Newegg, what the hell?

Sign in to follow this  

I wanted to replace my computer parts, because they were getting fairly old, going on seven, eight years. So, I went to Newegg and found that they had this nice little combo deal, copied directly from my invoice:

Motherboard

GIGABYTE|GA-880GM-USB3L AM3+

CPU

AMD|4-CORE FX-4100 3.6G 8M

and some other unnecessary stuff I don't need to post.

When I got it, I set all of it up, read the manual, etc. and for some reason, it didn't post anything on my monitor. I tried to do everything, googled lots of stuff, and I thought it was either my PSU, CPU, or motherboard. Since I didn't have the parts to test everything out (my old motherboard had all incompatible parts), I went to my friend's house a week after I received the parts. After some testing, it revealed that everything worked except for the CPU, which I thought was DOA. So I talked to Newegg's customer support, and I then sent the package back for a replacement. Lo and behold, about a week and a half later, it still didn't work.

Perplexed, I immediately went to the Newegg listing of these items, and a customer review told me exactly what I needed to know: I had to update my BIOS. I went to my friend's house a week later. It worked. Took me about 3/4 of a month of waiting and troubleshooting. I have one final thing to say to you Newegg: What the hell?

Perhaps they were unaware that the motherboard was being shipped with an outdated BIOS version?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

It could have been an honest mistake, but really, they should test these things before they send 'em out. This probably is one of the only times it happened... and I was going crazy.

It isn't Newegg that is at fault. The problem is with the manufacturer, and AMD. If you want it to work the first time without needing a BIOS update, go for Intel. (they have significantly fewer problems, and the performance/price ratio is better)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It isn't Newegg that is at fault. The problem is with the manufacturer, and AMD. If you want it to work the first time without needing a BIOS update, go for Intel. (they have significantly fewer problems, and the performance/price ratio is better)

Okay, no. The reason I bought this was because it was a package deal. It was $300 instead of $375. By saying it's a package deal, you insinuate that you guarantee that "THIS THING HERE IS COMPATIBLE WITH THIS THING HERE." Technically, I don't think compatible is the right word, but whatever. When they do that, you expect the retailer to be correct in that assumption. It is not the manufacturer's fault, simply because they weren't the ones selling it. Responsibility goes to whoever you make the deal with, because the person who makes the deal claims this does this.

Saying that I should have bought Intel does not actually relate to anything, because I'd rather use the CPU I got in the package deal than waste money buying another one. If that were so, what was the point in getting the package deal?

Those package deals are manufacturer based, not Newegg based.

Gigabyte made the motherboard and AMD made the CPU. Which one of them made the package deal? Also, how do you know manufacturers make the combo deals?

I think the dealers are who make the package deals, not the manufacturers... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Gigabyte made the package deal if that's what was in the package.

Most dealers do have deals, but for Newegg those are only the Eggbuster/daily deals, not the packages.

Gigabyte made the motherboard I had where the heatsink fell off on me several months back and caused me no shortage of problems until I figured out what happened. This is just anecdotal evidence of course, but I haven't had any problems since I switched to an Asus board.