The End of Online Anonymity

Sign in to follow this  

Anyone else remember the age of don't tell anyone any sort of personal info about yourself on the internet? Where the hell has that gone? Today we give out at least an email address as a requirment to sign-up for almost anything. Social sites like Facebook, Google +, and the Google owned Youtube, that millions of people use, are pushing hard for people to step away from the online pseudonyms that we've all been living behind and use our real identities. We're all being tracked to a degree as a basic necessity of using the internet (We all have an IP address) but this is a step up. Not to sound tinfoil, but eventually, the governments of the world could get tired of the internet Wild West and start cracking down. Hell, I wouldn't put it past organizations like the people behind SOPA to push for stricter identity verification regulation on the internet as a matter of preventing piracy ("you wouldn't steal that song/game/movie if people knew it was REALLY you and not bob438 would you?")

What do you guys think? How much longer are we going to be Max Bun and Anon instead of Bill and Steve? What's that going to mean?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not give every government agency that asks for it all of my personal financial information... (which is really what can happen under this particular law)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

One of the consequences of having a government that can take care of every aspect of your life is having a government that sticks its nose into every aspect of your life.

In other words, you get what you vote for. You make government into Mommy, then Mommy is going to be looking through your room to make sure you are "being good." Mommy doesn't trust Baby, Baby doesn't know what's good for him. and Mommy is a control freak.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Mommy's also scared sh*tless of Baby as she suspects he wants to cut her head off one night, to claim against her life insurance policy...

Regards

Mommy's also scared sh*tless of Baby as she suspects he wants to cut her head off one night, to claim against her life insurance policy...

I know I do... At least with that particular "mommy".

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Possibility of staying anonymus is one of basic requirements of freedom of speech, that is reason for certain goverments trying to remove that.

quote from movie "singing revolution" (documentary about Estonia during late 80-s, how singing played crucial role of regaining independece for us, i reccommend to watch it): "..when you give free speech to people, things get out of hand"

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.