Fallout New Orleans filed for trademark

Sign in to follow this  

So this just recently popped up but Fallout: New Orleans was filed for trademark in the EU a few months ago and a few people have found it. It's also no surprise that Obsidian has talked about doing another Fallout game like New Vegas and that they have been interested in New Orleans for some time. So thoughts and speculations?

Source of trademark: https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/015737133

Josh Sawyer talking about doing another Fallout game: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/obsidian-mulls-over-new-fallout-locations-and-neverwinter-return

So would it be called Fallout: New New Orleans? :lol: But in all seriousness I would like to see Obsidian make another Fallout game. New Vegas was a great game.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

So would it be called Fallout: New New Orleans? :lol: But in all seriousness I would like to see Obsidian make another Fallout game. New Vegas was a great game.

Nah, it would be called Fallout: New N'awlins.

And anyway, probably fake unfortunately.

Not the first time a fake copy-write has been filed. Especially since it's just a filing, and not accepted or anything.

Especially since this has already been talked up a bit, ever since the Obsidian devs first suggested it in that interview linked up top.

Also, for the fun of the idea, this would be the trailer song*:

cdGcB8eWKlM

*Note: This had previous been suggested on the Fallout reddit, so it's not my idea or anything. I just like the song.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I like that for a FO:NO theme. It definitely fits the Fallout feel.

I personally would like to see a Fallout that gets this for an abbreviation: FO:SHO :P

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

1) Is it possible to see who registered such a trademark? As far as I understand - no... Could be just a spoof or get rich quick scheme - people have been doing it with domain names since internet was created; OR since nuka world is the last DLC, bethseda might do it themselves... Or just registering ideas and no guarantees of an actual game development...

2) I'm quite sure the guy from Obsidian (maybe in another interview) said quite clearly - yes, he would be interested in another fallout game, but there is nothing planned/going on in that direction (read that quite recently, can't find it atm). Oh and that article is from 2014!!!!!

1) Is it possible to see who registered such a trademark? As far as I understand - no... Could be just a spoof or get rich quick scheme - people have been doing it with domain names since internet was created; OR since nuka world is the last DLC, bethseda might do it themselves... Or just registering ideas and no guarantees of an actual game development...

2) I'm quite sure the guy from Obsidian (maybe in another interview) said quite clearly - yes, he would be interested in another fallout game, but there is nothing planned/going on in that direction (read that quite recently, can't find it atm). Oh and that article is from 2014!!!!!

The trademark was filed this year as for it being a spoof the EUIPO requires people to spend like 850 euros in order to trademark something. The interview I posted was to show Obsidian has thought about doing another Fallout game and specifically stated thinking of doing New Orleans.

Given the grudge that either Zenimax or Bethesda is holding against Obsidian I would be genuinely surprised if they let them make another Fallout game.

I don't recall Zenimax or Bethesda ever holding a grudge against Obsidian. Was there something going on behind the scenes or did you noticed something hinting at some sort of grudge? I'm genuinely curious now.

Given the grudge that either Zenimax or Bethesda is holding against Obsidian I would be genuinely surprised if they let them make another Fallout game.

I don't recall Zenimax or Bethesda ever holding a grudge against Obsidian. Was there something going on behind the scenes or did you noticed something hinting at some sort of grudge? I'm genuinely curious now.

As far as I know that's something fans came up with since Bethesda never really mentioned anything about New Vegas in Fallout 4 that meant there is some kind of 'grudge' or something. Just something fans make up to claim Bethesda is jealous of New Vegas despite lacking any real evidence to prove that.

As far as I know that's something fans came up with since Bethesda never really mentioned anything about New Vegas in Fallout 4 that meant there is some kind of 'grudge' or something. Just something fans make up to claim Bethesda is jealous of New Vegas despite lacking any real evidence to prove that.

Well, except for the handful of New Vegas references in Fallout 4, anyway.

Like the New Vegas sign being in the Missile Command game (although I think that was added after the game was announced).

Or Deacon referencing Robert House when trying to shut down a robot.

Granted, it's not much (I for one am disappointed that they didn't have a Mr. House reference in the CIT ruins), but to be fair, it also takes place several thousand miles away, and only a few years after the fact, so let's call it 50/50.

Edit: I forgot, in the Vim! factory in Far Harbour, they (indirectly) reference Nuka-Cola Quartz, and in the new Nuka World trailer, you can see a bottle of Nuka-Cola Victory, both of which only appeared in New Vegas. So there's that, too.

Yeah, I recall one panel interview about Fallout 4 after its release, (don't ask which, I don't care enough to remember) and they said Obsidian still had full rights to make another Fallout title, and that the F4 devs were looking forward to seeing what Obsidian came up with.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Given that Bethesda completely butchered the lore and game mechanics with Fallout 4, that NV wasn't included in the Fallout Bundle at the time of Fallout 4's release, that Obsidian was given less than a year to make NV, that they were screwed out of their bonus by one point, and despite that it still scored the same as Fallout 3 on metacritic gives me the vibe that the CEO of Zenimax isn't too fond of them.

Given that Bethesda completely butchered the lore and game mechanics with Fallout 4,

Bethesda always butchers the lore/game mechanics in their games because each game is being made by a new and different team each time. If you look at the credits for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim outside of Todd Howard there are virtually no similarities amongst their respective teams. They might as well be considered separate entities because their teams are so vastly different.

Given that Bethesda completely butchered the lore and game mechanics with Fallout 4, that NV wasn't included in the Fallout Bundle at the time of Fallout 4's release, that Obsidian was given less than a year to make NV, that they were screwed out of their bonus by one point, and despite that it still scored the same as Fallout 3 on metacritic gives me the vibe that the CEO of Zenimax isn't too fond of them.

Uh what. New Vegas was always part of the Fallout bundle on Steam. If you're talking about the bundle of 1, 2 and Tactics that bundle is also lacking Fallout 3.

Bethesda is not "butchering the lore" nor did they Butcher the mechanics in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 had a higher metacritic score then New Vegas. Also it doesn't matter what the board of Zenimax think, Bethesda has full autonomy in what they do.

Uh what. New Vegas was always part of the Fallout bundle on Steam. If you're talking about the bundle of 1, 2 and Tactics that bundle is also lacking Fallout 3.

Bethesda is not "butchering the lore" nor did they Butcher the mechanics in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 had a higher metacritic score then New Vegas. Also it doesn't matter what the board of Zenimax think, Bethesda has full autonomy in what they do.

Yeah, I'm not following this logic. Gameplay wise, everything is a lot smoother, especially the actual combat. I will agree that there should have been more skill checks, and that the dialogue system didn't work out so well, but overall, I've had way more actual fun with Fallout 4 than even 3 and NV.

And lore wise, they did okay. No worse than Fallout 2 did, and I feel like overall they improved over 3's lore. I mean, yeah, there's some screw-ups (pre-war jet, X0-01 armor being found in pre-war places, but not Billy the ghoul, because there's no reason to assume that all ghouls act the same because we already know that ghoulification is a crapshoot, but whatever) and some retro-active continuity (But to be fair, with a series like this, not being able to add new stuff because it wasn't in the previous games is a death sentence), but in terms of story, I'd say it's an improvement over 3. I mean, yeah, story wise, it didn't top NV, but it at least showed improvement over their previous efforts.

I'm all for the Fallout series branching out, even in the series context of America. It's not as if the USA has a shortage of states or cities! :P New Orleans would make an absolutely setting for the post-apocalyptic lore, with its rich heritage of dixieland jazz and musical flamboyance, it's religious and racial co-mingling, the contentious politics of Louisiana itself, it's necropolitan European-stylized cemeteries, swamp dwelling roux-ga-roux werewolves and numerous other cryptids, alligator people, unique beverages with French names like Café Brûlot Diabolique, horrifying mutant strains of marsh-dwelling animals, and the subsequent delicious home cooking made from said marsh-dwelling animals.

Just so you know I'm going to allow my imagination get the better of me and beat my calloused cynicism into submission over this. It nothing ever comes of this I might have to run away from the planet out of sheer disappointment.

EDIT: In my haste to post I kind of glazed over the IGN part where the developing team in question is Obsidian, not Bethesda. I apologize for slamming belly first onto the rumour mill.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa