Count to 1,000,000

1885 - the year Doc Brown gets sent back to.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

1888 - The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.

The Brighton Beach Hotel in Coney Island is moved 520 feet using six steam locomotives by civil engineer B. C. Miller to save it from ocean storms.

The Texas State Capitol building, completed at a cost of 3 million dollars, opens to the public in Austin.

In Brazil, the Lei Áurea abolishes the last remnants of slavery.

Handel's Israel in Egypt is recorded onto wax cylinder at The Crystal Palace in London, the earliest known recording of classical music.

Frank Edward McGurrin, a court stenographer from Salt Lake City, Utah, purportedly the only person using touch typing at this time, wins a decisive victory over Louis Traub in a typing contest held in Cincinnati, Ohio. This date can be called the birthday of the touch typing method that is widely used now.

The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes an act that permits bicycles on the road, on condition that they are equipped with a bell that should be rung while on the carriageway. This rule is eventually abolished in 1930.

Berta Benz arrives in Pforzheim, having driven 40 miles (64 km) from Mannheim in a car manufactured by her husband Karl Benz, thus completing the first "long-distance" drive in the history of the automobile.

Whitechapel murders: The body of London prostitute Martha Tabram is found, a possible victim of Jack the Ripper.

The longest date in roman numerals (VIII-XXVIII-MDCCCLXXXVIII)

Whitechapel murders: The mutilated body of London prostitute Mary Ann Nichols is found. She is considered the first victim of Jack the Ripper.

Whitechapel murders: The mutilated body of London prostitute Annie Chapman is found. She is considered to be the second victim of Jack the Ripper.

Whitechapel murders: The 'Dear Boss letter' signed "Jack the Ripper", the first time the name is used, is received by London's Central News Agency.

Whitechapel murders: The bodies of London prostitutes Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes, the latter mutilated, are found. They are generally considered Jack the Ripper's third and fourth victims, respectively.

The Washington Monument officially opens to the general public in Washington, D.C.

Louis Le Prince films the first motion picture: Roundhay Garden Scene in Roundhay, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, two seconds and 18 frames in length (followed by his movie Leeds Bridge).

United States presidential election, 1888: Democratic Party incumbent Grover Cleveland wins the popular vote, but loses the Electoral College vote to Republican challenger Benjamin Harrison, therefore losing the election.

Whitechapel murders: The mutilated body of London prostitute Mary Jane Kelly is found. She is considered to be the fifth, and last, of Jack the Ripper's victims. A number of similar murders in England follow, but the police attribute them to copy-cat killers.

Celebration of Thanksgiving (United States) and the first day of Hanukkah coincide.

During a bout of mental illness (and having quarreled with his friend Paul Gauguin), Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh infamously cuts off the lower part of his own left ear in a brothel and is removed to the local hospital in Arles.

Susan B. Anthony organizes a Congress for Women's Rights in Washington, D.C.

President of the United States Grover Cleveland declares the Chinese "impossible of assimilation with our people and dangerous to our peace and welfare".

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

1890 - Alice Sanger becomes the first female staffer in the White House.

The Sleeping Beauty (ballet) with music by Tchaikovsky is premiered at the Imperial Mariinsky Theatre in St Petersburg, Russia.

The United Mine Workers of America is founded.

Nellie Bly completes her round-the-world journey in 72 days.

The longest bridge in Britain, the Forth Bridge (8,296 ft) in Scotland, is opened.

Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh moves to Auvers-sur-Oise on the edge of Paris in the care of Dr Paul Gachet where he will produce around seventy paintings in as many days.

The United States Census Bureau begins using Herman Hollerith's tabulating machine to tabulate census returns using punched card input, a landmark in the history of computing hardware. Hollerith's company eventually becomes IBM.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde published by Philadelphia-based Lippincott's Monthly Magazine (dated July).

Canadian-born boxer George Dixon defeats the British bantamweight champion in London, giving him claim to be the first black world champion in any sport.

The Sherman Antitrust Act and Sherman Silver Purchase Act become United States law.

Idaho is admitted as the 43rd U.S. state.

Wyoming is admitted as the 44th U.S. state.

First recorded use of lime-green to describe a color.

Death of Vincent van Gogh: van Gogh apparently shoots himself, dying two days later.

At Auburn Prison in New York, William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed in the electric chair.

The first brief flight of Clément Ader's steam-powered fixed-wing aircraft Ader Éole takes place in Satory, France. It flies uncontrolled approximately 50 m (160 ft) at a height of 20 cm, the first take-off of a powered airplane solely under its own power.

In Washington, D.C., the Daughters of the American Revolution is founded.

The first deep level London Underground (Tube) Railway named the City and South London Railway opens officially.

In West Point, New York, the United States Navy defeats the United States Army 24–0 in the first Army–Navy Game.

Hunkpapa Lakota leader Sitting Bull killed on Standing Rock Indian Reservation.

Wounded Knee Massacre: At Wounded Knee, South Dakota, a Native American camp, the U.S. 7th Cavalry Regiment tries to disperse the non-violent "Ghost-Dance" which was promised to usher in a new era of power and freedom to Native Americans but was feared as a potential rallying tool for violent rebellion by some in the U.S. government. Shooting begins, and 153 Lakota Sioux and 25 troops are killed; about 150 flee the scene. This was the last tribe to be defeated and the beginning of the decline of both the American Indian Wars and the American Frontier.

The corrugated cardboard box is invented by Robert Gair, a Brooklyn printer who developed production of paper-board boxes in 1879.

The United States city of Boise, Idaho, drills the first geothermal well.

English archaeologist Flinders Petrie excavates at Tell el-Hesi, Palestine (mistakenly identified as Lachish), the first scientific excavation of an archaeological site in the Holy Land, during which he discovers how tells are formed.

Francis Galton announces a statistical demonstration of the uniqueness and classifiability of individual human fingerprints.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

1895 - Mintonette, later known as volleyball, is created by William G. Morgan at Holyoke, Massachusetts.

The lowest ever UK temperature of −27.2 °C (−17.0 °F) is recorded at Braemar in Aberdeenshire. This record is equalled in 1982 and again in 1995.

In Munich, bicyclists have to pass a test and display license plates.

Rudolf Diesel patents the Diesel engine in Germany.

Oscar Wilde is arrested after losing a libel case against the Marquess of Queensberry.

Oscar Wilde is convicted of "sodomy and gross indecency" and is sentenced to serve 2 years in prison at Reading.

The first professional American football game is played, in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, between the Latrobe YMCA and the Jeannette Athletic Club (Latrobe wins 12–0).

The first game of what will become known as rugby league football is played in England, starting the 1895–96 Northern Rugby Football Union season.

Daniel David Palmer performed the first Chiropractic Adjustment. Palmer's first patient was Harvey Lillard whose complaint was partial deafness after an injury.

George B. Selden is granted the first U.S. patent for an automobile.

Wilhelm Röntgen discovers a type of radiation later known as X-rays.

Chicago Times-Herald race: The first American automobile race in history is sponsored by the Chicago Times-Herald. Press coverage first arouses significant American interest in the automobile.

At the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after his death.

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky proposes a space elevator.

Grace Chisholm Young becomes the first woman awarded a doctorate at a German university.

W. E. B. Du Bois becomes the first African American to receive a Ph.D. from Harvard University.

The gold reserve of the U.S. Treasury is saved when J. P. Morgan and the Rothschilds loan $65 million worth of gold to the United States government.

1897- Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only capital case in United States history where spectral evidence helps secure a conviction.

The first Boston Marathon is held, with fifteen men competing, and won by John McDermott.

"The Stars and Stripes Forever', the American patriotic march by John Philip Sousa, is performed for the first time.

Irish-born theatrical manager Bram Stoker's contemporary Gothic horror novel Dracula is first published (in London); it will influence the direction of vampire literature for the following century.

The Klondike Gold Rush begins when the first successful prospectors arrive in Seattle.

The Oldsmobile is founded in Lansing, MI by Ransom E. Olds.

The Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground metro in North America.

The Battle of Saragarhi: Twenty-one Sikhs of the 36th Sikh of the Sikh Regiment of British India, defend an army post against 10,000 Afghan and Orakzai tribesmen. The battle occurs in the North-West Frontier Province Afghanistan, now a part of Pakistan, which then formed part of British India.

The play Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, premieres in Paris.

The word "computer", meaning an electronic calculation device, is first used.

Bayer first produces Aspirin.

Dos Equis is first brewed in anticipation of new century.

J. J. Thomson discovers the electron as a subatomic particle, over 1,800 times smaller than a proton (in the nucleus).

Hiram Percy Maxim develops the muffler in conjunction with the suppressor.

1899 - Spanish rule ends in Cuba.

Queens and Staten Island become administratively part of New York City.

The United States takes possession of Wake Island in the Pacific Ocean.

Opel Motors opens for business.

Spanish–American War: A peace treaty between the United States and Spain is ratified by the United States Senate.

Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.

In an accident at Grove Hill, Harrow, London, England, Edwin Sewell becomes the world's first driver of a petrol-driven vehicle to be killed; his passenger, Maj. James Richer, dies of injuries three days later.

In Washington state, USA, Mount Rainier National Park is established.

Felix Hoffmann patents aspirin and Bayer registers its name as a trademark.

At Sing Sing prison in Ossining, New York, Martha M. Place becomes the first woman executed in an electric chair.

Guglielmo Marconi successfully transmits a radio signal across the English Channel.

Students at the University of California, Berkeley steal the Stanford Axe from Stanford University yelling at leaders following a baseball game, thus establishing the Axe as a symbol of the rivalry between the schools.

New Richmond Tornado completely destroys the town of New Richmond, Wisconsin, killing 117 and injuring more than 200.

Three Denver, Colorado newspapers publish a story (later proved to be a fabrication) that the Chinese government under the Guangxu Emperor is going to demolish the Great Wall of China.

The paperclip is patented by Johan Vaaler, a Norwegian inventor.

America's first juvenile court is established in Chicago.

Marshall "Major" Taylor wins the world 1-mile (1.6 km) professional cycling championship in Montreal, securing his place as the first African American world champion in any sport.

The White Star Line's transatlantic ocean liner RMS Oceanic sails on her maiden voyage. At 17,272 gross tons and 704 ft (215 m), she is the largest ship afloat, following scrapping of the SS Great Eastern a decade earlier.

Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag is registered for copyright as ragtime music enjoys mainstream popularity in the United States.

The American Line's SS St. Paul becomes the first ocean liner to report her imminent arrival by wireless telegraphy when Marconi's station at The Needles contacts her 66 nautical miles (122 km) off the coast of England.

During the new moon, a near-grand conjunction of the classical planets and several binocular Solar System bodies occur. The Sun, Moon, Mercury, Mars and Saturn are all within 15° of each other, with Venus 5° ahead of this conjunction and Jupiter 15° behind. Accompanying the classical planets in this grand conjunction are Uranus (technically visible unaided in pollution-free skies), Ceres and Pallas.

A large standing stone at Stonehenge falls over, the most recent time this has happened.

David Hilbert creates the modern concept of geometry with the publication of his book Grundlagen der Geometrie.

Oxo beef stock cubes introduced by Liebig's Extract of Meat Company.