Music frustration

Sign in to follow this  

I'm so tired of all this DMCA shit. Good luck with all your future work and I think a music section on the site would be great! Graeme Norgate and all the TimeSplitters stuff is great!

Arr! Cap'n Scott was hung drawn and quartered for piratin' unwanted game music. Tis a crying shame. What manner of injustice be in this world that won't let a pirate pirate I ask thee?

But seriously, the reason the "tube" in "you tube" is covered in red is all the red tape. Stay strong cap'n. With a leader like yourself, your faithful crew has nothing ta fear. Arr.

so, I don't really understand the problem... if you contact the composers and get express permission to use their work you can respond to any youtube takedowns and get it reinstated almost instantly.

some work like you mentioned sure it will be impossible to contact the original creator. But much much more will be available from other sources.

Hey Ross

I've seen this problem before in other practical music uses

If you want to use the music but it's not legit you need to find the original composer

But the composer might sold the track copy right to another game company (Ex. Valve)

So if you want to use the music you'll have to contact the company that owns the track

They might not let you use the track, so you can make a deal with them.

You can do some marketing favors for them in your videos in exchange they will let you to

use some track, it might be a good bussines.

They might not get along with all of this but if not then you can make music

yourself or think on some other tricks

Belive me I am a music FREAK myself so I know couple of things about this (a lot of things about this)

If you have been using some of Valve tracks then it would be a good thing to get their attention

if that's one thing you MIGHT want

Just keep doing the CP and FM and it's cool with everyone

Maybie if you lie low they wount spot but I don't know

Craig Kesicke? Is that the Craig Kesicke who collaborates on the awesome 'Wrong Lot' series on Machinima.com? If so, cool!

grr evil companies stopping amazing videos why do they have to be so uptight

hey ross

i've been a fan of your work for quite some time now, i love Civil Protection and Freeman's Mind.

i had a friend who had all of his videos flaged for sound on youtube for use of lisenced music (also an oldies freak like you).

so what he did was go to newgrounds.com and look at the audio portal.

the compositors there are quite skilled, though sometimes it is difficult to find what you need.

the best part is that the audio portal is made for use of the community.

and if you need confirmation from the compositor you can always just PM him and get an answer very quickly.

so you don't have to waste your time on the lisence crap with youtube.

hope this helped.

Ross, I saw this before and I have to second it: The Newgrounds Audio Portal has soooo many original tracks it would make your head spin. I'm pretty damn sure if you just did some digging you could find anything you could possibly need. Newgrounds is really strict with letting copyrighted materials through the portal as well (ex: making a Sonic the Hedgehog song remix would be fine, but including any of the original sounds from the game would get you banned from submitting to the portal.)

And the authors of the tracks are usually really good about allowing their music into projects without hassle or anything at all. I have a bunch of songs on there and the only thing I ask when someone wishes to use a song of mine would be a link to where they are using it and when. I'm pretty sure people would compose for you at the drop of a hat if you needed something that Kesicke couldn't provide.

I still feel for you though, getting 'cockblocked' in the middle of something you had going for you really catches you off guard and discourages the best of us.

i can't believe i read all of that @_@

ross if youtube gives you too much truble why not post the vids here?

make your own vid section whare we can can watch your awsome vids. captin lark

If you need some help with a couple of bits of composing then I might be able to help you out after a couple of months when I get access to the software. I can throw together some rock/metal type stuff, some simple ambient stuff and even take a crack at pretty much anything else except for hip hop style stuff (I have serious objections to rap.) But yeah, if there's anything I can do just give me a shout and I'll see if I can give it a try.

It seems that we have some things in common.

Ross: take your time. Your true fans are utmostly patient.

This may sound dumb. But have you tried WeGame.com?

WeGame wouldn't be his style, it's more like a youtube version of xfire videos, its really for uploading game footage and not something you'd do to a series like FM or CP, plus it wouldn't feel right...

Shame about youtube and their shoddy "One Rule Covers All" policy, bastards... They should be more focused on the zillions of trolls that troll youtube and ban their silly accounts ....

Have to give them credit though for even stopping the most obscure sound tracks from popping up...

Well, you could potentially do something similar to what has been done for the music in "Homestuck" (the "web-comic" by Andrew Hussie). If I'm not mistaken his fans compose random music for him to use in the series. There's probably a few people in your community who would be willing to help, though I'm mostly unaware of the number of fans you have (let alone ones that have a decent amount of talent in music, who are also willing to lend you a hand)... But, if it's feasible, the only real problem would be sorting through all of the music until you find something suitable.

Alternatively... You could stick to the public domain . I'm sure Freeman would thoroughly enjoy listening to "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" all the time .

A pox on DMCA, that hellspawn of copyright fundamentalism, the culture-industrial cousin of the market fundamentalism which nearly destroyed the planetary economy.

Don't let it get you down. This is a battle which we digital commoners will be fighting for years and decades to come, but it's a battle we will eventually win.

Man, this is really horrible. Sorry to stack up on the comments you read, but I COMPLETELY understand

and relate to your interests in this 100%. I have hundreds of tracks on my system and probably eighty

percent of them are Soundtracks and Scores from a very wide variety of Games (game modifications),

Films and television Series, lots of them old. Because I envision whole worlds and pictures by listening

to music that was designed to play out as a scene. I don't in the least envy being in your situation. This

is a real nightmare. I know what it's like being restricted from something even the most specific. One

day I'll release that own dang machinima of mind and just be glad I could use the songs. I'm really gutted

it had to happen like this. I agree with almost everyone here, I'm a big soundtrack freak and I wish you

the best.

Okay, for one thing at least as you already brought up, you DON'T need to remove the Civil Protection

Quake theme because it nowhere near lasts the duration of the original track and you can just as easily

file it under 'Fair Use' with its eight second length. There's seriously no risk in that. I just really don't want

you to have to go so far as to change it, unless you have a better one in mind, of course.

Jecalux90: Completely agree.

Marcase: I can upload it to you if you want. I got it off the old blogspot site when the episode was out

years ago so that link might still work.

Anonymous at 06:07:28: Agree. I actually remember that EVE video, though I'm not sure it was official.

It was real awesome, though I can understand muting whole, un-interrupted tracks since people can

download and save YouTube media, making it like a site of illegal transfer. I totally respect the artist's

choice of wanting purchase for it (unlike SOME people) and it's a serious problem that loses jobs in

some cases, but Ross's situation seems totally fair and I can really relate to it. It's so hard to keep

track of things like these.Though the biggest downfall would be having TOO MUCH music to choose

from.

Citizen: Hearing more people like you talk makes me realize I'm a lot more normal than I initially thought.

Katana: You've already succeeded, haven't you? A large community on just your YouTube account?

I certainly follow a lot of your projects and I thank you for your tutorials.

mikemcn: Heh, you realise that doesn't work when you have music written in other country's laws? And

absolutely everything comes from those countries?

Anonymous at 16:18:26: Jeez man, learn to read. Nobody said anything of the sort. Purely the opposite.

Woah, sorry for yapping on!

You could always use GCFScape or some other such program on games you already own. The creators have already made money on the game and its content, so extracting and using them should be fine, as you already own them. Finding the soundtracks takes a little digging though.