must-have for any Sonic fan.

Is it just me or does this kind of sound like an ad? :?

Mario and Luigi Superstar saga. While I know it was a ripoff of Mario and the seven stars, and may not even be memorable to anyone else but, it was the only game I had to for around 7 hours a day for about five days (Big field trip). Surprisingly it lasted me and I had a lot of fun playing it. Even if no one else remembers/knows about it, it will remain in my favorites forever

I'm going to have to agree with you there on mario kart DS. There's some inexplicable force or mechanic that made it a ton of fun.

Solitaire! Almost every old phone or brick can run it in at least some form. Used to have an old Nokia, but now I have an iPhone.