Top 10 Games of 2012

Sign in to follow this  

I'm just gonna write off games I played this year that came out this year as I didn't play too many recent games.

1. Mass Effect 3

Despite all the disappointments it had, I still love this game to death for being - for the most part - respectful to the great sci fi series.

2. Assassin's Creed III

Played a little bit at my cousin's house and in the effort to add games to this list, I liked what I played.

3. The Walking Dead

Really really love this series and all it entails. The decisions don't change where the story goes completely, but the differences DO matter in interactions and how people act. Also the fact that the kids ACT like kids instead of weirdo people. (ME3) Best part though is the twists it takes and just how much it can make you care about the characters. This is my GOTY, though probably only because I've only played about two games of 2012 in full so...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I did buy Darkness II, but I was disappointed that the PC port wasn't fully optimized.

A friend gifted me Spec Ops: The Line and now it has shimmied its way onto my list.

Goddamn that game has one motherfucker of a storyline.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

My list has been revised.

You should probly add in some of the negatives concerning Syndicate... Like their version of bloom reflecting off of non-shiny concrete turning the entire screen white...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I haven't played that many games of 2012 and some of them I don't really want to include in the top list... but to name a few:

1. The Walking Dead

I'm a story whore and this game gave me exactly what I wanted. Storyline, characters and atmosphere were all top notch. Rarely I felt so engaged in a game.

2. Black Mesa Source

It may be "just a mod" but to hell with that. One of the best shooters I have played in long years. Half Life ages like wine.

3. Mass Effect 3

Even though the ending almost killed the entire franchise for me (it was that bad. Not the worst ending I have seen, but it had the worst comparision between the ending and the rest of the game), it was an awesome trip. Playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 just before the release of Mass Effect 3... the non-stop marathon was an emotional kickass party I will probably not forget for a long time.

4. Alan Wake.

This game was just so much fun. Storyline was a little bit too much strange, but it had great atmosphere, enjoyable combat a great characters. Also, the battle at the Rock stage of the viking farmers won the game for me. I am also a fan of Stephen King... and this felt like being in one of his books.

5. Faster than Light

I always wanted to say "Shields are at maximum", "Direct power to the engines" and "Target their laser battery!" This game fulfilled my dream of being a spaceship captain.

6. Diablo III

Some people love it. Some people hate it. A lot of people like to argue about it on the internet. I just enjoy it. I wanted nothing more than to walk around with my character, murder stuff and collect a lot of sweet loot. And that's exactly what I got.

7. Assassin's Creed 3

Connor was boring and forgetable, ending was *rolls eyes* and the assassin stealth elements were mostly replaced by one man army style. But I still had great time playing it. It's still Assassin's Creed, franchise I became fond of, the setting is in my favourite colonial period, which I see rarely in action games and the naval combat was just a blast.

Overall, it wasn't a bad year. But I expect this one to be even better.

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

I just now got around to playing The Walking Dead. I'm not usually a fan of point-and-click games because the gameplay is just, well... pointing and clicking. But I ran out of episodes of "The Walking Dead" on Netflix, and this fills that void nicely. The story (what little of it I've played so far) is intriguing. Also, I didn't know "The Walking Dead" was a comic book, the first I'd heard of it was the show. It's nice to see the game stick to it's roots, graphically. I'd almost say it's somewhere between a videogame and an interactive comic book. Also it's nice to see a zombie game that's not mindlessly blasting away the undead. Don't get me wrong, I love mindless-zombie-gore too, but it's also cool to see a change of pace.

One valid complaint I do have are framerate issues. I've only played through the early, early part of Episode 1 so maybe these issues were resolved later, but during one cutscene it dropped to like, 0-3 FPS. Yes, the lowest was 0 FPS, as in it froze. I had to turn off shadows to get it to work again. Allegedly, this is because the game hates AMD cards. But turning off shadows doesn't seem to impact the feel of the game at all, and frankly if you play this game for the graphics, you're doing it wrong.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.