Subtitles

Sign in to follow this  

I'm working on the next FM episodes and I'll have them as soon as I can, although in the meantime I want to get some feedback on subtitles. Subtitles are going to be a big section of the new website, so I'm trying to standardize what method will be used. I have two options right now. One will have subtitles color-coded to the speaker. I thought this might make it easier for people to distinguish who is talking, since Mike and Dave use identical models for the characters. The other option I've heard of is to make the subtitles all the same color, but use a hyphen to distinguish when two characters are talking in the same time frame. Below are snapshots of each method:

Color coded:

Hyphenated

Let me know what you think in the comments and I may put up a poll. I'm especially interested in international viewers who will benefit from future translations. If you don't care about the subtitles, then just ignore this. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:

Alright, due to feedback from translators and viewers, I've made my decision. My plans are to make plain white outlined text using hyphenated versions for the hard-encoded Youtube copies, and make both hyphenated and color-coded subtitle files (for ones that get done this way) available for download.

Dude i think that it should be colored and Hyphenated...by the way love what your doing man keep it up

I'd go for color-coding. I don't find the colors that intrusive and it becomes much more obvious who is talking at a given moment.

Why not do both? Color code, but add a hyphen for each character?

I think the colored idea is probably the best idea, it makes it easier to figure out who is talking. If there is just Hyphens then it still could be anyone talking.

The color-coding is the better choose i think

Dude i think the color-coding is better =)

Hyphenated subtitles, I think the colored ones would draw too much atention away from the action

Hyphenated.I can distinguish who is talking by the voice sound.But you can put both subtitles.

More CP Episodes Pleaseeee!

I say both, it's unmistakable then.

I'd think using both would work well.

Both is going to be a pain for anyone making these or translating. In addition to downloading the subtitles, I plan to add hard-encoded copies on Youtube and I want one standardized version.

I think that using coloured subtitles are be the best choice.

I think the Hyphenated looks more "professional", so I'll choose this one...The color one is good too, but still...

i would also say coloured subs are better.

As long as colours aren't too vivid.
You would want the colours to be distinguishable but at the same time not stand out too much

Colouring is probably the best, although it might get hard to read some of the text to some background (but then again that yellow text is a bit too bright for most source areas anyway), but for some reason it really feels like Mike should be the one with red text...