What's your favorite quote/poem/lyric?

Hi Everyone!

So. Umm... the questions says it all. What's your favorite quote and/or poem?

Here's mine:

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

In my opinion, this quote really says a lot about what's happening here in this earth lately.

Alrighty then, what's yours?

EDIT: you can also quote a lyric from your favorite songs too.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Welp, now what?

My most favorite quote of all times is by Eli Wiesel from the book Night, written about his time in Auschwitz.

“Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed....Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.” - Eli Wiesel

I do recommend everyone reads that book sometime. It's a hard read especially considering it's a true story, but I feel that's what makes it important.

Other than that, these 2 have been kinda a personal motto of mine ever since seeing them:

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - General George S. Patton

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

That last one has almost been a mantra to me. Whenever I'm going through something hard, I just remember that and keep going. Hasn't failed me yet.

Edit: can we include snippets of lyrics?

Retired Forum Moderator

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it!"

There are a few more, some from Freeman's Mind, some from Civil Protection, some from other locations, but this covers the majority of me.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My most favorite quote of all times is by Eli Wiesel from the book Night, written about his time in Auschwitz.

“Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed....Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.” - Eli Wiesel

Edit: can we include snippets of lyrics?

I've read that book too. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes history, particularly during the WW2 era

Lyrics? Why not? Anyone can post their favorite lyrics too

Welp, now what?

"Come with me, where worries will never bind you. All your grief at last, at last, behind you...come with me, I'll lead you to bliss. And take my love, for love is everlasting."

Context: A tragic short story about an immortal being guided to the afterlife by the spirit of her dead brother. Maybe it's just me but this little snippet makes me choke up.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

"Embrace your dreams, and... whatever happens, protect your honor... as SOLDIER!" - Zack Fair (Crisis Core)

"If you have a dream, don't wait. Act." - Axel (Kingdom Hearts 2)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I just love Sun Tzu, the whole The Art of War is so quotable, even though my memory for quotes is quite awful, I keep reminding myself of one passage quite often:

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

This one just left me with such a strong impression the first time I've read it.

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Proletarians of all countries - Unite!" - Karl Marx

And this one is just a great quote I can recall now

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke" - Van Gogh

Kenpachi from Bleach is absolute badassery.That is all.

"Loyalty to someone is different from depending on them."

"Never admit defeat and ask for a quick death! Die first, then admit defeat! If you are defeated but didn't die, it just means you were lucky! At those times, think only about survival! Survive and think only about killing the one who failed to kill you!"

"Blah blah blah! You're noisy! Just come on and fight already. It's best if all of you come together. If you all surround me and attack at once, maybe one of you will actually wound me."

"You want a reason...for fighting? Why don't you just accept it already, Ichigo?! You seek out fights. You desire power. Isn't that right, Ichigo? Everyone who searches for power, without exception, searches for battle! Do you fight in order to become more powerful? Or do you want more power so you can fight? I can't tell you that. The only thing I know for sure is guys like us were born this way! We were born to fight, Ichigo! Your instincts will keep leading you toward new battles. It's the only way you have. The only way to become stronger. Fight, Ichigo! If you want the power to control your enemy, take that sword in your hand and cut him down! That's your only option! That's the road that continues in front of you and remains behind you, Ichigo!"

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

Another quote I saw the other day which caught me off guard.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." - Paul Brandt

As for lyrics, I'm gonna put em inside spoilers to avoid an obnoxiously long post.

Snippet from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc3zcnrWMQ by VNV Nation

We were once young and blessed with wings

No heights could keep us from their reach

No sacred place we did not soar

Still greater things burned within us

I don't regret the choices that I've made

I know you feel the same

My beloved, do you know

How many times I stared at clouds

Thinking that I saw you there

These are feelings that do not pass so easily

I can't forget what we claimed was ours

Moments lost, though time remains

I am so proud of what we were

No pain remains, no feeling

Eternity awaits

Grant me wings that I might fly

My restless soul is longing

No pain remains, no feeling

Eternity awaits

Retired Forum Moderator

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

-George W. Bush

"We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job."

-George W. Bush

"They misunderestimated me."

-George W. Bush

I love this guy.

"Where to now... and to what end..."

-Vortigaunt

And of course my signature.

ltun92DfnPY

Favorite poem of all time. It's a bit long but it's very powerful and I do suggest everyone listen to it.

Retired Forum Moderator

The worm goes in...

The worm goes out...

In your stomach and out your mouth...

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

And one that Ive been hearing alot during my upbringing.

"They grow up and dont give a shit about how they look." -My grandfather (Sorry about the weird translation, Im not good with swedish to english grammar)

"Life sucks sober!"

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

And one that Ive been hearing alot during my upbringing.

"They grow up and dont give a shit about how they look." -My grandfather (Sorry about the weird translation, Im not good with swedish to english grammar)

"Life sucks sober!"

Two of my favorites:

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their "good" becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.

--Christopher Dawson

People take Machiavelli out of context, or willfully misinterpret him as a rationalization for doing whatever is convenient. When he wrote that the "ends justify the means", he was talking about what it meant to hold an entire nation together, where there are so many conflicting interests that it is definitively impossible to please everyone and never step on a toe. Even then, what Machiavelli was advocating was a search for the pareto-optimal, the "best for everyone" solution to ruling, and that was the end he was saying vindicated any methods for reaching it. He was trying to say, "Don't be intimidated when people grouse at the minor concessions you demand, so long as it secures their important needs." There were enough tyrants in Europe's history that nobody needed instructions on how to do whatever you wanted with power.

Quite often, my greatest contribution to solving the mystery is my refusal to call it a mystery

--Gavin De Becker, The Gift of Fear

Renowned criminologist commenting on the core of his investigative philosophy. That book in the quote is absolutely fascinating, by the way.

I like this saying because its a reminder that every problem has a course of action and that you always have a say in the matter. You have to respect your challenges, but don't enshrine them as unconquerable.

People take Machiavelli out of context, or willfully misinterpret him as a rationalization for doing whatever is convenient. When he wrote that the "ends justify the means", he was talking about what it meant to hold an entire nation together, where there are so many conflicting interests that it is definitively impossible to please everyone and never step on a toe. Even then, what Machiavelli was advocating was a search for the pareto-optimal, the "best for everyone" solution to ruling, and that was the end he was saying vindicated any methods for reaching it. He was trying to say, "Don't be intimidated when people grouse at the minor concessions you demand, so long as it secures their important needs." There were enough tyrants in Europe's history that nobody needed instructions on how to do whatever you wanted with power.

You're the first person besides myself that I've heard of that recognized that. +1 to your awesome stat.

Everyone starts at +500 when they join the site, and it's a logarithmic increase. You ain't in the negatives. ;)

"You tell your boyfriend, if he says he's got beef, that I'm a vegetarian and I ain't fucking scared of him!" - DONTTRUSTME - 30H!3

I like the instrumentals in this song, but absolutely hate the lyrics to it except for this one line. It's so silly.

Retired Forum Moderator

"For an intelligent person, you're incredibly stupid."

- my mate, describing me, in 2008.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR