Count to 1,000,000

1821 - The United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.

Mexico gains its independence from Spain following the Mexican War of Independence.

Panama declares independence from Spain, joining Gran Colombia.

The Dominican Republic declares independence from Spain.

The Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland begins to erupt.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

1823 - The congress of Central America declares absolute independence from Spain, Mexico, and any other foreign nation, including North America, and a Republican system of government is established.

Joseph Smith, Jr. claimed in 1838 that on this day he had first come to the place where the Golden plates were stored, having been directed there by God through an angel.

According to tradition, William Webb Ellis invents the sport of Rugby football at Rugby School in England.

James Monroe first introduces the Monroe Doctrine in the State of the Union Address, declaring that any European attempts to recolonize the Americas would be considered a hostile act towards the United States.

Olbers' paradox is described by the German astronomer Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers. (though there is a good comeback to the argument... God created everything, but the light just hasn't had enough time to reach us yet)

1825 - Iceland is discovered to be more green than Greenland causing the namers to bang their heads against walls until they slip into a coma.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

1827 - The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad in America offering commercial transportation of both people and freight.

Freedom's Journal, the first African-American owned and published newspaper in the United States, is founded in New York City by John Russwurm.

The Royal Netherlands Navy's British-built paddle steamer Curaçao makes the first Transatlantic Crossing by steam, from Hellevoetsluis to Paramaribo.

Romanian inventor Petrache Poenaru receives a French patent for the invention of the first fountain pen with a replaceable ink cartridge.

Kingdom of Hawaii: The Catholic Diocese of Honolulu is founded.

Joseph Smith, Jr. claimed in 1838 that on this day he had taken the Golden plates from the place where they were stored, and that he began writing down the Book of Mormon from them the following December.

Russo-Persian War, 1826-1828: The Russians under Ivan Paskevich storm Yerevan, ending a millennium of Muslim domination in Eastern Armenia.

Greek War of Independence – Battle of Navarino: British, French, and Russian naval forces destroy the Turko-Egyptian fleet in Greece. This is the last naval action to be fought under sail alone.

Englishman John Walker invents the first friction match which he names Lucifer.

Ludwig van Beethoven dies.

1829 - Felix Mendelssohn performs St Matthew Passion. The success of this performance sparks a revival of interest in the music of Johann Sebastian Bach.

Felix Mendelssohn pays his first visit to Britain. This includes the first London performance of his concert overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream and his trip to Fingal's Cave.

Passage of the Catholic Relief Act by Parliament of the United Kingdom granting a substantial measure of Catholic Emancipation in Britain and Ireland.

The patent for an instrument called the accordion is applied for by Cyrill Demian.

Joseph Smith claims to receive the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist.

Robert Peel's Metropolitan Police Act establishes the Metropolitan Police Service in London, the first modern police force. The first officers, known by the nicknames "bobbies" or "peelers", go on patrol on September 29

George Shillibeer begins operating the first bus service in London.

In the United States, William Burt obtains the first patent for a form of typewriter.

The last of the Bounty mutineers dies at Pitcairn Island.

Levi Strauss (namesake of the clothing item company) is born.

William Booth, the founder of The Salvation Army is born.

Geronimo is born.

Geronimo turns 1 years old

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.

- Karl Pilkington

1831 - William Lloyd Garrison begins publishing The Liberator, an antislavery newspaper, in Boston, Massachusetts.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is first published by Victor Hugo.

The French Foreign Legion is founded.

American Baptist minister William Miller preaches his first sermon on the Second Advent of Christ in Dresden, New York, launching the Advent Movement in the United States.

USA: Nat Turner's slave rebellion breaks out in Southampton County, Virginia.

Battle of Warsaw: The Russians take the Polish capital and crush resistance.

Slave trading is forbidden in Brazil.

After a bloody battle with the military causing 600 casualties, rebellious silkworkers seize Lyon, France, beginning the First Canut Revolt.

Charles Darwin embarks on his historic voyage aboard HMS Beagle.

Gramercy Park is deeded to New York City.

George Pullman, inventor of the Pullman Sleeping Car (train car), is born.

Philip Sheridan, namesake of the M551 tank, is born.

1833 - A very spectacular occurrence of the Leonid meteor shower is observed all over North America, and was the inspiration for the song "Stars Fell on Alabama".

A major 8.7 earthquake strikes Sumatra.

The dawn of biochemistry: The first enzyme, diastase, is discovered by Anselme Payen.