Antinuclear Warheads

Sign in to follow this  

Usually when I'm bored, I start brain storming. Most of time its just mindless stuff, but a couple of months ago, I came up with an idea that could change the world. I'm don't mean to sound cocky, but this idea is extremely dangerous. After reading Angels and Demons, I did some antimatter research, so I'm slightly educated on the subject. When I thought about nuclear warheads, I eventually put the two together. What I'm talking about is splitting an atom of antimatter. Now antimatter and matter colliding alone gives of an immense explosion of light, imagine it being split. I had no idea what to do with this knowledge, so I decided to come here, where there aren't too many psychos.

Kirkreng: Now don't you start :)

Firstly: Welcome to the forums!

Now, hold on a second there Ecorp, I'm pretty sure that scientists, philosophers and sci fi fans already thought of that concept, splitting antimatter with matter.

We are only behind in technology. The reality is we can't even get ahold of anti-matter for a second. We don't even know what antimatter really is, A lot of people think anti-matter and matter is really the same and I've heard somewhere that anti matter and matter cannot be split.

I'm not good in physics though, I imagine BTGBullseye may help you.

It would be really good if you could elloborate logically every step of what would happen in your theory.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Anti-matter is matter with a reversed magnetic charge. For example an atom of anti-matter Helium-4 would be composed of 2 negatively charged anti-protons, two neutrally charged anti-neutrons and 2 positively charged anti-electrons or positrons. It's famous for it's destructive power due to the reaction that occurs when anti-matter and matter react. Anti-matter and matter annihilate each other into pure energy making it effectively the most powerful reaction possible (E-MC^2). But other that it's magnetic charge (and thus it's reaction with matter) it's exactly the same as matter. Fusing anti-matter in the same manner as matter would yield the exact same results as fusing regular matter, and in fact the anti-matter products that would be produced would react with the matter surrounding it producing energy from mass in a similar reaction. Anti-matter interacts with anti-matter in the same way matter interacts with matter.

In short, dropping an anti-matter cat on a city would get about the same results as an anti-matter nuclear weapon of the same mass because they both generate energy from the same source, mass.

I could probably explain better if I wrote more, but I'm not one for reading a wall of text myself. :P

I encourage anyone (btgbullseye most likely) to point out mistakes or flaws (non-grammar flaws btg) in my post by the way. I'd like to make sure my knowledge is correct.

EDIT: I noticed your post was talking about splitting anti-matter so I assume you were thinking a fission weapon. The problems would be the same.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Anti-matter is matter with a reversed magnetic charge. For example an atom of anti-matter Helium-4 would be composed of 2 negatively charged anti-protons, two neutrally charged anti-neutrons and 2 positively charged anti-electrons or positrons. It's famous for it's destructive power due to the reaction that occurs when anti-matter and matter react. Anti-matter and matter annihilate each other into pure energy making it effectively the most powerful reaction possible (E-MC^2). But other that it's magnetic charge (and thus it's reaction with matter) it's exactly the same as matter. Fusing anti-matter in the same manner as matter would yield the exact same results as fusing regular matter, and in fact the anti-matter products that would be produced would react with the matter surrounding it producing energy from mass in a similar reaction. Anti-matter interacts with anti-matter in the same way matter interacts with matter.

In short, dropping an anti-matter cat on a city would get about the same results as an anti-matter nuclear weapon of the same mass because they both generate energy from the same source, mass.

I could probably explain better if I wrote more, but I'm not one for reading a wall of text myself. :P

I encourage anyone (btgbullseye most likely) to point out mistakes or flaws (non-grammar flaws btg) in my post by the way. I'd like to make sure my knowledge is correct.

EDIT: I noticed your post was talking about splitting anti-matter so I assume you were thinking a fission weapon. The problems would be the same.

Your assessment is accurate.

The reality is we can't even get ahold of anti-matter for a second.

Actually, we already have the ability to artificially produce anti-matter. I suggest you Google it, and look at the Wiki page, it is actually quite accurate.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Actually, we already have the ability to artificially produce anti-matter. I suggest you Google it, and look at the Wiki page, it is actually quite accurate.

Wow... BTG comes into a thread and completely contradicts someone.

Anyways, there would be no point in making a nuclear weapon out of antimatter. Any piece of antimatter would have the same effect. Also antimatter is randomly here (I think). It was discovered by college students examining matter so I imagine it is here.

Hi Friend.

Just to clear things up, I am pretty sure he talks about a separation of Anti-Matter and Matter. Not Anti-Matter of Anti-Matter.

But just for the record if you collide matter and anti-matter it leads to a total anihilation of both almost instantly, how would you have the time to seperate them again???? It doesn't seem possible.

@Zac No he didn't, I said we can;t get ahold of anti-matter for even a second. I didn't say we can make anti matter and get ahold of it for under a second! :{

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Also antimatter is randomly here (I think). It was discovered by college students examining matter so I imagine it is here.
I'm not really sure what you mean. Anti-matter and matter annihilate each other on contact, so I doubt some college students would randomly find some, especially considering how difficult it wold be to detect. Anti-matter isn't found naturally on earth for similar reasons as to why Darmstadtium-267 isn't found naturally.
Just to clear things up' date=' I am pretty sure he talks about a separation of Anti-Matter and Matter. Not Anti-Matter of Anti-Matter.

But just for the record if you collide matter and anti-matter it leads to a total anihilation of both almost instantly, how would you have the time to seperate them again???? It doesn't seem possible.[/quote']His suggestion was to power a fission bomb with anti-matter.

@Zac No he didn't, I said we can;t get ahold of anti-matter for even a second. I didn't say we can make anti matter and get ahold of it for under a second! :{
Several anti-hydrogen atoms were trapped for over 16 minutes by a Canadian team. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/06/06/science-antimatter-atoms-fujiwara-antihydrogen.html

Good job canadians and technology then, as always I am a bit behind in these things :oops:

One year it's under one second, now it's antihydrogen for 16 minutes... not bad.

Still 16 minutes is not really enough considering you want a warhead.

As to what he meant:

Now antimatter and matter colliding alone gives of an immense explosion of light, imagine it being split.

He specifically says here splitting anti matter from matter, and all I can say is that it's impossible unless you split it right after contact which would probably give a really weird and strong effect.... :/

Now antimatter and matter colliding alone gives of an immense explosion of light, imagine it being split.

He specifically says here splitting anti matter from matter, and all I can say is that it's impossible unless you split it right after contact which would probably give a really weird and strong effect.... :/

Anti-matter and matter don't "fuse" when they annihilate each other so you can't really split something that doesn't exist.

That aside he says quite clearly that he was referring to splitting an anti-matter atom.

What I'm talking about is splitting an atom of antimatter.

where there aren't too many psychos.

Er...yeah, about that......

U MAD, BRO? :P

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Wouldn't the effect be exactly the same then as splitting an atom of matter.... -_____-

Wouldn't the effect be exactly the same then as splitting an atom of matter.... -_____-

Exactly. I happened to mention that in my post you know. :P

I know but just didn't understand the point of the topic then

So the idea would be to split anti-Uranium? Using Anti-Explosives? Inside an anti-bomb, built entirely out of antimatter? (And presumably dropped from an anti-Enola Gay?)

Actually, I think it would take more energy to synthesize that much antimatter than the bomb itself would release. Given that the most we seem able to create right now is antihydrogen, it seems a bit far-fetched.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

i said nothing of anti uranium. Anti hydrogen would work just fine, and yes I'm talking about splitting a single atom of antimatter the same way you would split an atom of uranium. Antimatter can be kept stable. It's hard to do but not impossible. And yes it does take alot of energy to create antimatter, but if something like the Holocaust were to happen again, we would have yet another secret weapon to use.

Huh, you must've translated that wrong. I never said anything about getting ahold of antimatter.

Hi Friend.

Huh, you must've translated that wrong. I never said anything about getting ahold of antimatter.

I was talking about you saying that BTG completely contradicted me and I was in complete shock and had to respond....

:{

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 82 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.