Forum Post Adventure

Sign in to follow this  

Run back into the safety of the first freight car temporarily until the killer-crab bleeds out.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

You retreat to the safety of the first freight car, looking back to see the crustaceanbot collapse forwards and begin trying to inch itself forwards using the chainsaw blade as some kind of miniature tank tread.

Once back in the other car, you look up and see Earl, clenched up holding on to the ceiling. You reach up, grab him and hold him in front of your face, yelling

"WHAT THE HELL, EARL!"

"Sorry about that, Gord. I got a few bigger brothers. Security for the transit system. They broke a little while ago -I haven't been able to get to the control console to fix 'em because it's on the other locomotive."

"What does that make you?" you ask, slightly frustrated.

"I'm a Security Manager. Ironic, huh?"

"Yeah, real funny." you reply sarcastically. "Are there more?"

"Not sure. They get on and off automatically when we stop at stations, depending on the security demands and load size of the cargo. There's probably more, but not too many."

You look behind you and see the crustaceanbot has stopped moving, although its chainsaw is still running.

Obvious exits are NORTH to the electrical tender, SOUTH to the second freight car, EAST off the train or WEST try to climb the tarps.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Try and remove the chainsaw for use as a counter-crustaceanbot weapon.

You use your very strong legs to stomp on the elbow of the crustaceanbot until it severs the chainsaw claw. It looks like its either powered by gasoline or the spirits of the damned. Either way, it looks like a fearsome weapon.

Make a protective helmet out of scrap metal from the crab, then go south.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Using your ever-capable crowbar, you pry off the main shell of the crab and use some of the scrawl wire of the crab's innards to make a helmet. It looks half-way inbetween a Brodie Helmet and some kind of garb from Kevin Costner's Waterworld.

You head south, moving cautiously through many freight cars uninterrupted with Earl following close behind.

After a few more cars, you're stopped by two crustaceanbots SOUTH. Looking behind, two more appear NORTH.

With what, your bare hands?

Use super legs to fight the robo-crabs.

Truly a tale to tell the grandchildren and one that brought this parser to tears, you defeated all four robo-crabs using your legs, and dealing a killing blow to a surprise ambush by a fifth with the human tooth. Next time you're in town you should probably get some shoe polish. Or base solvent.

You don't worry about the strewn parts because it was totally self-defense.

Earl is too stunned to speak. You continue South un-accosted for many more cars until you reach a very solid box car with a locked door.

"I think this is the secure block. Just past it is the tail locomotive. I doubt I'll be able to get inside with my access, and you've already tried your card."

"So how are we supposed to get to it?"

"I don't know. You're one of the scientists, use your science!"

Obvious exits are NORTH to the previous freight car, UP to try and climb onto the roof of the solid car, RIGHT or LEFT to try and shimmy around it, DOWN to try and climb under the carriage of the solid car, or use an item in your POCKET.

Use science plus crowbar to open up the door (and to produce results).

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

By way of physics that you did in your head, you bludgeon the door repeatedly but there's no dice. It's definitely either a very thick and heavy, or very determined, door. You consider that science would frown upon shooting at a door which glanced off experienced crowbar blows, thus making you predict shooting it will probably just deflect off and possibly have shrapnel end up flying towards you.

The way you Saw might get you into the car is far less intuitive than you thought it would be.

Use chainsaw to try and cut a way in; be careful not to cut any wires.

The chainsaw doesn't take kindly to determined doors. However after almost a minute of grinding into the door, it looks like you've cut a gouge barely a millimeter deep into what may be a several-inch thick door. This could work, but it will take a long time. There's probably a better way in.

Look for the electric lock and hack it.

The password on the lock turned out to be "notpassword" which only took you five minutes to guess.

Inside the car look like parts to a tank or armored troop transport.

Somehow that reminds you of getting ambushed by a big green thing, and a person that was following you got smashed into a wall, and then you falling...

Past the door of the solid car is the rear locomotive. You climb up the ladder to the crew cabin.

It looks identical to the front locomotive except there is nothing in the cubby behind the ladder, and there is a young woman sitting in a chair opposite the fusebox, reading a book.

"Hey Mercury." motions Earl, moving towards the chair. "This is Gordon, he was wondering something about eyeglasses."

"Yeah, I lost mine."

Mercury puts a bookmark in her book and looks up, examining you loosely.

"Are you with one of the science teams?"

"Yeah. Anomalous Materials. Well, I was." in response she put her book away and stood up, interested.

"Anomalous... you must be one of those guys that disproved String theory."

"That's me."

"Cool. Glasses.. hmm, well I might be able to get something for you from Bluehill. I'm one of the Requisition officers."

"Oh so that's what you are." Piped up the train. "Do you happen to know what's up with Apex ordering all the fuel and whatnot?"

"I don't know. But I do know that lots of other departments lately have been sending armed teams to Apex."

"What for?" asked Earl.

"No idea. Probably cleaning up some kind of robot menace, why else would the Admin call bunches of people with guns "Clean-up"?"

"Actually I think I might have been a part of one of those teams. I was sent with a partner to.. do... something, and I was attacked by something but I don't remember what. I do remember though, having to fight a giant tentacle."

"A tentacle." replied Mercury, unimpressed and disbelieving. You stand and think for a moment.

"One of the experiments we ran at Anomalous Materials might have caused slow teleports in local relative space to the experiment chamber. I think we might be receiving aliens, and the Admin is having us try and 'clean [that] up'."

"I have a hard time believing that." says Mercury.

"Well I don't really have to convince you." you retort. "Train, how long until we arrive?"

"Not long, ETA is two minutes to the terminus."

"If you were part of an Anomalous Materials experiment, wouldn't there be other people to ask?" questioned Earl.

"Definitely. I need a phone."

Obvious exits are far NORTH to the electrical Tender, SOUTH to Mercury, Earl or the train console, EAST to the fuse box, WEST to the map.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Go to Mercury, and talk to her. (and see if she's worth making a pass at)

According to your eyes, she's probably an eight-and-a-half out of ten and looks like she works out occasionally. According to your brain she probably has a pretty toned mind if she's a logistics person (who would be good with numbers, maybe even as good as you) and reading 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Say:

You say "Hi."

"So what sort of experiments are run at Anomalous Materials? Or did run?" replies Mercury.