About sending people to DC to put pressure on politicians

Sign in to follow this  

Ross mentions if he had a billion dollars, and people were going homeless his solution would be to send them to DC in order to try and make change. His plan is that having an effective shanty town set up there would put pressure on DC to make the necessary changes, and this alone somehow gets the job done. He specifically contrasted this with "the storming" of DC on Jan 6, saying how that's not what he had in mind. To me, this is fallacious thinking.

My question is: what is supposed to be the thing that happens that makes the politicians change their mind with a shanty town being set up? Exactly how does this play out in practice with each mechanism doing its part to make the change?

My take on this is that, at some point, matters are going to come to a head. SOMETHING and/or SOMEONE has to be forced in some way to do something, and it will be a noticeable force that isn't wishful thinking magically solving a problem. If these politicians hear someone say "well, we're going to send these people here just to set up a shanty town and nothing more" they know very well they can ignore the hell out of that, and very easily employ measures to make them leave. Another problem I have with this sort of thinking is that it seems to be in western thinking that no solution should involve sacrifice; i.e. the solution has to come for free or we should sit on our hands doing nothing and promote sloth. I have seen this sloth fallacy nonstop for years and years where people bitch and bitch about something but NEVER take action to solve a problem, especially if there's a sacrifice involved. Sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice. The concept is lost, certainly on Americans, and the entirety of Europe from what I've seen as well.

I'm kindof curious as to what he thinks of the whole 'storming the capitol' thing that occurred since that is in some regards more or less exactly what he wanted.  The capitol politicians certainly got pushed out of their comfort zone.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:24 AM, StrixLiterata said:

Not really: this was a clumsy attempt at a coup, the "hobo invasion" would have been more like a gigantic sit-in.

I wonder if the hobo invasion would spun as a coup as well

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

Considering how far the false-equivalence extends on every other subject in existence, it wouldn't be much of a surprise. These are the same people who call public healthcare a totalitarian dictatorship, after all.

8 hours ago, Shaddy said:

Considering how far the false-equivalence extends on every other subject in existence, it wouldn't be much of a surprise. These are the same people who call public healthcare a totalitarian dictatorship, after all.

Don't get me started on that. Here in Italy you can be visited by a doctor and receive medicines, tests and surgeries for free, and still people cry that "Big Medicine" is out to get us. It's like hearing a toddler throwing a tantrum because they don't want to take a bath.