New AA method by Nvidia

Sign in to follow this  

I've REALLY been wanting something like this, though it looks like it's currently only available to developers:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/07/18/nvidias_new_fxaa_antialiasing_technology

There were some comments on hardocp that people have been able to get this to work on the driver level, but only in OpenGL games. I'm really hoping it becomes possible at the driver level for Direct3D ones. AA effectiveness has gotten quite spotty over the past decade with some shaders + deferred rendering, depending on the game, especially ones based on the Unreal 3 engine.

It seems to kinda blur it. That's what it looks like on the trees in the Undetermined Game. Or at least to me.

Hi Friend.

Someone actually made this for DX9/10/11 games... It's still a beta and doesn't work on some games, but it looks great with almost no performance hit when it does work.

Here is the readme:

beta version 8! directx 9, directx 10, directx 11, x86 binaries only! may be incompatible with any other form of antialiasing! can be combined with downsampling!

Install:

If the game uses DirectX 9, put all files from the d3d9 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

If the game uses DirectX 10/11, put all files from the d3d10 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

Uninstall: Remove the files.

Notes:

Do not mix d3d9 and d3d10 the files.

Install the latest DirectX runtime.

A "log.log" file is created to log behaviour/ bugs.

If the "log.log" file is not created then you use the wrong "*.dll" or you put it into the wrong directory.

If the "log.log" is created but the game crashes or FXAA is disabled, look where the "log.log" is created. Usually the shader files go into that particular directory.

Try to put the files into different directories before saying it doesn't work.

In some games (e.g. Portal 1 or Halo 1) refuse to accept the alpha channel. A general workaround (lower quality) for those is to add the following line at the beginning of shader.fx :

#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1

There is a way to experiment with sharpening. I added an example. To activate additional sharpening filter change edit the line "//Replace this line with #include "Sharpen.h" to add a sharpening pass" in shader.fx.

Note that right now sharpening is only an example that it can be done. I more-or-less copypasted a random sharpen filter to show how my mod can be modded.

Keys:

Insert : Enable/Disable FXAA

Del : Screenshot

List of games that it is known to work on:

• Assassin's Creed 1
  • Arcania
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Bad Company 2 (as of beta 5)
  • Call of Pripyat
  • CoD engine games (as of beta 4)
  • Darksiders
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space 2 (may not work with beta 5)
  • Deus Ex (with the fan-made DX9 or DX10 renderer)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (in DX11 mode only)
  • Dirt 2 & 3
  • Dosbox (lol)
  • Far Cry 2
  • GTA 4
  • Halo 1 (add "#define FXAA_GREEN_AS_LUMA 1" to Fxaa3_11.h)
  • Killing Floor
  • Mafia 2
  • Mass Effect 1 & 2
  • Medal of Honor (2010) (may have some random light flickers)
  • Mount & Blade
  • Oblivion
  • Sacred 2
  • Sid Meier's Civilization V
  • Street Fighter IV
  • TFU 2
  • Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (even works great with the built-in AA running)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
  • Torchlight
  • Trine
  • Most UE 3 games
  • Mirror's Edge
  • VLC media player (lol)

It'll work with more, but to find out for sure, just try it yourself... Can't hurt.

Programs it definitely doesn't work with:

• Crysis 1 & 2 (crashes, as of beta 5)
  • D3DOverrider)

Made by "some dude", not me.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

You beat me to it, I was going to announce someone made the hack for it. This is awesome. Here's the thread with an updated binary on it:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348097

Oh, you mean Beta 9... That didn't work on most of the games that 8 works on, (my own personal testing confirmed it) that's why I didn't put that one up instead.

Doesn't drop it even 1 FPS when I use it on any game, and that's is on a Mobility 5470... Pretty impressive IMO. Even overlaps existing FXAA in DXHR and I think DNF, making it even stronger. (have to test DNF again to confirm)

I've only tried it on a few games so far, but it's been successful. Pretty good alternative for games that absolutely refuse to support AA or else where Supersampling is too punitive on the system. Also maybe there's a difference between Nvidia and ATI compatibility.

Also maybe there's a difference between Nvidia and ATI compatibility.

That could be it... Maybe Beta 8 just works better on AMD/ATI cards.

There is a difference in those comparison screenshot, but I don't really see it all zoomed out.

There is a difference in those comparison screenshot, but I don't really see it all zoomed out.

Try it on your own games to see it's difference. It visually works almost exactly like MSAA only with no performance impact.