Adobe is planning end-of-life Flash

From the end of 2020 forward, Adobe Flash will not be updated or distributed anymore. If you're a content creator that uses Flash or plays games that uses Flash; you have been warned. Some places such as Newgrounds are preparing their own player to run their games, but others (games linked only to certain sites by contract, for example) will surely be forgotten.

Here's the news, straight from Adobe's site: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

I get all my software news from HomestarRunner.net

That's HomestarRunner.net "It's Dot Com!"

Also that Armageddon/Deep Impact joke 

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

After the big security ruckus two, three years ago, everyone should had moved over to HTML5 or so. Homestuck apparently did. Though, Flash was great. Lots of memories and lots of games played. Sadly, was.

I don't particularly care that flash will stop existing in the browser space. I get that it's insecure blah blah..

What I DO care about is over 20 years of content being completely voip-ed (seeing as we're using H*R as a conversation piece) out of existance. (Or rather doomed to exist in a format we can no longer run)

There are (good) attempts at archival but all attempts at creating an open source equivilant of the player have failed due to flash's massive complexity.

This is a serious problem due to bitrot. The actual excecutables will only continue to run on current Operating Systems for so long and let's face it, even in it's heyday flash was a sluggish nightmare.

Edited by Elf_Ears (see edit history)

Well, you can download official offline flash player that will play most of swf files. So it's not all gone. It might become more problematic to run it in the future though.

5 hours ago, Prinny said:

Well, you can download official offline flash player that will play most of swf files.

Last time I checked, that was available for all major versions up to Flash 20.0.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.