Subtitles

Sign in to follow this  

I'm not too sure.

With Hyphenated It looks professional because that is how the subtitles always are on the foreign films I've seen on TV and DVDs. However people might have trouble distinguishing who is speaking, they're just bobbing heads mostly, especially if they are off-camera.

Color is more reminiscent of the subtitles in Half-Life 2 (and some other games), where each character has it's own color and background characters have grey. However, if you wish to keep the identity of a character secret, like villain or murderer (gasp, it's you!) talking off-screen, but then you can always use grey for them.

Colors can be a bit more distracting than just hyphenated yellow, and it could take a while for viewers to match color to faces.

I think I am leaning towards color just a tiny bit more ...

colored for sure. always easiest to read and distinguish when I'm watching something like Anime for example.

Why do you need subtitles? Are they going to be speaking in a different language or something?

I think color coded one is better. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see new web site and subtitle updates! Keep up the good work Ross!

Colour coding I think would be the best.

Colour coding looks nicer however what about any viewers who are colour blind?

Color-coded all the way man, leaving them just hyphenated may eventually lead to someone looking away and then trying to figure out who's saying what.

I think the colored subs look better and are more clear.

And how is the Tunnel CP episode and ur website going???
And also did u almost finished those 2 FM episodes?

I'm used to the notation without color so I don't know how distracting the colors might be. But the colors might make it easier to see who's talking.

Color coded. Way easier for me to make color subs, heheh. ^^

The color coded subtitles do seem more visually appealing, but then again I'm not going to be using these subtitles so my opinion here really doesn't matter.

If the translators want Hyphenated then go with hyphenated, the voices are distinct enough to differentiate further. Plus there's always the context to go by.

Actually, I prefer the hyphenated. Color coded subtitles have an unprofessional/cartoon-ish feel to them. Commonly (on TV and movies), there is a hyphen and whenever a character is off-screen they show their name ('Dave: Whoop!')

AK-47

Hello Ross.

Me again

DO you need a person to make Russian subtitles?

Seeing how i work for Dattebayo LLC, my choice would be the hyphenated version. It's more professional, and sometimes easier to follow since most people get irritated by the different colors over time.

I'd say color-coded too. It's easier to interpret who's talking, and I'm sure translators could still translate the dialogue and keep the color coding somehow... And I'm seriously looking forward to your next videos, FM and CP are my favorite series, TV included.

Honestly, use the color-coded. Hyphenated, no color is nowhere NEAR as clear as color-coded. Don't take short-cuts, go for the quality. *salute*

I'm gonna have to go with using both. I put hours of thought into this, and it's the best way.

OH YES! Thank you. Now I can translate your movies into other language much easier.

Color coding is really the only sensible way to go in the Civil Protection episodes, but you could easily get away with the hyphenated subtitles in Freeman's Mind, mostly because there -normally- aren't that many people speaking other than Freeman, and that could be in Italics.