Musicians? Post about your music/instruments here!

Sign in to follow this  

I used to play tuba in my music course when I was in high school. It was (sort of) fun as I was solo, unlike other instruments.

I got a new guitar today. A nice 7 string.

Bc0s0EbCEAAAvmb.jpg:large

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

It's like looking at a guy with six fingers on his hand. It just looks... odd. I don't play guitar, so I have no understanding why more than 6 strings would be needed. Different chord formats? More pitch range? :?

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

It's like looking at a guy with six fingers on his hand. It just looks... odd. I don't play guitar, so I have no understanding why more than 6 strings would be needed. Different chord formats? More pitch range? :?

It allows you more range really. A seven string guitar adds a low B string, thus allowing for lower notes to be played, and lower, deeper sounding chords. A standard six string is tuned E,A,D,G,B,E, with a seven string making it B,E,A,D,G,B,E. I plan on getting an eight string soon (tuned F#,B,E,A,D,G,B,E).

Here are some examples as to how this extended range can be used (bearing in mind these songs are lower than the standard tuning of seven and eight string guitars):

Seven strings

get0cXOsSXg

Eight strings

5z1uBbvsq_U

And then you can get more extended range guitars (these are usually custom made, however twelve string guitars are quite common. Each string is tuned an octave above I believe, so it's tuning would be E,E,A,A,D,D,G,G,B,B,E,E. The idea is that you can rest one finger on two strings.)

Nine strings

4js6zDdg7FA

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."