Musicians? Post about your music/instruments here!

Sign in to follow this  

Talk about your favorite instruments/musical talent!

I used to play harmonica for a couple years, and I've been learning bass for the past few months. Anyone else play any instruments?

100 percent average every time, all the time.

I've played the alto Saxophone for like... 6 years. It's pretty good.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I own an MXL 990 condenser microphone, along with a Behringer Xenyx 1204xUSB mixer/audio interface. I use it for singing and voice acting. Though i think i need a few more things before i'm ready to record anything good. like i still can't audio engineer and i still don't understand my equipment well enough to use it properly for professional work. Also, i think i got the wrong kind of microphone. my voice comes out flat and without any substance through the 990. It pretty much sounds like i'm not singing, but talking with prolonged syllables. It's annoying.

I got to grade 7 on piano. That was in 2007. Then my piano playing just sort of petered out and I don't play anymore. I'd like to get back in to it, but I just don't have the inspiration to play and have been stuck for finding it. I'm now VERY rusty.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I played violin for a year, trumpet for two and baritone for half a school year. Tbh, I despise brass instruments. The only reason why I learned to play was because taking a full year of music was a requirement in our school district. I prefer singing above all else. I'm planning on learning how to play the piano over the summer.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Yeah, I tried playing trombone for half a semester in middle school, absolutely hated it (the fact that it was already 20 years old and no amount of slide oil could get it over all the dents probably didn't help either).

I've played the alto Saxophone for like... 6 years. It's pretty good.

Wooo. Me too, except mine's a piece of shit. I also played Bari Sax one year as my band needed one, so that was fun too.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

I've tried trombone and guitar... I have the basics, but that's it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I got to grade 7 on piano. That was in ****. Then my piano playing just sort of petered out and I don't play anymore. I'd like to get back in to it, but I just don't have the inspiration to play and have been stuck for finding it. I'm now VERY rusty.

That is the story of my [musical] life...

Regards

I have played the trumpet for 10 years. I have never put a lot of time into practicing scales (Arban's), but I always took the help of a teacher for auditions. Marching band was a lot of fun, and it solidified my friendships with my closest buddies.

I have been playing the drums for a short while now, and its going a lot better than my previous attempt to learn guitar. I've got a Pearl target kit, with the crash, and a Zildjian A-series Quick beat Hi-hat.

I played French Horn and Mellophone (the marching version) from 4th through 12th grade, in marching and stage band.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I'm in the market for a short scale bass, preferably semi hollow bodied in the $200-$500 range, any recommendations from any bassists here?

Let's see. Between me and my girlfriend, we own three guitars (a random acoustic, a Fender Telecaster and a fretless acoustic guitar that I made myself), two digital pianos which we mainly use for recording sheet music, one 'wooden' piano (and another that is oversees and will probably never get here), a You Can Call Me Al kind of flute that I never quite got the hang of and a harmonica that gets me really, *really* high on oxygen in a relatively short time. I also played a bit of sax, but I never owned one. The same goes for the violin, I'd like to own both at some point in my life. I'm fairly good with sequencing software, have quite a bit of experience with Sonar Cakewalk, but one of these days I want to dedicate a Mac or something else to Ableton Live and do some real editing/sequencing.

The fretless guitar was a project of mine to experiment with 'free range' or in a sense 'analogue' instruments (violins, trombones + some other instruments you probably haven't heard of) and taught me much about which materials to use in a guitar. I could easily talk 15.000 words about how that went, so I'll refrain from expanding too much on the subject other than that it was a really awesome device to make and that I'll probably make a fretless electric bass at some point, completely from scratch.

Yeah that's about it.

The current instruments I have:

A beautiful Fender Precision Bass with a sort of fire-pattern scratch plate and plain wood body and neck. The only other person I have seen with this design is the current bassist for Smashing Pumpkins.

A Tanglewood acoustic guitar.

A cheap-ass six string electric guitar that I bought off a friend for £20.

Usually use Zakk Wylde signature string set (really really thick strings, 10(High E)-13(B)-17(G)-36(D)-52(A)-60(Low E) so good for lower tunings as well as standard tuning. My guitar is currently tuned in an Eight String standard tuning F#BEADG and it sounds quite good.)

Other gear:

Laney Richter 65 watt Bass amp, details: CD and Line in inputs, compressor, DI socket, speaker socket, headphone socket, 12" Custom Driver and HF Horn, Bass, Swept Mid and Treble equ's, normal and high inputs, internal limiter, yada yada.

Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal.

Danelectro FAB D-5 Chorus Pedal.

Future gear: An Ibanez GRG170DX (Candy Apple colour) which costs £199 from one of my local music shops, £179 on amazon. Planing to buy in a few days.

Schecter Omen 8 (Eight String Guitar).

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Schecter Omen 8 (Eight String Guitar).

Oooh, I played one in a store. They are pretty badass! :mrgreen:

I played French Horn and Mellophone (the marching version) from 4th through 12th grade, in marching and stage band.

Respect. We had a really weak horn player in band last year, so I played all the cues :)

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

I played piano for a couple years when I was a kid, I can't sight read but if I focus for long enough I can play some simple things.

I played cello in grade school, I loved it and it is my favorite instrument I've ever had. Unfortunately, when I switched schools cello was no longer an option, I had to switch to french horn. I always tell myself that when I'm rich and successful I'd buy myself a cello and learn how to play again.

About a year ago I got myself a guitar, a fender acoustic. I'm pretty horrible at it, but it's fun to mess around with.

Starting last month, I've been teaching myself to play the harmonica. I get so out of breath playing it though, I need to learn better techniques.