PLANETSIDE 2 RECRUITMENT VIDEO

Aw, damn, my 32-bit OS fails me yet again.
Yeah sorry man, it USED to support both, though I guess you could argue this is a game that really could use the extra RAM.

I'll join in later once I begrudgingly trade my beloved Win7 in for a copy of Win10. I've got the proc, I've just been too damn lazy to buy/install a new OS. Surprisingly, it's only now starting to become a liability.

Then again, I ran Win2k for ten years...I'm not a fan of upgrading if I don't absolutely have to.

Don't

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yes of course, I just didn't want brand new players to feel like that was mandatory. Maybe forming an official rookie outfit "for those that want extra training" might be a good idea.

I got about 560 hours played (although haven't played in a year) and I strongly suggest you setup an outfit for everybody. I wouldn't make it mandatory but I would very strongly suggest it to everybody. Reason being is you want to coordinate, otherwise people will just get lost and frustrated because they will not really "feel" the connection. Sure you can have the stream open and running at the same time but that's very chaotic, especially since you hear gunfire from the stream that isn't really near you. Reason for the outfit would mainly be coordination. You want to tell all your little minions where to strike next, even just in the most general sense (continent x - strike south or strike base y). Without an outfit everybody will just feel like a random player without a purpose - you'll need to motivate the troops and such to prevent the army from losing cohesion!

Well nice, it looks like someone else already took my name(I don't blame them as it's pretty good) for a character. Has anyone else dealt with this and what did you change your name to?

Use Heli0centrical

0 and O look the same.

6twjHHc.jpg

Is there an easy way to improve the framerate in battles without ruining the look of the game? I'll probably have to fiddle with the config files myself to see if there's anything that could help. Also most in-game options barely change anything, I could post some optimal settings here.

There are just too many variables in system design for a simple guide. If you PM me your system specs, I can give you a likelihood of settings that will maximize your framerate while preserving visual fidelity.

No I already picked the settings, I just wanted something a bit more in-depth, (sorry don't know how to explain it). I know the textures are more intensive, but the game will look like ass if I lower those too, other settings really don't matter so I just lowered them anyway, I always lower settings related to the geometry, it's always stuff you never notice.

Ideally I would benchmark each setting, but I'm feeling kinda lazy so I just went with something a bit quicker. I wanted something more than what the in-game settings offer me, but anything else might be a bit too extreme, so I'll have to just suffer during big battles.

Oh, hey, I was playing with you a bit last night.

I got about 560 hours played (although haven't played in a year) and I strongly suggest you setup an outfit for everybody. I wouldn't make it mandatory but I would very strongly suggest it to everybody. Reason being is you want to coordinate, otherwise people will just get lost and frustrated because they will not really "feel" the connection. Sure you can have the stream open and running at the same time but that's very chaotic, especially since you hear gunfire from the stream that isn't really near you. Reason for the outfit would mainly be coordination. You want to tell all your little minions where to strike next, even just in the most general sense (continent x - strike south or strike base y). Without an outfit everybody will just feel like a random player without a purpose - you'll need to motivate the troops and such to prevent the army from losing cohesion!

YES! LETS DO IT!

I guess, we can setup something like Discord server for this too.

You who distill within you the whole world,

attend to this voice from the realm beyond:

You’re beast, and demon, angel, human being;

whatever you show forth, you are that thing.

I'm mildly surprised Ross likes the NC music over the TR, most of the time I agree with his opinions on music but I really like the TR music.

Also, I'm pretty sure the dev team was primarily NC. Might have had something to do with the bias they get.

A Discord would be cool i'd join

Why are people still saying to make an Outfit? THERE IS ONE ON EACH OF THE US SERVERS ALREADY!!! Accursed Farms (US West server) and Accursed Farms East (US East server) are open for anyone to join!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I just had a thought, what if we also got to play some PlanetSide 1? We could also have way more players in it, if it's not too active, but I think some might be put off by the graphics. I have no idea what the player cap is like though, if it's too small then maybe that would suck.

Afaik, it was something like 133 vs 133 vs 133, so about the amount 1 faction holds in PS2

A Discord would be cool i'd join

That actually gives me an idea. We could setup a Discord server with Ross' permission to mentor anyone interested prior to the even and after, if this becomes a monthly thing.

This game is pretty cool, but I'm kinda dissapointed that even the first game is so MMO-ish like, but so far it looks way cooler than PS2 to me, the fact that it has constant background music is pretty awesome to me, I seriously love the music, the music in PS2 is really meh.

I'll be honest, PS1 is a fucking logistics simulator rather than MMOFPS. I personally dislike that game with passion for trying to pass as FPS with such horrendously bad feeling shooting that I want to stop playing FPSes for awhile after it.

PS2 has way more streamlined experiece than first one and if people can't fiddle with second one, first one is way beyond that some if not majority can deal with.

There's too much fiddling for too little feedback, with going to correct place to sit in correct position in vehicles, fiddling with inventory to put in everything without leaving blank slots (which as far as I read ended up purely in grenade spamming the hallways), selecting correct armor for driving or fighting (which is maybe correct decision, if there were meaningful suit slots outside heavy, MAX and pilot), guns feel terrible in that game and are pretty generic, each gun is everybodies gun and not one really can give you "this is my rifle" feeling. And fuck stamina bars in that game. It's and logistics simulator with fps gameplay elements, which are poorly executed compared to their contemproary FPSes like ET:W, though even that does feel quite dated. It might great from people with affinity to RTSes and grand strategies, but to me, a person of footsoldiering and simple squad leading, it's god damn boring.

P.S. can you thumbnai the image please, it's kinda annoying to scroll left and right due to size of it .

If Ross doesn't set up any official communications players could set up private voicechats using servers like ´s. That way probably a few people can try to take over bases in group and we can have better coordination. If there´s lots of fire going on at a point because of one of these units people watching the stream may feel inclined to go there or follow whatever Ross says if he feels like commanding these groups through the stream or something. I'll be trying to run the game with my E7500 and HD 6750, which can handle games like GTA V and Metro last light in 1280 x 720 minimum settings. I'll mod the config files if needed. lol.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

If Ross doesn't set up any official communications players could set up private voicechats using servers like ´s. That way probably a few people can try to take over bases in group and we can have better coordination. If there´s lots of fire going on at a point because of one of these units people watching the stream may feel inclined to go there or follow whatever Ross says if he feels like commanding these groups through the stream or something. I'll be trying to run the game with my E7500 and HD 6750, which can handle games like GTA V and Metro last light in 1280 x 720 minimum settings. I'll mod the config files if needed. lol.

What's the FoV minimum you can bear?

Hm, so serious, almost like you forgot that this is the game :) I don't know about the rest, but I definitely will be there only to hear your (and other people's) comments on the major clusterfucks that will inevitably happen. I mean, what's the point of advertising this as a "playsession with fans" if you are going to distance yourself from the actual playing as much as possible? So I really encourage you to at least setup some one-way voice chat. Twich is not very good at that, because it eats bandwidth for image, that no-one in play really needs, and it has a noticeable lag.

I also think that this have some potential as a video feature, provided that the voicechat will be recorded: some funny moments together with people's reaction. This can be fun.

Are there any other people with the access to some voice-chat servers? Mine alone won't support several hundreds, but if we divide the load between 5-6 it might be feasible.

I realize twitch isn't ideal, but this is going to be a logistics nightmare with the communication, so maybe there can be intermediaries relaying what I say to the right people. At least with twitch, EVERYONE can access it if they need to (or just want to watch). Plus some people could keep twitch off most of the time, then turn it on if they want to see my location.

I'm trying to figure that out now, but I definitely don't want to be the one running it. It would be better to hand that off to someone more experienced with new players. I would be fine with them operating independent of me also, though having some sort of communication pathway to the outfit would be helpful as well. There are multiple tiers I'm envisioning for this:

1. Brand new players who barely got through the tutorial (I don't expect them to join squads or outfits, that's why I was emphasizing autonomy in the tutorial)

2. Beginning to intermediate players who want more organization (this is who we'll want an official outfit for)

3. Advanced players (these people should operate independent from me as they see fit).

Why are people still saying to make an Outfit? THERE IS ONE ON EACH OF THE US SERVERS ALREADY!!! Accursed Farms (US West server) and Accursed Farms East (US East server) are open for anyone to join!
I've gotten a couple emails about possibilities also, but let's try and decide on an official one before the next videochat on May 1st if we can, I can announce it then that way.

Oh also Ross never said anything about the Q key, it's not something really needed for the video but marking enemies is pretty useful.
I was aiming for as SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE. I don't expect brand new players to even use the minimap necessarily.

I realize twitch isn't ideal, but this is going to be a logistics nightmare with the communication, so maybe there can be intermediaries relaying what I say to the right people.

Or, if we find several voice-chat servers, we can chain-link them together to relay the messages from one-another. Did you know you can do this? :) We may not yet have flying cars, but at least the message relaying is something our computers can do on their own (well, mumble can, I never used teamspeak or ventrilo).

But that's all just theory. Unless there will be some other servers available it's not gonna work. By the way, Ross, can you say what was the average number of listeners to your monthly chats? This should give a rough number of players to expect.

I realize twitch isn't ideal, but this is going to be a logistics nightmare with the communication, so maybe there can be intermediaries relaying what I say to the right people.

Or, if we find several voice-chat servers, we can chain-link them together to relay the messages from one-another. Did you know you can do this? :) We may not yet have flying cars, but at least the message relaying is something our computers can do on their own (well, mumble can, I never used teamspeak or ventrilo).

But that's all just theory. Unless there will be some other servers available it's not gonna work. By the way, Ross, can you say what was the average number of listeners to your monthly chats? This should give a rough number of players to expect.

I have been comm officer for the squad and platoons and that was not pleasurable experience at all.

Not if we will only relay one person's messages, and not a bunch of people. It will definitely beat the broken phone with some intermediates.

But as I said, it's all academical unless we find another ~5 servers.

I realize twitch isn't ideal, but this is going to be a logistics nightmare with the communication, so maybe there can be intermediaries relaying what I say to the right people. At least with twitch, EVERYONE can access it if they need to (or just want to watch). Plus some people could keep twitch off most of the time, then turn it on if they want to see my location.

I strongly recommend you practice just streaming the game before the big event. This can be a lot of work, and you don't want to be solving streaming issues while also solving player coordination issues as well. I think that streaming a game is more challenging than just a Q&A. Keep it on the down low so that people don't get confused about when the first monthly event is, and just practice that one part of it. If it turns out to be easy you will have only wasted time.

I've made a character on Emerald just for this. He is named 'BlueIsGoodNotBlueMeansShoot'. Just so people will have a little reminder when I revive them, as I often play medic. Otherwise I have a BR40'ish character on Cobalt.

Not if we will only relay one person's messages, and not a bunch of people. It will definitely beat the broken phone with some intermediates.

But as I said, it's all academical unless we find another ~5 servers.

Discord, by looks of it, should handle all of it in one place, which would help a lot + you can use it over browser.

I have actually built a clan for those who are advanced enough to know how those work... It is available to the NC on the Emerald (US East) and Connery (US West) servers. Should be able to find it by searching for Accursed Farms.

I am hoping to be there for this event, and will likely be running a small squad to do 'black ops' style missions. (running behind enemy lines to delay their vehicles from getting to the front lines, or do hit & run tactics on undefended territories) In game name is BTGbullseye or Bobthegreat.

I can't seem to find any outfit with "Accursed Farms" :(