USA Internet Speeds and Costs

Sign in to follow this  

Compare the speed too... It seems the USA is the only country content to pay a lot more for almost ancient tech. (DSL is still the most popular way to access the internet)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

If I'm not mistaken I believe this is because of the agreement between American internet providers (such as comcast) to keep prices high and resembles heavily of a trust from the 19th century

100% is going to be a cut-rate clown

Gee, I was shocked when I learned about internet cost and speed in USA. I though "OMG it slows down the whole country in economic developement!" or something similar :roll: Standards working in USA were normal in Poland... about 10 years ago...

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Yup, and now they're working on making it to where companies have to pay extra, just to get fed to consumers at full speed.

That damn net neutrality thing, dont mention it to me. I think that be the death of a lot of things.

For the costs though: In some parts of Canada the situation isnt much better and good parts of my province (one of the smallest ones, not like Quebec or anything) dont even got high-speed access.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Sorry for writing this here, but when I hear and read what's going on in USA lately, I'm kind of happy I pulled Ross out, to Europe (which is a bit more normal, at least for now) ;p

Sorry for writing this here, but when I hear and read what's going on in USA lately, I'm kind of happy I pulled Ross out, to Europe (which is a bit more normal, at least for now) ;p

*cough*Ukraine*cough*

*cough*Ukraine*cough*

:roll: You feel better with your brillaint remark?

Oh, and practically, Ukraine is not exactly Europe... unfortunately or fortunately has little to do with European way of life. Even before the Russia took away a part of it.

*cough*Ukraine*cough*

:roll: You feel better with your brillaint remark?

Oh, and practically, Ukraine is not exactly Europe... unfortunately or fortunately has little to do with European way of life. Even before the Russia took away a part of it.

Was just a joke, didn't mean any offense, even if I came across as a smartass.

If the U.S. is like an underfed teenager at a dinner party compared to Europe, then New Zealand is a starving homeless child eating from the dumpster bins outside.

Wait, let me say that another way...

If the U.S. is like a handicapped runner in the internet race compared to Europe, then New Zealand is a half-blind snail crawling over its own shattered shell pieces.

Okay so that's quite harsh, but our connection is seriously considered one of the poorest in the world. I'm sharing a monthly data cap that's recently gone over, again, and is costing us an extra $120 and growing. Stephen Fry once said that "New Zealand has probably the worst broadband I've ever encountered. Turns itself off, slows to a crawl. Pathetic,". For the last couple weeks I've been limiting my access to just forum reading, if anything. It has changed my entire mindset on internet usage. I start getting paranoid that people on the network aren't restricting their video watching to 360p resolution or lower.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Was just a joke, didn't mean any offense, even if I came across as a smartass.

Well, okayyy... I get pretty irritated when someone mentions Russia vs Ukraine. I feel like it's totally unrelated, it's their private, historical conflict and Poland is going its own way. Sometimes crazy, sometimes sane way :lol:

I live in the south of England. I do get decent Internet speeds (for reference, my usual ping when I'm playing TF2 is ~50), but because I'm not in a town, I can't get fibre optic.

I live in the south of England. I do get decent Internet speeds (for reference, my usual ping when I'm playing TF2 is ~50), but because I'm not in a town, I can't get fibre optic.

I live in a city, a rather well populated one actually, and I still have no access to affordable fibre optic internet.

Hell, I don't even think fibre optic is available in my city at all.

the name's riley

There is every likelihood that the cable companies laid out enough fiber that you could get it, but aren't using it just to keep the prices up, and QoS down.

I like, and very accurate.

[EDIT] Immediately after this post was made, I lost connection to the internet for 5 minutes...

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.