Cyberpunk 2077

Sign in to follow this  

So, we're approaching the "3-months 'til release" date for Cyberpunk 2077, and I felt like making a thread to discuss the game.

So far, my first impressions are that this is going to be what Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were supposed to be. It has the same feeling, and even some of the locations in the demos look/feel identical in every meaningful way.

The "smartgun" in the demo that shows bullets arcing around cover and auto-targeting the enemy, I built that in Doom 3 in 2004. It's always a fun way of shooting. (not a fan of the shotgun though)

I haven't been able to determine just how destructible the terrain and barriers are from the demos, but I very much like what I DO see. Interior walls being penetrable at the very least is very much appreciated by my sense of realism.

The driving system is nice too. Allows for a much bigger world, without making it take hours just to get from point A to point B.

NO LOADING SCREENS EVER!!! YAY!!!

Since it includes DXR, I hope the next gen of GPUs is good enough, and inexpensive enough, that I can get one and have it installed before the game launches. I wanna see the Cyberpunk 2077 world in all its glory!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

14 hours ago, Alyxx Thorne said:

I'm pretty hyped ngl. Gonna be the game of the year for me.

Most likely for me as well. Though it may have a bit of competition from Wasteland 3. Visuals will likely heavily favor Cyberpunk 2077 for a good long while for most games.

I really hope they'll actively support the modding community with tools and such. Would like to see it get a page with half a billion mods on the Nexus like Fallout 4, or even better the 1.7 billion of Skyrim.

12 hours ago, Alyxx Thorne said:

From what I've heard, mod support will be a thing.

Yeah, but no word on if they'll do something like Bethesda with the user-friendly mod tools. I mean, with Fallout 3 you could make your own armor and place it in the world in under an hour without any programming or code knowledge, just from guessing. Fallout 4 made it almost impossible to do that with weapons, but everything else stayed the same. What about Cyberpunk 2077?

Looks like I'll probably be starting out as a Nomad, and going for the ultimate cyborg mechanical/computer master. I'd also likely use smartguns as my primary, or a ricochet weapon alternatively.

I'm fully convinced this is gonna be something akin to Fallout 4, a creatively bankrupt game with a boring if not insulting narrative, but astounding gameplay and interesting mechanics.

On one hand, the level of customization afforded to the player is amazing which is ideal for a great roleplaying experience, on the other, you simply can't create a cyberpunk game with a compelling narrative if the narrative is supposed to be apolitical.

the name's riley

5 hours ago, Annie said:

you simply can't create a cyberpunk game with a compelling narrative if the narrative is supposed to be apolitical.

Except that every single video they show an extremely political narrative. The Corpos, Nomads, gangs, corrupt cops, etc...

3 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Except that every single video they show an extremely political narrative. The Corpos, Nomads, gangs, corrupt cops, etc...

Correct. You're missing the point. You can't avoid creating a political narrative when you're making a cyberpunk game, but considering CDPR's stated goal of not making a political statement with the game I can only assume it will end up having a shallow narrative at best.

You know how some people will say they like to avoid politics? That's because politics alienates people and makes them feel uncomfortable. I can only assume the reason CDPR wants to avoid making a political statement with the game is because they don't want to alienate people or make them feel uncomfortable, but in doing so they're likely going to sacrifice a compelling narrative.

the name's riley

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Correct. You're missing the point. You can't avoid creating a political narrative when you're making a cyberpunk game, but considering CDPR's stated goal of not making a political statement with the game I can only assume it will end up having a shallow narrative at best.

You know how some people will say they like to avoid politics? That's because politics alienates people and makes them feel uncomfortable. I can only assume the reason CDPR wants to avoid making a political statement with the game is because they don't want to alienate people or make them feel uncomfortable, but in doing so they're likely going to sacrifice a compelling narrative.

I think their statement meant that the game doesn't force you into specific endgame results, meaning that they aren't making a statement, you get to make the political statement you want to make with your endgame. That's what I got from their interviews anyways.

2 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

I think their statement meant that the game doesn't force you into specific endgame results, meaning that they aren't making a statement, you get to make the political statement you want to make with your endgame. That's what I got from their interviews anyways.

That would be good if it's true.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

2 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

This still has the exact same effect I'm worried about. Fallout New Vegas was explicitly clear on who the good guys and bad guys were while also being openly critical of the good guys. If they want the game to be like FNV in this regard I'll be glad, and if they're less wishy-washy with the narrative than the outer worlds turned out to be then I'll definitely be impressed, but I'm not optimistic. Cyberpunk as a concept is explicitly anti-capitalist and makes a clear statement against infinite growth and other such capitalist ambitions. If they don't take a side I have no faith in the narrative of the game.

I hope I'm proven wrong but so far the game is shaping up to be mediocre at best for me.

the name's riley

2 hours ago, Annie said:

This still has the exact same effect I'm worried about. Fallout New Vegas was explicitly clear on who the good guys and bad guys were while also being openly critical of the good guys. If they want the game to be like FNV in this regard I'll be glad, and if they're less wishy-washy with the narrative than the outer worlds turned out to be then I'll definitely be impressed, but I'm not optimistic. Cyberpunk as a concept is explicitly anti-capitalist and makes a clear statement against infinite growth and other such capitalist ambitions. If they don't take a side I have no faith in the narrative of the game.

I hope I'm proven wrong but so far the game is shaping up to be mediocre at best for me.

The Corpos are usually the "bad guys" due to being the most powerful, and an almost totally uncontested group. Then again, just about everyone is the bad guy in some way, so it's a bit more realistic in that regard.

The movie Elysium is pretty similar to a Cyberpunk story.

Edited by BTGBullseye (see edit history)

16 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

The Corpos are usually the "bad guys" due to being the most powerful, and an almost totally uncontested group. Then again, just about everyone is the bad guy in some way, so it's a bit more realistic in that regard.

The movie Elysium is pretty similar to a Cyberpunk story.

Corporations are usually depicted as the bad guys because actual corporations are bad. Not a tough concept. That said, it's not really enough to be critical of corporations. A major theme of cyberpunk as a genre is a critique of capitalism's tendency to give way to corporate power, which BEYOND being above the law for all intents and purposes, is always highly unethical. Bad labor conditions, anti-union practices, profiting off of disasters which leave everyone else in a financial hell.

the name's riley

6 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

what do u mean? that we should do something about it or, something else?

I mean, yes, direct action against corporations would be advisable but not currently practical in my opinion.

I'm saying more that if you want a cyberpunk narrative to be compelling you shouldn't stop at "corporations bad".

the name's riley

23 hours ago, Annie said:

I mean, yes, direct action against corporations would be advisable but not currently practical in my opinion.

I'm saying more that if you want a cyberpunk narrative to be compelling you shouldn't stop at "corporations bad".

Considering one possible major branch of the game is "you vs the corpos", it's a little more than that.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:47 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Considering one possible major branch of the game is "you vs the corpos", it's a little more than that.

Again, I think you're missing the point.

the name's riley

14 hours ago, Annie said:

Again, I think you're missing the point.

I think you're miscommunicating your point.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:46 AM, BTGBullseye said:

I think you're miscommunicating your point.

I'm pretty clear on what my point is, I'm guessing Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the quintessential "wow! cool future!" game because they're not going to do enough to create a compelling cyberpunk narrative, that's my point and always has been.

the name's riley

I'm cautiously optimistic on Cyberpunk 2077. From hype alone I'm not sure how it can measure up to that sheer scale of excitement but otherwise, it looks like a game that will scratch the itch Deus Ex has permanently given me. Outside the context of the game, it has been kinda funny watching CDPR's PR gingerly address the topic of microtransactions for the as yet undetailed multiplayer.