General Software Thread

So since there isn't a general software thread I'd figure I'd start one. Please feel free to recommend, ask for help with or post settings for various pieces of software.

Over the past couple of days I've been tinkering with OBS. I am recording to an SSD, the AMD H264 Encoder is my encoder, my target bitrate is set to 5500 and my audio bitrate is set to 64. With these settings I can produce a 1 min video that's about 50 mbs in size. If anyone else has any suggestions for settings that will decrease file size without compromising on quality let me know.

AB1MZz4.png

OYVVycT.png

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Might want to try VBR instead of CBR if you can... It usually drops file sizes significantly.

[EDIT] Looks like it also has an MKV format option, which is an objectively better container format than MP4. Too bad it can't do HEVC encoding. (or doesn't seem to want to show the option to on my system)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

VBR definitely helped shrink the file size without reducing the quality. The 1 min video shrunk from about 50 mbs to 44 mbs. Even though that's only 6 mbs I'll take it. Any other suggestions?

hBil07r.png

Looking at this comparison of container formats here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats MKV is objectively better than MP4. With that said I want my footage to be as compatible as possible so I'm stuck with MP4 for now. Like for instance Youtube doesn't support MKV.

Also any suggestions for keybindings? I have start/stop recording set to shift + R .

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Windows Update Blocker (WUB)

202585191_2020-11-1000_02_04-Wub.jpg.1efaf66b6b13f764ec0d532f77e3da50.jpg

This is a small and simple program that I recently found capable of stopping Windows updates completely until you choose otherwise. It can be found at Sordum's website. I'm using it with Windows 7 but it will definitely be more useful for those on Windows 10.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

meh, i just edited the permissions to some folder and that killed the updates permanently

It's great, anyone can do that as well and even if they don't know how, they can Google it and find it easily. But to speed up the process and for those who don't want to permanently disable updates and be able to activate and deactivate at any time, I recommend this program. But it also disables updates completely, without the problem of the system asking you to update while you are working. It's like a switch.

Edited by logical_lord
Adding more information. (see edit history)