Role-Playing Games

Seeing how the FPS thread is going pretty well I thought I'd cash in on-I mean, discuss RPG stuff with you guys out of interest and care.

Cause I love you guys. <3

So, that being said, RPGs. Favorites? Why do you like them, why DON'T you like them? Discussion.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Can Pokemon games be considered as RPGs? Because I love those ^^

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

non-typical settings

Fallout 2

Does not compute. Fallout 2 was Mad Max: The video game, nuclear apocalypse is just as generic as Tolkien fantasy, if not more so.

---

My favourite RPGs include- Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Human Revolution, Fallout: New Vegas, Oblivion, Daggerfall, Skyrim, Gothic and Neverwinter Nights.

non-typical settings

Fallout 2

Does not compute. Fallout 2 was Mad Max: The video game, nuclear apocalypse is just as generic as Tolkien fantasy, if not more so.

---

My favourite RPGs include- Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Human Revolution, Fallout: New Vegas, Oblivion, Daggerfall, Skyrim, Gothic and Neverwinter Nights.

Well at the time it was very new to me because I wasn't into RPG's and I'm still not really into the genre.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I love all kinds of RPGs, but gameplay like Mass Effect's, where you win mostly by your own skill, is my favorite. I enjoy turn-based, but mostly only when I'm pretty confident I've got the upper hand. (and more often than not using a walkthrough)

With real time gameplay I don't need NUNADAT SHIT. But I still want the RPG experience of leveling up, and progressing, because it feels like I'm actually improving and making things easier for myself rather than slightly putting the ball in my court by sorta kinda upgrading my fuckin' sword stats...or some shit. And even then I can totally get killed by some guy's final attack and there's nothing I can do because it's 'his turn' and when it's his turn I can't fuckin move!!

But by far my absolute favorite aspect of roleplaying games is choosing your own advernture, or at least making your own character. It really goes that extra mile to make you feel like YOU'RE there, YOU'RE making these things happen. You're not just controlling a guy doing these things, you ARE the guy. Which is why I love Mass Effect so much and it's probably my favorite game series. I really really like that aspect of roleplaying, ever since I first got into it with KOTOR.

And I get AlyxxSiN's complaint about how a lot of RPGs are just generic turn based fantasy games, and to a degree I agree. It also gives me troubling thoughts of the countless MMORPGs (paying or otherwise) which are basically the exact same game set in the exact same areas. You may as well call them 'Generic Fantasy Game #33421', 'Generic Fantasy Game #who gives a fuck I lost count'. It's so overused it's made the whole thing seem bland and uninteresting. And that's sad! Because there are some good original RPGs set in fantasy settings. Just look at the Ultima series way back when. Or by today's standards, Dragon Age. At least the first one.

But in the end, one thing is clear, when it comes to RPGs. I am a huge Bioware fanboy.

It's nice to have a developer that cares about their storytelling and writing like Bioware does, even way back in the Baldur's Gate days of Bioware one of my favourite things about the game was the inter-party dialogue and the awesome character creation (how you could be chaotic evil, neutral evil, true neutral etc.)

Mass Effect is one of the only games that does "cinematic" right, in other games it's clear the developers have no idea how to use cutscenes and camera angles.

Hey, what's wrong with fantasy setting? I like it. In fact, you allways have Low and High Fantasy. Gothic, the Witcher are Low Fantasy and all TES games would be High Fantasy, wouldn't it?

My fav RPG's? Here:

Gothic and Gothic 2 Night Of The Raven -> The best game of my childhood

TES 3 Morrowind -> Old, but still great

Kotor 1 and 2 -> If you haven't play it, do it now, and Jade Empire which is very, very similiar.

Ummm... Hmm... What else? Mass Effect 2 is agreat game too...

Fallout 1 and 2

Planescape: Torment, it's more like book with perfect plot than a game.

Deus Ex --> not exacly true RPG but it's still got elements of it.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I was just about to do a thread about this :D

Anyho, my favorite RPGs are:

1. Fallout 3 (skyrim is actually better as a game, but fallout 3 was the first RPG game I really got into. I think I have about 500 hours of gameplay. It actually broke my ps3).

2. Skyrim.

3. Mass effect 2

I want to get into more RPG games, so I guess Ill be checking this thread out for other games.

"Life sucks sober!"

Fallout 3 (skyrim is actually better as a game, but fallout 3 was the first RPG game I really got into.

Have you tried New Vegas yet? It's certainly the better Fallout game, seeing as skills outside of "guns" are actually useful. And shooting without VATS is viable.

Story's also way better as well.

Fallout 3 (skyrim is actually better as a game, but fallout 3 was the first RPG game I really got into.

Have you tried New Vegas yet? It's certainly the better Fallout game, seeing as skills outside of "guns" are actually useful. And shooting without VATS is viable.

Story's also way better as well.

Seeing as fallout 3 was so good, I shat my pants when new vegas was announced, got it the first day (Got my money on the other side of town and then got downtown in 4 minutes, usually takes 15. Never biked so fast in my life) Got my new vegas, got home, played it, sucked. I liked it at first, but it got worse as it progressed. It just felt, unfinished...

"Life sucks sober!"

All the well known ones are completely overrated even if I do enjoy...well...all of them. Spoony can rant all he wants but I can still find enjoyment in them.

Got my new vegas, got home, played it, sucked. I liked it at first, but it got worse as it progressed. It just felt, unfinished...

I had the total opposite reaction, I wasn't hyped for it at all because FO3 was so bad compared to Oblivion. I bought it about a year later on Steam sale for $10 and was amazed by how good it was, being the charismatic persuasive guy actually works along with every other skill you leveled up, you could actually roleplay the game. Fallout 3 only had two useful skills, lockpicking and guns.

Fallout: NV is one of my favourite games of the last decade, I've played through it 5 times compared to the 1 time I played through it on Fallout 3. The only thing FO3 did better IMO was the DLC, although New Vegas had the best DLC overall (Old World Blues), FO3 had better overall DLC quality.

All the well known ones are completely overrated even if I do enjoy...well...all of them. Spoony can rant all he wants but I can still find enjoyment in them.

I've enjoyed the SNES ones but 7,8 and beyond were just really bad in my opinion. I didn't enjoy 7 and seeing as that's the best one they've made there's no chance I'll like the others.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned any of the Final Fantasy games before, seeing as the franchise was very dominant in the genre during the 90's and early 2000's. Personally I prefer western RPG's to Japanese ones.

JRPGs are basically their own genre of game

My favorites are:

western - Morrowind

japanese - Chronotrigger

However, I do love the Final Fantasy series as well (5 being my favorite, followed by 7, 10, 8 and then 1).

The only thing FO3 did better IMO was the DLC, although New Vegas had the best DLC overall (Old World Blues)

I also liked the Lonesome Road, you just cant get over how badass Ulysses is, and the endings of that DLC are the most interactive since you actually can check the results of your actions.

Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts II are some of my favorite RPGs.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"