What is gaming to you?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is gaming to you?

• A Hobby
    • A Sport
    • A Toy
    • An Artform

Sign in to follow this  

Got to thinking about the difference between the types of gamers. Some see gaming as a competitive sport. Some see it as a way to relax. I personally, see it mostly as a budding artform like film was in the early 20th century.

What do you think?

I'd have to say a hobby and artform. As much as it disgusts me to be put in the same group as Extra Credits I have to say I see a lot of artistic things that can be done with video games and artistic games like Killer7 and BioShock really back this argument, and Unreal which is basically you just walking around a giant piece of art.

And also video games are a ton of fun.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Artform and hobby. Though I can not easily distinguish the difference between 'hobby' and 'toy' in the poll.

You know you are into the art in games when your screenshots folder has over 1000 files and it takes you 5 minutes to decide the right angle and situation for the shot.

you just walking around a giant piece of art.

Ah, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Morrowind is a great sight seeing tour as well, so many fine details have been put into the world.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

As a verb, right? Of course there is art IN games, but that's not the same thing as gaming. Walking around in a museum isn't art, so hobby works for fine me.

But in the same way that some arts are martial, I acknowledge that there must be games out there that require so much experience and precision to handle that the ability alone to play them might be considered an art. I just haven't encountered one yet.

gaming is like Jello Pudding. No! Actually it's more like kodak film.No! Actually gaming is like the new Coke. It will be around forever

Ha ha ha

I hope atleast some one will get this.... :|

Games in of themselves are not art, but there is art in games. It's always important to remember that games are not made solely to show off artwork and graphics, but also to use that art in order to pull the player into the game, so in the end, games are just a form of interactive entertainment, and the art is means to an end, not the end itself.

Games are a platform for art, such as music and visual art, but games will never be art.

To me personally, it's a hobby, something to pass the time.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Hobby, with certain multiplayer games becoming an interactive artform... Can't argue with that when you watch videos of cool multiplayer strategies/moves on YT.

However, modding/hacking games is most definitely an artform IMO.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Games in of themselves are not art, but there is art in games. It's always important to remember that games are not made solely to show off artwork and graphics, but also to use that art in order to pull the player into the game, so in the end, games are just a form of interactive entertainment, and the art is means to an end, not the end itself.

Games are a platform for art, such as music and visual art, but games will never be art.

To me personally, it's a hobby, something to pass the time.

Would you say that film is an artform? Art is relative, but when I see a game that I would call art, I'm not just looking at the visuals or the music, or anything traditionally called art within the game. I'm looking at the way the game uses it's interactivity to move the player emotionally. The very definition of art is to purposefully arrange something in a nature as to have an impact on the viewer. I'd say many games achieve this wonderfully.

Of course, not all games are art. Games are a changing industry. Calling Super Meat Boy or Duke Nukem art would be like calling the early motion pictures of people sneezing art.

I agree.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"