Music General

I figured we could use another "megathread" kinda thing seeing as how this section is rather lacking in content.

Before you cry "DUPLICATE" or "MERGE", please read the entirety of the OP

Upon using the wonderful search tool, I found that we have about 38 music related threads, but most of them were more specific threads, focused on things likes "What instruments do you play" and "What genres do you like".

All these music threads are made to die after a week to a few months. Rather than making discussion like that go to waste, why not discuss it in a more general thread?

So go right on ahead, say what music-related stuff is on your mind. Just remember that there's still the currently active "what are you listening to" thread and this thread doesn't replace that one.

the name's riley

Ever had this happen to you? You're listening to Black Sabbath, (or some other obviously metal band) but it's too quiet for others to hear clearly, and someone says to someone else that you're "listening to foreign music"? I did this morning... The persons involved in the conversation only listen to ultra-conservative christian music though, so I can't completely blame them for not recognizing the artist, but "foreign music"? WTF?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ever had this happen to you? You're listening to Black Sabbath, (or some other obviously metal band) but it's too quiet for others to hear clearly, and someone says to someone else that you're "listening to foreign music"? I did this morning... The persons involved in the conversation only listen to ultra-conservative christian music though, so I can't completely blame them for not recognizing the artist, but "foreign music"? WTF?

Well they're correct with it being unknown to them.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

@BTGBullseye: On account of 'Sabbath being a UK group, they are technically correct... I'm sure, though, you are a bloody royalist for them now :-)

@Username: yes, wouldn't it be nice if people actually *discussed* music? As in why they like something or not instead of just stating what they like and stopping there? This kind of thing normally doesn't seem to happen...

Regards

If said metal band just so happens to be Rammstein, that's (clearly) excusable. But Black Sabbath?

lol no.

the name's riley

I don't listen to metal much personally. More of an electronic type myself.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

@Username: yes, wouldn't it be nice if people actually *discussed* music? As in why they like something or not instead of just stating what they like and stopping there? This kind of thing normally doesn't seem to happen...

I'll touch on that... Most people don't discuss it because the reasons for liking or disliking a style of music usually would fall under the category of "politically incorrect" and many times could be insulting to certain ethnic or religious groups.

I like ultra heavy dark metal because it's kinda like committing suicide, only without the dying part. (in other words, it helps make life go away for a while)

I like electronic for it's relation to 8-bit music. (8-bit is the grandparent, electronic is the grandchild, and dubsep is the infant lovechild of electronic and every other genre)

I like dubstep for the above reason, and generally like all forms of it if it's done well.

I like certain country music. (not the repeated stupid lyric "blues-like" love songs, the good stuff)

I like blues. (not the jazz that claims to be blues, real blues)

I like certain types of jazz. (not the stuff that claims to be blues, as previously stated)

I like some rap. (not the stuff that's all about making money at the cost of everyone and everything else)

I like the rare few R&B (that's modern blues to the lay people) that isn't trying to be jazz.

I like classical. (can't beat a good Beethoven or Tchaikovski for getting an emotion transmitted through your ears)

I'll listen to classic rock or oldies all day, any day. (grew up with it, even got a decent Bon Jovi concert when my Mom was at 8 months, always makes me feel at home)

I can't stand pop music. (meaningless fluff that only makes 13 year old girls feel anything, and usually because they don't have a brain yet)

Can't stand any of the demonic/witchcraft lyric songs. (even if I can't understand the lyrics, and have no idea, it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end)

No feelings either way about songs that focus on murder or mutilation. (don't ask why, I don't have a clue)

Don't care for songs solely focused on sex, cheating on a significant other, or rape. (just feels like listening to them is too close to doing the deed)

Rather like songs that focus on drug use. (generally the songs were written under the influence, and that tends to improve the mood by a lot)

I like suicide songs. (makes me feel like I'm not alone in wanting it all to end if it won't get better)

I feel like I'm missing some, so feel free to ask about anything else related that you are wondering about.

**DISCLAIMER**

I am not suicidal. It's selfish, and makes your life amount to nothing. Go lose your life in a meaningful way if you're dead-set to do it. (like suicide by saving a bunch of troops in combat, or by assaulting a rapist in-the-act)

8-bit is the grandparent

But the real origins of electronic were analogue - and the most sweet-sounding, at that!

Actually, I can't stand what is called electronic now - just don't get it. The steroidal, monotonously programmed beat makes me want to find the programmer and knock his head about the wall in rhythm with his creation... :mrgreen:

Maybe I have missed the good ones somehow, but I doubt it - every time I try a sample it sounds the same to me.

Rap I do not consider music at all - it is more like limericks or Russian chastushki v poetry. I can see it can be fun, I guess, but I won't spend any of my time on that...

Metal is not my thing either. Very cliched, too loud to follow what's going on and why are they all screaming, anyway? :-)

Blues I do like, as also some spirituals. There would have been no rock music without blues. I like some blues-rock too, very much, actually.

I'm ambivalent about jazz - too much meandering improvisation while still managing to use many musical cliches, however, the musicianship can be very good...

When I first started consciously forming opinion about music and genres I preferred what we called "hard-rock" - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Queen, Uriah Heep, you know. Also Beatles, a little bit Stones. But there was something missing all the time. It was when I first heard "art rock" (mostly known as "progressive") something clicked in my head - that's was the thing I was looking for.

That is what I still listen to the most. Not all of it good but a lot of it is. From there I also explored some psychedelic, folk-, blues- etc rock and stuff that is difficult to fit into one category. So, in general my listening repertoir is pretty diverse.

Also like classicals - up until the middle of XXth century. I think that British prog rock took over the baton from there in many ways.

As far as lyrics are concerned - I am trying to ignore the meaning of songs as much as possible. When I listen to music I prefer to think of something I want at that particular moment and not necessarily follow some mundane broken heart story or something. Vocals are like another instrument for me then. There are exceptions though. Also, in works where the story is important (like JC Superstar or, now, Curly's Airships) I follow the lyrics as well.

So, I see, in some ways we are similar but in others...

Can you tell me about that electronics stuff - what is it that attracts you in it? I have a feeling I am missing something as so many people seem to like it a lot. I'd like to understand more, if possible...

Regards

The electronic aspect just reminds me of 8-bit and 16-bit music... Also, it reminds me of when my Dad wrote the entire 1812 Overture in GW-BASIC. (you could play notes for specific durations in Basic, so he did that to pass the time one week, still have the code laying around on an old 5.25" floppy somewhere) Similar resultant sounds to my ear.

So it's more about the sound of the instruments rather than the musical metrics and structure?

For example, would you consider this within "electronic" or this?

The last one actually has an analogue synth built into the drum kit, but it sounds pretty 8-bit to me :-)

Speaking about that drum kit - the drums were made of stainless steel 0.25" thick and it weighed some 2,500kg - no wonder the group went bust soon after!

http://www.brain-salad-surgery.de/carl_palmers_gear.html

Regards

Actually, I wouldn't consider either to fall into the electronic genre... Or even all that close. (classic rock is always classic rock even if it has elements that started the electronic genre) Sounds way too different.

Not bad music though...

Well, I've spent some time (and put my sanity at risk, all for science!) and listened to some of that music.

I now know that there are things like drum'n'bass, house, dubstep, with multiple substyles, each of which has a dedicated following of purists arguing between themselves about the superiority of this or that style and substyle.

I have to say that all that totally eludes me and the differences I could detect between, say, 2-step garage and progressive house are much smaller than one could find in one Genesis song, for example.

My hypothesis, therefore, is that there are 2 fundamentally different mechanisms of perception of music in our brains - one I would call repetitive-resonating and the other rhythmic-esthetic.

The former focuses on repetition of a rhythmic pattern, inducing trance-like detachment from reality and suppressing conscious thought, interspersed with "withdrawal shocks" from "drops". I suspect that it is the same mechanism that works in the African tribal chants and rites.

The latter, on the opposite, is activated by what is more traditionally considered "music" - a variable combination of rhythm and melody with or without vocal component. That provides brain with information, which stimulates both emotional and analytical thinking processes.

It's almost like the first one is directed at the peripheral nervous system and the second one - at the CNS.

Some people must have one mechanism more prevalent than the other, some, perhaps, can switch between the two.

Consider this:

pIzmkGp7Thk

v this:

1aCZGM6z9Ls

(incidentally, the second example is about a record-breaking run of the fastest ever steam locomotive and the East Coast here is British, not the US East Cost - need to listen to it 2 - 3 times to get all the nuance).

I am not trying to say that one is "better" than the other, but rather that they are totally different, probably incompatible.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Very well thought out, and very logical deductions... I don't think each targets a different system, but each is supposed to create endorphins in the brain, endorphins cause faster brain processing, and the net result is that people generally feel like they're smarter when listening to music.

http://kdvr.com/2013/09/11/study-listening-to-music-while-studying-could-enhance-intelligence/

Keep in mind that the music affects people differently, so stuff like the "science, humanities, and language" audio (I refuse to call it music) may not work for you, but might be substitute for other genres based on your appreciations.

Oh, that is enough to put me off humanities and languages! But science? Science goes with maths, always did - shame on Spotify "scientists" for not knowing that simple fact. :-)

Regards

lol, I agree... Science and math always seemed to go together for me to...

I find classic rock to be best when trying to find solutions to problems I am having trouble fully understanding, and dubstep/electronica to be most beneficial when writing/composing text or just thinking in logical ways. (or for being fast but precise in actions, like getting a record speed for an RV oil change at the shop I was working at) Clint Mansell composes epic relaxation music, so I generally listen to that when I want to sleep or just think and process the events of the day without becoming lost in them. (it helps keep me from dwelling on what I could've done differently) Pink Floyd piques my creativity, and helps me to make sense of political actions, and also keeps me from being suicidal when I feel like it. Pop music makes me homicidal toward whoever put it on.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that they aren't ever affected by music, everyone is even if they refuse to admit it. (many are affected differently though, so find out what makes you tick on your own)

For me - it's silence when I need to concentrate. Long time ago I realised I cannot drive a car with the stereo on. If I didn't like the music - it was annoying and distracted me from driving, if I liked the music - I would listen to it and forget about the road...

Regards

See, everyone is affected differently.

There was a study a while back from Popular Science, said that the slower the beat for the music, the slower you're likely to drive, and interestingly enough, the more likely you are to get into an accident. (if you listen to music while driving that is)

I'm a huge fan of electronic music, mostly because of the incredible variety of sound that one can make with it, as there are no instrumental limitations when you're working with a computer program and midi. But I also love my rock. As the name shows, I find Collective Soul to be one of the greatest bands of their generation. I typically enjoy classic rock bands (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy) but modern bands can often strike up a jiggy song and hook me. I love Imagine Dragons, though they're like Indie Rock / Folk / Pop. I rarely like Pop songs, but some of them catch my eye, like Royals by Lorde. Country music is okay in short blips or if you're hanging with the right people (Cecil county rednecks are some of the best folks out there). Rap is generally garbage that I don't even consider to be music. Classical is always appreciatable and every once in a while, I like to sit down to some Tchaikovsky (my favorite Romantic artist), because Romantic era music, while it doesn't make you wanna get up and shake dat ass, encapsulates emotion more effectively than any other genre, IMO. Jazz is awesome (Might be a bit biased seeing as I play the saxophone). I enjoy listening to Dino and Frankie, but I also love Michael Buble, as his voice is incredibly suited for the genre and he has a very contemporary style. Blues music is nice. And the Wild Card favorite genre of mine is Irish Folk Music. Pick up a Fiddle and a Recorder and I'll be as happy as a dog with a bone.

I think that sums up everything I think of music. It's wonderful and an essential part of life to me, right with Food and Water and Sex.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

So you play sax? I don't but I love that instrument. And not only in Jazz (Sydney Bechet is probably my favourite player) but I think it's an essential Rock instrument too - just listen to Mel Collins (King Crimson, Camel, Caravan) or David Jackson (VdGG).

Regards

I mainly listen to electronic music also, but also like to blend it in with some pop stuff too. (Not all of it is as terrible as people say.)

If you want to know specific artists check my Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Trickiert

On the subject of instruments I've had a recent interest in learning piano, I probably won't have time presue that for awhile however seen as I don't really have the time right now. :/