Download vs Disk

Which Format Do You Prefer Your Games In?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Format Do You Prefer Your Games In?

• Download
    • Disk
    • Don't Care
    • Whichever is more convenient/cheaper

Sign in to follow this  

I just downloaded Metro 2033 off of Games on Demand since I couldn't get it at retail here, I haven't downloaded many games, but I do enjoy the convenience of not having to insert a disk. I generally prefer the safety and ability to marvel at a physical object among my library that a disk offers, but I will download a game when necessary or expedient. What do you prefer, a retail disk copy, or a downloaded digitally distributed copy of a game?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Download is the future, it is cheaper, longer lasting and completely environmentally friendly.

Even though I collected a lot of CD's/Dvd's at one time I know the future looks very dim for them. I have almost no DVD, CD disks left at home. They disappeared to me just like floppy disks, they had a good run but I knew in the end they would vanish.

The only purpose for DVD's/Blu Ray Disks right now is for whenever you want to conveniently watch a movie on a tv since the usb method doesn't work for the DVD player. ;)

The only problem would be the security of the game but trust me, in about 10 years or so, Disks will be ancient.

The Usb storage device will probably survive though, it has a faster file sharing speed, is very convenient, not too bad on the environment and long lasting but it is unlikely that games will be sold on it unless they make it very cheap.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I use Steam to download games, but for console/handheld, I buy through the interwebs, usually through Amazon. Now if a PC game is not on Steam then, IT HAS TO GO ON STEAM ASAP!!!!! but really, I then buy through Amazon or somewhere else.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

but I do enjoy the convenience of not having to insert a disk.
That's probably the smallest out of many conveniences for me
I generally prefer the safety and ability to marvel at a physical object among my library that a disk offers

I think there's less saftey with an actual disk. A disk can more easily be stolen than a Steam account, and if the disk breaks then you have no replacement.

But my favorite thing about Steam is the sales they have. I remember getting around $150 worth of games for about $57.

What I don't like is digital distribution via platforms I don't trust. Contemporarily this takes the form of "Every DDS that isn't Steam" because not all DDS allow for installation on multiple computers or have transferable permissions. Steam I trust and know has the ability to simply Install Steam, Login, and all the games you've ever purchased with Steam are ready to be installed.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I got the potato sack, I got the golden potato from that so I ended up with the valve complete pack(which included another copy of portal 2) and the potato sack $40 I think it was :D You don't stuff like that through brick stores.

Edit: Fixed.

Well your fourth option is what I chose, I'm cheap and don't like to spend money. It doesn't matter really the format that I obtain it as long as its a fun game.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Disks. Only download when there is no retail release for a certain game. But I have been thinking about switching over to downloads:

The main argument to choose disks over download is that you own the DVD and nobody can take away the data on it from you. Downloads depend on a remote server and if that remote server is not available and you experience a hard drive crash or do a reformat your bought copy of the game is lost forever. The disk's advantage is in reality a rarity nowadays. Most retail copies have malware on them that can make your copy useless with a killswitch (Limited activations for example.) and are also dependent on a remote server to work (Namely activation, and in Ubi games' cases activation during every single launch.). The only "market" where you aren't treated like crap for legally buying something is on piracy street. It is ironic that publishers always blame piracy when their agenda in reality is to gain control over people who use their products. Why else do they never release unprotected exes and libraries for games that are no longer profitable (After all, the critical sales period is only a few weeks or months after release.)?

I am waiting for the GOG idea to extend to the main market instead of focusing on old games. I would pre-order or buy my most anticipated game at full price if I knew they were completely DRM free. So would many people who are pirates today exactly because they know they will get a quality product unlike faithful buyers (Not including me though. I simply buy from bargain bins instead.).

The main argument to choose disks over download is that you own the DVD and nobody can take away the data on it from you. Downloads depend on a remote server and if that remote server is not available and you experience a hard drive crash or do a reformat your bought copy of the game is lost forever.

I feel the exact opposite. A DVD might not be stolen but it can easily break. I think it's more likely you'll break a disk than the Steam servers all failing and your hard drive crashing. And you can re-download your game when the servers come back online

I'm a fan of boxed copies of things, but I'm not adverse to downloading stuff either (I use both Steam and GoG for example).

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

A DVD might not be stolen but it can easily break.

Yes, if you do not take good care of them. They are safe in a box after all. I made it a rule to never loan my stuff to anyone. Especially not to friends.

If you want them to last longer then you should get rid of the disk check of the games you play or create an iso image of the disk and mount it.

I still got my copies of Quake, Quake 2, Hexen 2, etc. and the data on them is fully intact despite some scratches here and there (At the age of 10 I really had no clue how to treat disks right.).

Disc here, im a collector and i like to have the disc instead of a downloaded game. I only download arcade titles from Xbox Live. None of my games have fingerprints and scratches i use powderless rubber gloves to handle them. Im a little OCD

Begone the fools that lead me I need not to know accept reclining spirit I need to endure You try to live a lifetime each and every day In this short time of promise you're a memory

Disc here, im a collector and i like to have the disc instead of a downloaded game. I only download arcade titles from Xbox Live. None of my games have fingerprints and scratches i use powderless rubber gloves to handle them. Im a little OCD

Just a little.

Well maybe a tad to much lol :ugeek::?

Begone the fools that lead me I need not to know accept reclining spirit I need to endure You try to live a lifetime each and every day In this short time of promise you're a memory

Even with fingerprints and a dense jungle of scratches my Quake 2 and Hexen 2 CDs can still be read perfectly by my disk drive.

When it comes to computers I generally find older stuff more durable. The HDD in my old Win 3.1 system is still doing its job after 20 years of service. Whenever my disk drive can't read a disk I often have success with an older drive, and older games seem to be kept on more durable disks.