What bothers me about a few episodes of Freeman's Mind

I love this series, despite the incredibly nitpicky and pedantic things I'm about to say about it; just to make things clear.

I don't know if this has been brought up before: at the beginning of Episode 6, Freeman remarks that he found a Glock off of the security guard. He then mentions that it has a full "clip" and that the "safety's off". For one thing, Glock handguns are magazine fed; they don't use clips. Glock handguns also don't have safeties that you flip on and off; they have trigger safeties that are disengaged if you pulled the level on the trigger. In this sense, Glocks safeties' are always on, until the trigger is pulled.

Also, it's always struck me as odd when Freeman uses his pistol, despite having a shotgun and a submachine gun. Who is he, Laura Croft? The only purpose of a pistol is to defend yourself until you can fall back to a better weapon or get more ammo for your primary weapon. It looks weird when Freeman uses his pistol despite his many remarks that he has enough ammo for his submachine gun. This has happened many times throughout the series; more recently, it happened in Episode 32 when Freeman is "tidying up".

But I guess all these things can be attributed to Freeman's eccentricities...

The Glock thing is him just not REALLY knowing anything about guns (just what he sees on TV), so it's prolly not a glock he has but some other pistol...

Also, why not use a pistol when not in immediate danger?

Yeah, it shoots slower, but when else would you use it?

Using the pistol to "clean up" like that is fairly common with gamers, in my experience...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Using the pistol to "clean up" like that is fairly common with gamers, in my experience...

Besides,since Freeman actually keep his weapons down when not using them;what can you lift and aim faster,a small pistol or a submachine gun?

That and the fact that the shotgun and the submachine gun are terrible long range weapons, and since he is not using the magnum yet,the pistol becomes way more useful

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

The Glock thing is him just not REALLY knowing anything about guns (just what he sees on TV), so it's prolly not a glock he has but some other pistol...

Micahel Archer has a point about the pistol that 99% of people don't understand and friends of mine informed about:

Pistols are mainly used for looks and expressing that "I'm the man here and you better listen to me"

The police themselves say that they have extremely terrible aim and wish they had machine guns or shotguns, if you played counter strike, that's the real aim and effectiveness of a pistol, not like in the movies or other games. If it was real, Gordon Freeman would notice how shitty the pistol is and never use it after a while but we can ignore that little fact, can't we?

In fact some of the pistols are less effetive then knives penetration wise.

You should go to gun-tirs sometimes

The Desert Eagle and other military pistols are some exceptions.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

That and the fact that the shotgun and the submachine gun are terrible long range

Which is very wrong, go to a tir and shoot some of the weapons yourself and see.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Freeman emptied the shotgun in ep 32 and even shot some more after reloading. As far as I know the pistol uses the same ammo as the SMG but deals more damage, so it makes sense to make the precision shots when your targets are not threatening you where you stand.

I think people are missing the point. It's not about effectiveness or the situation, but what looks more awesome. People say "the right tool for the right job", and right now the job is to look badass. Pistols have that "I'm so awesome, I only need one shot" feel to them. That's why you always see James Bond with that PPK and not a missle launcher. Shotgun and machine gun have their uses too, it's more about atmosphere.

Really, if you wanted to go on about realism, you're doing it in a world with aliens, teleporters, and creepy old guys in suits that appear randomly and check out guys from a distance.

I think people are missing the point. It's not about effectiveness or the situation, but what looks more awesome. People say "the right tool for the right job", and right now the job is to look badass. Pistols have that "I'm so awesome, I only need one shot" feel to them. That's why you always see James Bond with that PPK and not a missle launcher. Shotgun and machine gun have their uses too, it's more about atmosphere.

Really, if you wanted to go on about realism, you're doing it in a world with aliens, teleporters, and creepy old guys in suits that appear randomly and check out guys from a distance.

I think you really hit it dead on here. Here is another point: Saving ammo. He wants to keep the more 'high powered' weapons like the shotty and the mp5 for when he really needs them...he doesn't want to end up in a firefight with no bullets.

As a gun nut, I've long gotten over people referring to a magazine as a clip. It's just not worth the argument. Now, the Suppressor/Silencer debate is.

No, Scott got it right, the HL pistol is a Glock (unless you're using the Hi-Def pack, in which case it's a Beretta M9)

No, Scott got it right, the HL pistol is a Glock (unless you're using the Hi-Def pack, in which case it's a Beretta M9)

I'm pretty sure he was talking about freeman not knowing anything about guns so he calls it a glock and thinks it has safety. Maybe it does because the officer in-built it? But there is dozens of background realistic situations that go whith the FM story line, like why there is a safety on a glock could be explained.

If it takes place after 2003, it could have an internal locking system, which could be mistaken for a safety by someone who knows very little about guns.

That and the fact that the shotgun and the submachine gun are terrible long range

Which is very wrong, go to a tir and shoot some of the weapons yourself and see.

You mean the shotgun is a good long range weapon? Mid-range i could totally believe you,but long range? My world just got turned upside-down...

But still i guess im right about the fact that it is easier to lift and aim a pistol than any of the other choices.

QUICK DRAW FTW

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

You mean the shotgun is a good long range weapon? Mid-range i could totally believe you,but long range? My world just got turned upside-down...

But still i guess im right about the fact that it is easier to lift and aim a pistol than any of the other choices.

QUICK DRAW FTW

It pretty much depends on the slugs not on the shotgun. In either way pistol will be even worse at aim .

You can get a better grip on the other weapons though.

How about we just all get pissed about the ridiculous ammount of guns and ammo he's carrying. There's no way he should be able to walk, let alone swim.

How about we just all get pissed about the ridiculous ammount of guns and ammo he's carrying. There's no way he should be able to walk, let alone swim.

It's the, uh, suit doing it.

Yeah, that's it...

The suit....

It's a very good suit...

Can be explained in two realiastic ways I know.

One is the light ammo box the other "astronauts" you see when on the alien world, are using, could have a neutral value of gravity inside therefore making the weapons easy to carry.

The second is he has the 9mm gun and the grenade and ammo strapped around the waist, the crowbar, crossbow, shotgun, mp5 on the back. The suit itself could be made out of a quantum material making it easier to move around.

Can be explained in two realiastic ways I know.

One is the light ammo box the other "astronauts" you see when on the alien world, are using, could have a neutral value of gravity inside therefore making the weapons easy to carry.

The second is he has the 9mm gun and the grenade and ammo strapped around the waist, the crowbar, crossbow, shotgun, mp5 on the back. The suit itself could be made out of a quantum material making it easier to move around.

A quantum material?

I don't think science works that way...

Quantum basically refers to just something that has a discrete quantity, as in, it isn't broken down further, like particles and whatnot.

It's not just a buzzword that makes something sound more science-y, although that's generally how it's used...

I'd say it's more reasonable that the suit just does the heavy lifting...

Basically I meant it is incredibly light and makes everything strapped to it lighter.

Yes, the Glock and the MP5 do indeed use the same rounds, if Wikipedia is taken to be accurate...

A submachine gun would be preferable to a pistol in any situation. It shoots faster, has a deeper magazine, and the main advantage is that not every shot has to count.

But assuming he could...

The glock thing is a total mistake that I feel like an idiot about. I have even less excuse since I've actually fired a glock .22 AND an MP5 at a range before (just one magazine for each) as part of a "student police academy" thing I did in college. The MP5 is an EXTREMELY smooth gun, I was amazed how little kick it had an how accurate it was. Unfortunately the game is different and makes the MP5 less accurate than the pistol, or it feels that way anyway.

I'm actually intentionally trying to tone down my aim to make Freeman less of a good shot than I normally am from FPSs to make it a tad more believable. Sometimes I forget however.

As for everything Freeman is carrying, I'm just going to ignore that. I'm trying to make the game seem less game-y and more realistic, but there are limits to what I can change.