Best Free Anti-Virus Software

Sign in to follow this  

So my free 60 days on Norton have just run out and I need to find some reliable, free anti-virus software.

What do you think is the best?

I've been using Avast for as long as I can remember. Avast gives you constant updates and is perfectly reliable.

Does it come with a firewall(Avast I mean)? If not how reliable is the default windows firewall?

I have been using Avira pretty much since I've had my PC. I never had any viruses.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NOD32 here. I haven't seen any viruses or other malware in years so this thing is still at 0 achievements.

AVG does the trick for me. Perfect record for the last... I don't know, 4 years or something like that (I used to have NOD32 before).

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I've been using Avast! for some time and had no problems whatsoever. For a firewall I use Windows 7's own which seems to work fine. I've not had any trouble anyway and I've heard that it's a pretty decent firewall in its own right.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

As far as i know, free Anti-Virus are as good as commercial ones.

But... I don't use Anti-Virus, so don't trust me so much

The anti-virus companies have been terrorizing us for years, telling us that our computers are going to fail if we don't use their software. But in fact, weakest part of the system is the user.

Internet is a reflect of real world and as we walk carefully on the street, we must be careful with Internet. I've been without antivirus for many years, I have had no problems and only by don't opening 'strange' things.

I was without one for years in the past with no problems occurring, my system always remained fast and stable. Anti-virus software can sometimes be bigger troublemakers than the actual viruses imo.

Avast is the only AV I trust to not eat system resources, or destroy my internet/HDD speeds... They make 90% of their money from corporate protection, so they give the best free version available. (they submit their free version to compete against all other's paid ultimate versions, and frequently make the #1 slot)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Microsoft Security Essentials.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

I stand by Avast.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."