First Person Shooters

Sign in to follow this  

Half-Life 2 (everyone knows why)

The entire Battlefield series (the best MP FPS ever IMO)

Medal of Honor series (The best, most realistic reproduction of historical events in an FPS game I've seen)

Command & Conquer: Renegade (if only they had a new one for the Red Alert series, and made it a FPS/RPG/RTS combo)

Crysis (most destructible game environment I've seen pre-BFBC2)

Fallout: New Vegas (easiest to mod FPS I've seen)

Tribes 2 (loved the jet packs, the modability, and the overall gameplay style)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

System Shock 2 - Inventory, RPG elements, very scary (At the time, but it still is a little scary for me.).

Serious Sam - Running backwards while holding mouse button 1 was never so much fun until this game arrived.

Red Faction - The storyline grabbed me, as cheesy as it is, I also found the music and environments very atmospheric.

HalfLife - Is there anything that can go wrong with being a trigger-happy scientist?

HalfLife 2 - The more cinematic brother of the original. I love the character development across the game and the episodes. Ep2 has especially good "relax moments" between the action bits in my opinion. The game world really captures me; fx. when I first saw how massive the citadel building is I had to grab my eyes as they fell out, especially at the start and end of Ep1.

Painkiller - Fantastic graphics and fun action mixed with interesting gameplay elements such as tarot cards and the 5-star challenge (Which I never attempted.). I feel the story is this game's weakness but it all balanced out well. I only played Painkiller and its expansion Battle out of Hell, the three other games do not deserve to be put in the same category despite sharing the name, they were made as a publisher's act of desperation for more income.

Quake - A fun, mindless shooter set in a world that I feel Quake 5 should return to.

Quake 2 - The game I grew up with. I know most of the enemy positions in the entire game. . . Fun, mindless shooter that has a soundtrack that really puts me into the mood to shoot.

I think that should do.

Half-Life 2 is my favorite video game of all time.

The graphics are drop-dead gorgeous, even seven years later. There are no cutscenes; all exposition is in very immersive scripted sequences. Every time you play the game, you encounter something new, even if you're playing through it for the twentieth time.

Although I like the character Alyx, I hate her voice actor personally. She's a racist! If you don't believe me, listen to one of the commentary nodes in Half-Life 2 Episode 2 in the part where Alyx is reunited with her father in White Forest.

Half-Life 2 is my favorite video game of all time.

The graphics are drop-dead gorgeous, even seven years later. There are no cutscenes; all exposition is in very immersive scripted sequences. Every time you play the game, you encounter something new, even if you're playing through it for the twentieth time.

Agreed. Even on lower settings the game looks amazing for the time. My jaw dropped when I played it for the first time. It really gave me the feeling of being in what felt like a completely realized world.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Half Life 2, obvious choice.

I'm pretty sure this forum is full of Valve fanboy's like myself so I wouldn't expect a huge variety of answers on this topic

A FPS I love very much is Gunman Chronicles. While the graphics don't hold up that well today, it had awesome customizable weapons and HUGE bosses. I bought it on sale and haven't regret it ever since. It uses the HL1 engine so it feels similar to HL1 in many aspects, but it's clearly its own entity as well.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

A FPS I love very much is Gunman Chronicles. While the graphics don't hold up that well today, it had awesome customizable weapons and HUGE bosses. I bought it on sale and haven't regret it ever since. It uses the HL1 engine so it feels similar to HL1 in many aspects, but it's clearly its own entity as well.

I'm going to torrent it if I can.

For some reason this picture came to mind:

j7rgy9.jpg

Notice it doesn't have BFBC2 in there...

Half-Life 2 and its Episodes are favorites. Both Left 4 Deads are good for the occasional killing spree. TF2 currently has 684 hours on it. If it counts, Portal was pretty damn awesome. Bioshock 2 kicked ass, but Bioshock 1 was meh. Halo: Reach was alright but the story and characters were just utter shit. Duke Nukem Forever, however, seems to be a hot contender for the #1 spot based off what I've seen and heard of it.

Fox News seems to hate it, so that has to be a good sign.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

I always classed it more as an RPG than a regular shooter...

Bioshock 2 kicked ass, but Bioshock 1 was meh.

Wow, i have actually never heard someone with that opinion before. Personally I LOVE them both, but Bioshock has a better story and is scarier(in BS2 you are like the second biggest thing in rapture, so it really doesn't feel very scary anymore).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bioshock 2 kicked ass, but Bioshock 1 was meh.

Wow, i have actually never heard someone with that opinion before.

Let me fix that: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156

I find both games meh at best, BS2 I found more enjoyable overall, but in BS1 I had to force myself to finish it. After that I uninstalled and will probably never look at it again.

I honestly don't think Bioshock 1 or 2 were even remotely 'scary', but then again I am one of those that played Doom 3 on Nightmare with the lights out, after midnight, silent house... A couple dozen times...

Horror movies/games have to require a significant amount of brain power to even begin to scare me now, since "shock factor" scaring has been Doomed out of me... (though I do still get creeped out every now and then when I see stuff that reminds me of some of the scenes in that game)