Your Favourite Games

And Half-Life is a modern military shooter? Is that even a genre? XD

It is actually a genre (well, more of a subgenre of FPS) its the fps games set in modern day. half life was in the modern day back then I think, so I guess it is.

But lets just say that they are all FPS and call it a day.

I have an urge to disagree, if I had to describe Half-Life, Id say it was a sci-fi based FPS/Platformer mix with horror elements, besides, Gordon is too cool for the military 8-)

The military is so jealous that they're trying to kill him to eradicate the competition.

Excuse me but are Halo and Half-Life in different categories?

Halo is closer to a traditional FPS while Half-Life is closer to a 3d action platformer that happens to have guns

There really isn't much distinction between the two, but I would still put them in different categories.

Halo is closer to a traditional FPS while Half-Life is closer to a 3d action platformer that happens to have guns

tumblr_mczktbT57M1rwt0uq.gif

No. They're both "traditional FPS's", Halo is just a run-and-gun type of shooter. Half Life is a bit more of a narrative/storytelling shooter, and has more horror elements than Halo.

I understand that they're both FPS games, but I would say that Half-Life has more suspense/horror elements than Halo (not to say that it's entirely suspenseful or scary, but the elements are there) while Halo is more of a Doom-like.

Regardless of their genre, they're both still on my list of favorite games.

I understand that they're both FPS games, but I would say that Half-Life has more suspense/horror elements than Halo (not to say that it's entirely suspenseful or scary, but the elements are there) while Halo is more of a Doom-like.

And regardless, they're both first person shooters. They are both in the same genre. And Half-Life is VERY Doom-like to me actually since the plot is nearly identical except HL has aliens instead of demons. Halo on the other hand to me feels more like a futuristic version of Call of Duty, or a logical evolution of Bungie's previous Marathon games. Don't really see how you can compare it to Doom other than Master Chief looking a lot like the Doom Guy. Regardless, they might be different in tone, but that doesn't make them separate genres.

So that was why I reacted to the post, he put two FPS's on there even if he said one favourite per genre. I don't see two games that both revolve around basically shooting shit in a first person view to be different enough to be separate genres. That's just my opinion. Both Halo and Half-Life has horror elements anyway so they still would be the same genre if you went by that logic.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Mass effect 2 is also one of my favorites. I havent gotten into mass effect 1 yet so I cant say what I think of it. Mass effect 3 is pretty good aswell, but not AS good as the second.

"Life sucks sober!"

You'll have to forgive me, but some of the games on my list are DOS only, and sometimes even total flops... Also, this is a cross-platform list.

In no particular order...

Elfland

Great Naval Battles

U.S.S. Ticonderoga

The Half-Life Series

Mass Effect 1 (the best of the three)

Need For Speed Underground

Need For Speed Most Wanted

Age Of Empires 1 & 2

Civilization 4

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War 1 & 2

Borderlands 1 & 2

Deus Ex & Invisible War & Human Revolution

Doom 3 (the original only)

Tribes 2

Portal 1 & 2

Bastion

Crysis

Fallout New Vegas

The Elder Scrolls 3 & 5 (Morrowind & Skyrim)(can't wait till they come out with one based in Elsweyr)

Torchlight 1 & 2

Space Pirates & Zombies

H.A.W.X. (with the 1.02 patch, but only after modding it to be more accurate to existing aircraft)

Command & Conquer Series (excluding C&C4)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Super Mario Bros. 3

Legend Of The Dragoon

Battle Tanx

Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 & 3

Earthbound

Super Mario World

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles In Time

Mortal Combat Series

Street Fighter Series

Tetris

Silpheed (the first one, for DOS)

The Gameboy/Color/Advance Pokemon Series

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Starcraft 1 & 2

Warcraft 2 & 3

World Of Warcraft (vanilla or vanilla + Burning Crusade)

Tribes Ascend

Earthsiege 1 & 2

Duck Hunt (for the NES)

The Battlefield Series

The Worms Series (up to, but not including any of the 3d games)

Quake 2

Brix

Cyberstorm 2

I'm positive I have more to add to the list, but I can't remember them right off hand.

[EDIT] Added Quake 2.

[EDIT2] Added Brix. Added Cyberstorm 2. Added URL code for games that are less well known.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

And regardless, they're both first person shooters. They are both in the same genre. And Half-Life is VERY Doom-like to me actually since the plot is nearly identical except HL has aliens instead of demons. Halo on the other hand to me feels more like a futuristic version of Call of Duty, or a logical evolution of Bungie's previous Marathon games. Don't really see how you can compare it to Doom other than Master Chief looking a lot like the Doom Guy. Regardless, they might be different in tone, but that doesn't make them separate genres.

So that was why I reacted to the post, he put two FPS's on there even if he said one favourite per genre. I don't see two games that both revolve around basically shooting shit in a first person view to be different enough to be separate genres. That's just my opinion. Both Halo and Half-Life has horror elements anyway so they still would be the same genre if you went by that logic.

Goodness! I'll be sure never to fuzz the lines between genres again :o

I agree with your list, except for the Doom 3 thing. I love the BFG edition. And I'm surprised the original Doom is not there.

Well, first off, D3BFG has worse graphics than the original, (except for the widescreen support) more bugs, and bad emulators for the other two games. (besides, you can upgrade the GFX in the original a lot easier)

I don't list the original Doom because I still have yet to play it.

Oh, add in Quake 2 to my list...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

In no particular order:

Halo CE, 2, 3 & 4

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Portal 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3 (even though I hated the ending)

Half life 1 & 2

Minecraft

Saints Row 3

Metal Gear Solid 3

Fable 3

GTA Vice City, 4 & San Andreas

Fallout 1, 2, 3 & New Vegas

Hitman Blood Money

Max Payne 1, 2 & 3

Rainbow Six Vegas & Black Arrow

Dead Space 1 & 2

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Gears of War 3

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

The Darkness 1 & 2

Doom 1,2 & 3

Assassins Creed 1, 2 & 3

Goldeneye

Dishonored

Forza Horizon

Resident Evil 4

ARMA 2

Dragon Age

Borderlands 1 & 2

Ninja Gaiden Black

Alan Wake

Full Spectrum Warrior

Silent Hill 2

Dead Rising 2

Bioshock 1 & 2

Metro 2033

Red Dead Redemption

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Double Agent & Conviction

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Batman Arkham City

The Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim

Medievil 1 & 2

I'm pretty sure thats all of them and thats a lot.

Waiter, there's a terriost in my soup!

Typically, I am moreso a fan of multiplayer FPS' as I enjoy the fact that you have to predict your enemies' patterns and playstyles rather than memorize a few basic AI concepts. Rather than knowing the distance threshold that a headcrab will lunge at you, Outsmarting and outplaying another human being gives a better sense of satisfaction. However, that aside, I still loved the Half-Life series.

Here's a list, starting With non-FPS games and ending with FPS games

The Sly Cooper Franchise

Super Mario Bros.

Pokemon (The only pure RPG I ever touched)

Kingdom Hearts Series (Action RPG's are much better than normal RPG's in my opinion. Plus the game's storyline is awesome)

Rayman (I anticipate getting Origins this Christmas)

Binding of Isaac (Wrath of the Lamb this Christmas)

Star Wars Battlefront (1, not 2; I hated the Jedi feature in 2)

Team Fortress 2

Battlefield 3

Call of Duty (Only the Treyarch installments. I shall never buy InfinityWard's poop)

Killing Floor

The Half-Life Series

The Portal Series

Also, fuck Halo and everything about it. I've always loathed it for it's slow movement, annoying projectile sppeds, and assinine maps that have 20 fucking dead ends. If you have a winding, twisting map with dozens of dead ends, they should at least have significant purpose. In Half-Life, if you hit a dead end, it's either not too far off the main path, or it compensates you for going the wrong way by giving you ammo or health. In Halo campaigns, if you go the wrong way, have fun taking five unbearably boring minutes to walk back to where you started. Also, the ammo capacities in Halo are far too small for the number of enemies you have to face. You down 5 enemies and all the sudden you're out of ammo and there's no means of refilling it. So now you have to resort to these alien laser beam weapons that have retardedly slow projectile speeds. THEY'RE WEAPONS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! THEY SHOuLD SHOOT FAST! The only rewarding thing about Halo games is that since Microsoft owns them, you git Shitloads of gamer points for fompleting campaigns and missions. But that's hardly worth putting up with it's retardation for 5 hours...

[/rant]

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Zelda Ocarina of Time - Best Zelda game of all time.

Gunstar Heroes - KABOOM! Explosions everywhere. Fun game for the Sega Genesis.

Red Dead Redemption - Best Singleplayer experience I've had on the xbox 360.

Warcraft 3 (RoC & TFT) - Spent a good part of my life playing this on the PC.

Batman Arkham Assylum - Awesome game, one of my favorite games for the xbox.

Batman Arkham City - Great Sequel.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin - Favorite DS game. Good turnbase game.

Left for Dead 2 - Favorite Zombie game

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie - Great platformer, fun game for the N64. Too bad Nuts & Bolts was a piece of crap.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Stalker and Half Life. I've stopped caring about games in general although I do enjoy the occasional Paradox Grand Strategy game to waste some time.