Modern wheat as a source of diabetes AND much more

Sign in to follow this  

You probably heard about it here and there. Modern kinds of wheat are not what our bodies are made for.

I guess in USA is even bigger problem than in Europe (?) not sure

For example, even if you're nor super-visibly allergic to gluten, it can still trigger long-lasting inflammation reactions in your body, that you may not percieve as allergy.

More here: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/should-you-worry-about-wheat

And here: http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/13/three-hidden-ways-wheat-makes-you-fat/

You can easily find much more information on the internet.

Personally, I eat rye bread only, with sourdough but I like to have a pizza or pasta every once in a while... I wonder why? ;p

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

GMO (genetically modified wheat) is the root cause... Nowadays you can't even get non-GMO wheat or wheat products in stores. (apart from expensive health food stores)

Don't get me wrong, there are some genetically modified strands that aren't harmful at all, but the ones you can get in stores are not those strands.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

GMO (genetically modified wheat) is the root cause... Nowadays you can't even get non-GMO wheat or wheat products in stores. (apart from expensive health food stores)

Don't get me wrong, there are some genetically modified strands that aren't harmful at all, but the ones you can get in stores are not those strands.

You are talking about USA here, in Europe, there are huge restrictions on GMO, it's TOTALLY banned in France (in Poland certain grains that were supposed to be allowed, are banned but it's not that clear as in France :/ )

Many food producers in Poland place information "No GMO" or "GMO FREE" on their products because they want to, as it guarantees better sales (even for products that wouldn't even contain GMO in the first place ;)

And in all of this, I'm worried about USA citizens, as eating GMO in uncontrolled scale like it's been happening will have inpact not only on people now but also on next generations :/ French research showed things that are so creepy, that I don't even want to qote it here. Here's one article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/gmo-safety-zmgz13amzsto.aspx#axzz37cbbUNLc but it's bad news :/

Monsanto and whoever else helped GMO to spread on the whole USA just let a huge, uncontrolled, genetical experiemnt to happen on hundreds of millions of people, just to get more money and power :( And it won't be anything sudden, changes will be very slow because human body is programmed to work on optimum as long as possible, with fuel that it gets. Of course you can see many minor symptoms before, but many people ignores them. Ah... ok I can go on forever on this....

Fellow Americans, you have a really tough thing to solve here, beause everyone has to eat! 8-)

To be fair, even according to that study, the problems in rats do seem to be caused by the herbicide and not by the GM crop itself.

Of course, as the whole reason for that specific G-Mod (see what I did there? :-) ) was to make the crops resistant to that herbicide so that it could be used at all, it's just as bad from the practical point of view...

As to bread - I use both wheat and rye bread, roughly half and half. In general, I am not avoiding any specific food or follow any particular diet. I think as long as you always try to eat a balanced variety of stuff (meat, fish, dairy, greens, fruit etc) and don't overdo on any particular kind - you should be OK (save for the things you are really allergic to).

Regards

You are talking about USA here, in Europe, there are huge restrictions on GMO, it's TOTALLY banned in France (in Poland certain grains that were supposed to be allowed, are banned but it's not that clear as in France :/ )

Many food producers in Poland place information "No GMO" or "GMO FREE" on their products because they want to, as it guarantees better sales (even for products that wouldn't even contain GMO in the first place ;)

And in all of this, I'm worried about USA citizens, as eating GMO in uncontrolled scale like it's been happening will have inpact not only on people now but also on next generations :/ French research showed things that are so creepy, that I don't even want to qote it here. Here's one article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/gmo-safety-zmgz13amzsto.aspx#axzz37cbbUNLc but it's bad news :/

Monsanto and whoever else helped GMO to spread on the whole USA just let a huge, uncontrolled, genetical experiemnt to happen on hundreds of millions of people, just to get more money and power :( And it won't be anything sudden, changes will be very slow because human body is prograhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug#Criticisms_and_his_view_of_criticsmmed to work on optimum as long as possible, with fuel that it gets. Of course you can see many minor symptoms before, but many people ignores them. Ah... ok I can go on forever on this....

Fellow Americans, you have a really tough thing to solve here, beause everyone has to eat! 8-)

Keep in mind that GMOs have also been credited with saving over a billion lives in the past century from famine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug#Criticisms_and_his_view_of_critics

That, and there has been no scientific evidence to support GMOs causing any sort of negative interaction in humans (at least in any way different than ordinary food).

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/08/can_gmo_corn_cause_allergies_don_t_believe_elle_s_scary_story.html

Also, while gluten allergies do exist, they only occur in a much smaller part of the populace than most people assume.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Keep in mind that GMOs have also been credited with saving over a billion lives in the past century from famine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug#Criticisms_and_his_view_of_critics

That, and there has been no scientific evidence to support GMOs causing any sort of negative interaction in humans (at least in any way different than ordinary food).

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/08/can_gmo_corn_cause_allergies_don_t_believe_elle_s_scary_story.html

Also, while gluten allergies do exist, they only occur in a much smaller part of the populace than most people assume.

Of course there is not confirmation of negative impact on humans, not exactly yet. But can you blindly believe that something that has never ever occured in human evolution and is used for the very first time as a species is abslutely good for you? Radioactive rocks used to be treated as a medicine for multiple deseases and cigarettes used to be good for you and recommended by doctors. No one had proof then as well...

It's all steered by mega corporations and aggressivness of Monsanto trying to enforce GMOs on Europe should be at least an alarm for some people. So what some crops saved some people? Fire saved some people and killed many as well. I think it's a very poor argument to say that some GMO saved people, where a country that doesn't really need it is the biggest enforcer of it.

This is playing with nature and I think corrupded scientists in hands of corporations are the last people we should trust on the GMO subject. Because no one will convince me that it's all just for our good. Because capitalism.

To be fair, even according to that study, the problems in rats do seem to be caused by the herbicide and not by the GM crop itself.
Actually, it showed up in both the Roundup studies and ones WITHOUT it:

http://www.alternet.org/food/major-study-demonstrates-monsanto-gmo-corn-product-can-cause-damage-liver-and-kidneys-and?paging=off&current_page=1

Absolutely true, and steroids have saved a lot of patients when used properly. While it's not 1:1, a decent rule of thumb is if the GMO products are being released in 3rd world countries for free, they're probably saving a ton of lives. If they're released for profit in 1st world countries, it's highly probably they could be harmful.

That, and there has been no scientific evidence to support GMOs causing any sort of negative interaction in humans

Well, they've caused a lot of problems in RATS, namely liver and kidney damage and more frequent appearance of tumors. In addition to being able to read the study yourself, it's been re-released to address criticisms and has survived multiple rounds of scientific peer review:

Same link as above

Actually, it showed up in both the Roundup studies and ones WITHOUT it

That was not clear from the first article. Having looked at the publication itself it does seem that the GM crop is increasing the disease incidence and mortality, especially in females. In certain categories the non-treated GM corn had more effect than the herbicide itself.

However, a good news - the mortality in males fed on the highest proportion of GM feed (33% - bold line) was lower :shock: than for controls (doted line).

http://www.enveurope.com/content/26/1/14/figure/F6

If you are a man and want to live long - eat lots of GM food!

Well, maybe not....

Regards

I dont have much to say about the rest of the issue, but about the gluten intolerance, I don't think its actually much increasing so much as people are becoming more aware of it.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

"If you’re against GMO’s because you think science supports you, then you’re no different than the anti-science people who populate the global warming denier community. In fact, if you think that you have “science” supporting your nonsense beliefs about GMO’s, just understand that you use the same tactics, the same unscientific rubbish that the global warming deniers use. In other words, you use the same tactics as right wingers, which should make you proud."

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/bad-science-checklist-gmo-opponents/

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I recently found this article too:

http://truth-out.org/news/item/24876-monsantos-herbicide-linked-to-fatal-kidney-disease-epidemic-will-ckdu-topple-monsanto

Just going to leave this here too.

And this:http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/07388551.2013.823595

The problem with any topic of controversy is there can be misinformation campaigns that completely obfuscate what the truth is or not. When that happens, I try to look at studies / source that have the most compelling evidence. Posting your source is a good step in that direciton, although it costs $54 to view the paper with only the abstract. I don't know the sample size, what research it was looking at, the reasoning behind their conclusions, etc, so it's hard to take that at face value. This study below, however can be looked at for free, and has passed multiple rounds of scientific peer review:

http://www.enveurope.com/content/26/1/14

The conclusion I would draw based on this is assuming both studies are valid and carried out competently (which I can't tell without seeing the paper), is that some strains of GMO are potentially harmful, others aren't. GMO is a big territory, there's a world of difference between golden rice v. Monsanto corn.

I hate pseudoscience as much as anyone, but there are extremes on both sides. On one side you have groups that think EVERYTHING unnatural is wrong and therefore it should all be stopped, which just comes across as dogmatic to me. On the other side, there are MAJOR corporations with a ton of money that have a strong financial interest in making sure there products are perceived as safe. For me personally, I tend to fall on the side that the extremists may be right about some things, wrong about others, and any studies funded by corporations I am highly suspect of. I think GMO products likely needs much more research than it has been given so far as there is a high profit incentive to declaring them safe. While I doubt it's as black and white, the easiest parallel I can think of is the tobacco industry and its studies. It took a LONG TIME for the public perception of smoking being harmful to your health to change and I think GMO is a much blurrier and more complex issue than that.

Like any science, someone either though malice or incompetence will find a way to do harm with it.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Like any science, someone either though malice or incompetence will find a way to do harm with it.

Hanlon's Razor.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Indeed... You'd be surprised at just how much stuff has some form of GMO wheat flour in it.

Much of the most recent opposition (and the French ban on GMO's) to GMO foods is based on the now-infamous and discredited "Seralini Study."

It turned out to be a very poorly-done study, done by a scientist who was clearly NOT objective, using poor sample size, defective test rats, and overall garbage methodology.

The only folks who still give it credit are the most uninformed of the antis.

Let's play Bingo!

5afd993fd7a36f54d1015572c6596601.jpg

Anti-GM and anti-vaxxers are very similar in their fear (despite great gobs of testing showing the opposite) of putting unknown chemicals in their bodies (despite their bodies naturally being filled with chemicals they can't even name, some of which are toxic.)

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

You obviously ignored several of the sources provided here about GMO. You should read them.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.