Source Filmmaker

Sign in to follow this  

Yeah, so I saw the Source Filmmaker today and I tought "Maybe this is what Ross was needing and is finally out!" I now that he's already chose another engine but maybe he should give it a try once its out, it look really nice and their videos are always awesome. What do you guys think?

-Yeah, hi! I'm PapaFrita, I'm from Argentina and always read the forums, but never registered, and well, that's it. Bye!-

I think that the Source Filmmaker is the way to go. From what I've seen, it's one of the best combinations of easy to use and robust on the market - it may be speed up Ross' work dramatically.

Why don't you go pop over to the welcome thread for an occult agriculture hug?

And I'm really interested in what Ross thinks of this.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

This is an awesome time to announce this because I really need something like this for a project I can work on in my Creative Tech courses. I want to make this as experimental and as fun as possible! :D

I just... I don't even...

I'm going to make a post with some news on stuff probably tomorrow, I'll talk more about it then. The short version is that I'm skeptical as to how functional this will be outside of a TF2 environment and if it has anything to offer over UDK.

Well it's called Source Filmmaker, not 'TF2 Trailer Filmmaker'. I'd wager you could run any number of Source maps and models. Maybe not even just the official stuff. How cool would it be to use non-Valve models ported to Source with this?

Also, I get what the OP was thinking, but this topic would be more suited for the Valve Stuff section. (which, coincedentally, already exists in that section, too. Might wanna merge 'em)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

This is an awesome breakthrough from Valve software and it would be an honor to see this incorporated into Civil Protection.

I just... I don't even...

I'm going to make a post with some news on stuff probably tomorrow, I'll talk more about it then. The short version is that I'm skeptical as to how functional this will be outside of a TF2 environment and if it has anything to offer over UDK.

The video showed that it was used to create the trailers for Portal 2, Dota 2 and L4D2, so I think it can really be applied to any Source assets.

also meet the pyro using that maker (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I ) Heh... I suggest there are no changes to the Engine, so it may merely improve Ross' efficiency on FM:S. But who am I to judge :). I bet Ross is determined to UDK by now. It's hard to believe that Valve has released epic greatness and salvation to Civil Protection as Source project. Any way I'm looking forward to hear from Ross, his plans, and personal opinion on this matter :) AFAIK he's the Boss in proper machinima-making-thing. His opinion counts big time.

ps Does anybody know why doesn't he has a team or crew?

----------ADDED-----------

After I've watched the trailer to the maker, I must take my words back. It just may be the right tool after all, in case of animating. Usually it's a trip between many programs with constant import/export and bugs along the way.

FAQ say's that it is being released for "TF2 World" only.

"Q. What can people do with the SFM?

The SFM allows a storyteller to create an entire movie on location inside the video game world of Team Fortress 2. Movies exported with the SFM can be uploaded to the web or shared like any normal movie file."

"If you're interested in making movies and games in parallel, sign up for an SFM beta key and start shooting your movie on location inside the world of TF2 today. "

http://sourcefilmmaker.com/

http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/faq/

FAQ say's that it is being released for "TF2 World" only.

"Q. What can people do with the SFM?

The SFM allows a storyteller to create an entire movie on location inside the video game world of Team Fortress 2".

It could theoretically be modded for the Half-Life 2 world.

Heh... I suggest there are no changes to the Engine, so it may merely improve Ross' efficiency on FM:S.
It would fix some major problems with recording and open up animation options. Unfortunately I'm not sure Freeman's Mind would be compatible at all with this, because either HL:S would have to be recreated inside TF2, or else the code would have to be adapted to HL:S.

Heh... I suggest there are no changes to the Engine, so it may merely improve Ross' efficiency on FM:S.
It would fix some major problems with recording and open up animation options. Unfortunately I'm not sure Freeman's Mind would be compatible at all with this, because either HL:S would have to be recreated inside TF2, or else the code would have to be adapted to HL:S.

I was thinking this utility might be more useful for Civil Protection rather than Freeman's Mind, especially considering it appears you can adjust animations on the fly in the utility. It might help to fix the animation issues you've mentioned in the past.

Still, this is assuming it can be used with something other than TF2.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Still, this is assuming it can be used with something other than TF2.
See that was my first thought. TF2 doesn't have NPC manipulation entities the way HL2 does, so I thought even with imported content, this would still have significant limitations. After seeing the puppeteering video however, I think that completely changes what could be done with it, so it makes it much more viable. I still consider UDK a smart move regardless, but Source has the advantage of more assets ready to go, more mapping talent, and I have a lot of experience with it. Assuming things work as they should, that only leaves potential lighting issues and model importing / exporting compatibility as the main obstacles in Source. Regardless, it's something worth considering now.