Online Users

Hey there.

Most forums have this thing at the bottom with "currently online users", when were the most users ever online, total users and that kind of stuff. I do not know why but I love looking at those things, I spent hours in random forums just looking at the member list, checking who are the ones remaining active, and sometimes stare at long forgotten users' profiles, feeling a nostalgia that isn't even mine.

It's kind of a drug, don't judge me.

So anyway, is there a way to see this? Am I missing something? I want to see how many people are registered, how many people are online, I want to be able to read all nicknames without having to look for them in topics. I ask this because maybe there is a way to see it and I'm just not finding it. 

Thank you.

Yeah that's a pretty cool feature in most forums. I liked it a lot back when I had a forum. It's a nice indicator of the forum's userbase health. I'd guess it is not activated on ours but I truly don't know how the back end of this forum works. Mine was on phpBB WAY back in the day around 2007 or so.  But yeah, nobody will judge you for that. lol 

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Well, it's not super helpful but like Luis said it's an indicator of the forum's userbase health, I like checking that info at the forums I'm in, it gives me a sense of how big the community is at the moment. But yeah, it isn't an anti-missile barrier so it is not super important, it's just something some people like and some don't. We can disagree RaTcHeT302, I understand your point. I wonder if there is a win-win situation, where you can turn it off and I can turn it on.

I'm in it, but it is not the same for me. It's nice though. (answering quote below, I messed up and can't move it)

3 hours ago, kerdios said:

Do you know about the discords?

Edited by Swamp
Messed up the quote (see edit history)

There is a "Who's Online" feature I could have added to the footer of the forums if the people want it (probably up for @Luis and the other mods to decide, though). Alternatively you could see accursedfarms.com/online for the same thing.

Regarding the privacy concerns. usually most forums I've seen that have a "who's online" thing at the bottom also tend to have an option to just list you as a hidden user when you log in.

44 minutes ago, Generic-User said:

Regarding the privacy concerns. usually most forums I've seen that have a "who's online" thing at the bottom also tend to have an option to just list you as a hidden user when you log in.

Also an option here, "Sign in anonymously". I've decided to enable it now since it appears most people want it. (Those who don't can voice their disapproval, I guess.)

Edited by ekket (see edit history)

2 hours ago, ekket said:

Also an option here, "Sign in anonymously". I've decided to enable it now since it appears most people want it. (Those who don't can voice their disapproval, I guess.)

I like that it's an option, but I miss having a searchable user list. (I like seeing who's most actively posting in the forums)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

8 hours ago, ekket said:

There is a "Who's Online" feature I could have added to the footer of the forums if the people want it (probably up for @Luis and the other mods to decide, though). Alternatively you could see accursedfarms.com/online for the same thing.

Thank you, this scratches my itch a bit.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, ekket said:

To me that's more of a forum's webmaster/owners decision to make. So if it hasn't been activated or requested by Ross or any of the other admins I'd say we should just leave it alone unless a huge demand surges.  

And thanks for the accursedfarms.com/online link. I do like to see this kind of stuff as well hehe. It's pretty mind boggling to me how many lurkers this forum has in the form of guest users. 

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Thank you for adding it! Looks neat. 

5 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i mean they already turned it on so it doesn't really matter anymore xD

hhPZ0qJ.png

I'm sorry if this kind of went against your comfort, RaTcHeT302. I would tell you how to set your status to anonymous but I could not find the option, I hope you do so you don't feel tracked. 

48 minutes ago, ekket said:

Here's the option for that:

image.png

can i post while being signed in anonymously? and if so will it show my username or just say anonymous?

Burn the World!

I'm just going to guess based on other forums I've in the past, you should be able to post like you normally would, and it would display who made the post just the same. The only thing it keeps hidden is just your online status.

I'm also posting this while signed in anonymously, so I guess we'll see...

Edited by Generic-User (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Generic-User said:

I'm just going to guess based on other forums I've in the past, you should be able to post like you normally would, and it would display who made the post just the same. The only thing it keeps hidden is just your online status.

I'm also posting this while signed in anonymously, so I guess we'll see...

ok, I can see your username as normal,

now I'm trying it.

Also which page that has all those acounts that don't have their location stated looking at?

Burn the World!

On 8/26/2020 at 4:53 AM, Swamp said:

Hey there.

Most forums have this thing at the bottom with "currently online users", when were the most users ever online, total users and that kind of stuff. I do not know why but I love looking at those things, I spent hours in random forums just looking at the member list, checking who are the ones remaining active, and sometimes stare at long forgotten users' profiles, feeling a nostalgia that isn't even mine.

It's kind of a drug, don't judge me.

So anyway, is there a way to see this? Am I missing something? I want to see how many people are registered, how many people are online, I want to be able to read all nicknames without having to look for them in topics. I ask this because maybe there is a way to see it and I'm just not finding it. 

Thank you.

We are the same. You with this were a reason for online list?

On 4/3/2023 at 3:24 PM, Алексић Владица. said:

We are the same. You with this were a reason for online list?

Oh, tonight is The Hunt?
I'm..I'm sorry, I thought The Hunt was tomorrow night.

gothosHunt.jpg

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 4/4/2023 at 4:49 AM, Алексић Владица. said:

I do not get the refference.

nevermind.

By the way, do you know about the Accursed Farms discord server?

It's a lot more active than the forums, but I still split my time
A bit of a warning though: more activity means more assholes, but it's generally a good place!

https://discordapp.com/invite/EVkdYXT

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 4/6/2023 at 1:08 AM, Im_CIA said:

nevermind.

By the way, do you know about the Accursed Farms discord server?

It's a lot more active than the forums, but I still split my time
A bit of a warning though: more activity means more assholes, but it's generally a good place!

https://discordapp.com/invite/EVkdYXT

No. Dost thou think Ic have time for that? Ic do not. Futhermore, that platform is braindead and is a litter for such people.